• ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The tell-a-vision said they found remains that appear human
    If true there are about 50 Youtube videos that are going to have to be re-done.

When project Azorian hauled up that Soviet nuclear submarine, the investigators found some crew remains. They held a funeral complete with Soviet naval ensign and national anthem, and videotaped the whole thing. If I recall correctly, the remains were buried at sea. We didn’t tell the Soviets about it until they weren’t Soviets anymore, and then we gave them a copy of the video tape of the funeral service. I never heard the remains described, so I don’t know if they found actual body parts, or something sprayed on the wall, or bulkhead, or whatever the Navy calls it.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Oh hey, the video is public domain.
    The description says they found six bodies, and the video seems to show a couple stretchers apparently with bodies.

The Soviet sub sank to 4900m. I don’t know what depth it suffered the event that caused it to sink, or what depth that it might’ve been crushed.

ETA: Apparently they were able to identify four of the six Soviet sailors by name.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Oh hey, the video is public domain.
    The description says they found six bodies, and the video seems to show a couple stretchers apparently with bodies.

The Soviet sub sank to 4900m. I don’t know what depth it suffered the event that caused it to sink, or what depth that it might’ve been crushed.

ETA: Apparently they were able to identify four of the six Soviet sailors by name.

I wonder where the video of bin laden's burial is.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The tell-a-vision said they found remains that appear human
    Wouldn't surprise me if something was found. Humans are mostly made of water, which isn't compressible. The load would only be on the bodies for a fraction of a second before equilibrium was achieved. Bits or pieces of something probably came up with the wreckage.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    And a video game controller to run it all.
    After watching a YouTube video that someone posted upthread with the tour of the USS Indiana, the video game controller quip just doesn't *ahem* hold water with me. The Indiana, like all of the new Virginia class submarines, use an X-Box game controller to operate its periscope.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After watching a YouTube video that someone posted upthread with the tour of the USS Indiana, the video game controller quip just doesn't *ahem* hold water with me. The Indiana, like all of the new Virginia class submarines, use an X-Box game controller to operate its periscope.
    Yeah, commercial controllers doesnt mean anything. Especially when they are name brands like Logitech.

And the best part is redundancy. You can "stack em cheap and sell em deep" since they are a commodity. Sure, controlling a high speed fighter would be a bad idea. But a sub? Meh. Controller dies? grab one of the spares and move on.

There are much bigger issues than off the shelf controllers. This is a TOTAL non issue.
    (the only way I would fault them is if they didnt carry spares on the voyage, which is the whole point of using off the shelf parts; the ability to have readily available spareS)

Reactions: Ark

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The game controller may not be the problem, but it is a big deal.

The periscope is not "controlled" by the game controller. Well, I think it's still hydraulic with a manual actuator.
    But the periscope is no longer a system of lenses and mirrors. It's now a digital camera system.
    The periscope goes up. Photocells capture the image 360.
    The periscope goes down.
    The game controller comes in when they are viewing the image recorded.
    If it goes bad... then no big deal. Because it is not controlling the sub. Or even the periscope.
    You're controlling the video feedback.

Also, the submarine one is not the $70 or $170 one off the shelf.

Since they were on the way down.
    I don't think it was the controller. I don't think it controls the descent, but I'm not sure.
    If the sub hit something, then I'd maybe think so.

I think the problem was displayed in part by the controller though.
    The thought that, hey, tech is SO ADVANCED, that we don't have to worry about hundreds (or thousands) of years experience is no longer necessary, and is useless.
    It seemed to be a theme in all the videos I watched.
    And new stuff can change things. But you still have to be aware of why things were done before.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I'm sure you know way more about this than I do, but according to the articles I've read, the *photonic masts* (not periscopes any more) are directly controlled by X-Box devices. This one, for example, suggests that the masts are operated by the X-Box controllers, replacing "clunky helicopter-style joysticks. It also says that the controllers are regular off the shelf ones.
    “That joystick is by no means cheap, and it is only designed to fit on a Virginia-class submarine,” said Senior Chief Mark Eichenlaub. “I can go to any video game store and procure an Xbox controller anywhere in the world, so it makes a very easy replacement.”

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah, commercial controllers doesnt mean anything. Especially when they are name brands like Logitech.

And the best part is redundancy. You can "stack em cheap and sell em deep" since they are a commodity. Sure, controlling a high speed fighter would be a bad idea. But a sub? Meh. Controller dies? grab one of the spares and move on.

There are much bigger issues than off the shelf controllers. This is a TOTAL non issue.
    (the only way I would fault them is if they didnt carry spares on the voyage, which is the whole point of using off the shelf parts; the ability to have readily available spareS)
    Agree. It's all run by computer anyway. You're just supplying digital inputs for what you want to do.

Although I wouldn't have gone Bluetooth...

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    But they don't pilot the sub with it. Also, I saw a vid on YouTube wherein Stockton Rush pointed to a button and said that was the only button there was. There was a button and a video game controller, and a laptop, and it looked like that was all.

No way THAT ends badly at 12,000+ feet down.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wouldn't surprise me if something was found. Humans are mostly made of water, which isn't compressible. The load would only be on the bodies for a fraction of a second before equilibrium was achieved. Bits or pieces of something probably came up with the wreckage.
    I'm just a dumb toolmaker, but the air in the sub, when instantly compressed, heats up. A LOT. Think, diesel engine combustion chamber, only with lots more compression.

Air in a diesel engine with a 20:1 compression ratio is heated to about 1200°F just from compression. This sub's compression ratio was more like 400:1.

Now, somebody more sciencecy than me would have to tell you if 20X the pressure gets 20X the temp, but either way, it got HOT in that sub for several milliseconds.

While the water in those bodies wasn't compressible, it could certainly be boiled off in the presence of that extreme heat.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm just a dumb toolmaker, but the air in the sub, when instantly compressed, heats up. A LOT. Think, diesel engine combustion chamber, only with lots more compression.

Air in a diesel engine with a 20:1 compression ratio is heated to about 1200°F just from compression. This sub's compression ratio was more like 400:1.

Now, somebody more sciencecy than me would have to tell you if 20X the pressure gets 20X the temp, but either way, it got HOT in that sub for several milliseconds.

While the water in those bodies wasn't compressible, it could certainly be boiled off in the presence of that extreme heat.
    Only for milliseconds before cooling. It takes time for boiloff to happen layer by layer. Mechanical compression and possible forced extrusion through ruptured hull probably does more damage than compressive heating. But it's all guessing and conjecture, nobody has ever tested it before.

Top Bottom