• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Failed ship fails in effort to see a failed ship.

On another note, this entire event does nothing but increase my respect for folks that would sail wooden vessels across the oceans with little more than a sextant, a compass, and a knowledge of the stars and sky above them.

Some even did it without the first two.

While out of fashion in this day, they understood more than most appreciate.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Failed ship fails in effort to see a failed ship.

On another note, this entire event does nothing but increase my respect for folks that would sail wooden vessels across the oceans with little more than a sextant, a compass, and a knowledge of the stars and sky above them.

Some even did it without the first two.

While out of fashion in this day, they understood more than most appreciate.
    You want additional respect? Look up the size of Chris Columbus' ships. Holy crap they were tiny. About 60' long, tops. I assumed they were big monsters like you'd see in Master and Commander. Nope. Not much bigger than a luxury yacht.
    They''ve got full size replicas running around you can visit. You'll be amazed.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You want additional respect? Look up the size of Chris Columbus' ships. Holy crap they were tiny. About 60' long, tops. I assumed they were big monsters like you'd see in Master and Commander. Nope. Not much bigger than a luxury yacht.

I know.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    And those people back then would leave their homes and families knowing full well that they likely wouldn’t see them again.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

https://www.wlky.com/article/replica-pinta-christopher-columbus-ship-louisville/43358123#

Saw them last time they were in Louisville. Yeah, out on the ocean on one of these dinky things would freak me out.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    There is a 65' sailing ship in Door County we took a three hour tour on several years ago that had an interesting history. A married couple built it by hand and sailed it around the world twice. It was a really cool boat but the ride could have been a little better only because some passengers got nervous with the sails hauled in and they didn't like the boat heeling to one side. What did Max do? Started whistling the theme song to Gilligan's Island. :laugh:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The part of the James Cameron clip where he mentions the transponder going out at the exact same time that they lost communication and that the big bang sound was heard was a new piece of information for me. It really confirms that the whole "we heard banging sounds" and "they are running out of oxygen" was entirely a charade from the beginning.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    The part of the James Cameron clip where he mentions the transponder going out at the exact same time that they lost communication and that the big bang sound was heard was a new piece of information for me. It really confirms that the whole "we heard banging sounds" and "they are running out of oxygen" was entirely a charade from the beginning.
    Gotta pump those numbers, and keep 10% for the big guy off the front page.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The reports of total loss of all comms of any kind, all at once, was the big "oh crap" indicator for me. I didn't know the specifics of the transponder system, but even these yahoos would have had some redundancy in that system. Being in an independent pressure vessel on its own battery...yeah. It doesn't just randomly fail at the same time as comms.

I wonder what civilian acoustic network he was able to call up and ask within the hour. Obviously the military didn't release that stuff to some outsider immediately. I also wonder if that's 3500 feet depth he's talking about, or 3500 feet above the bottom.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I visited a replica on the Scioto River in Columbus, OH. It was shockingly small.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom