• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As far a budget entry level rifle goes, its pretty tough to beat the Savage Hog Hunter in 308. For the price and all the features you get from the factory its a great value.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Can also add Howa's (they even sell a barreled action by itself if you plan to put a new stock on anyway), Weatherby Vanguard's, and Ruger American's to the list. Definitely some of the nicer budget rifles.

Dang, I always forget the Tikkas and Howas. They used to be less expensive till everyone caught onto how nice they were.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Bergara and CZ have some nice actions and good looking rifles as well. If you want something that is unique-ish

CZ makes some fine bolt guns based on the Mauser design. I'm really lusting for a 527, which they call a mini-Mauser in 17 hornet or 17 Rem.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Remington 700 or 7Weatherby vanguardHowa TikkaSavageBrowningRuger hawkeCzCooperUltra lite armsHave a ruger mk stainless with a boat paddle stock that shoots extremely accurate with 110 gr bullets thru 168 ,just the right weight and size for a all arounder.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I saw a new Mossberg a customer ordered in at ZX Guns in Goshen last week. 308 scout rifle that had the threaded barrel with flash hider, it took a standard AR10, 10 round box magazine; all for $569

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The Scout rifles look like too much of a compromise to me between a classic hunting rifle and say an AR... Wanting to get away from the pseudo-military appearance for once. :):

Boy there are a lot of options though. Which almost puts me back to square one.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The Remington of today is not the same as it used to be. Nothing wrong with a Remy made before Freedom Group purchased them. Short answer here is Ruger American or Savage

My thoughts as well. I'd be looking at Ruger or Savage.

I'd buy a Rem mainly for the massive aftermarket. In otherwords, I'd buy it knowing I was going to spend a LOT more on it. That's far away from entry-level.

You could do much worse than a Hog Hunter or model 10.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm been looking at the Ruger Predator in .308. Comes with a thread barrel, and one piece scope mount. Found them readily available at $400 and under.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I like my savage 10FCP-SR. Those can be had reasonably (sub $600). I kick myself, I should have bought a hog hunter from a fellow ingo-er about a year ago. I didn't really need it, I just really like them.
    I like the 700s as well, however bang for buck led me to the savage. If you do some homework on the savages, they only need simple tools for barrel swaps and the like. While I won't shoot my barrel out anytime soon, or swap calibers, down the road I may like to tinker with it.

Last edited:

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I've been looking into a "budget" 308 bolt gun like the OP so maybe you guys can help me out also. What I've been thinking about is either a Savage Hog Hunter ($450-$525) versus a Savage Axis II ($400-$450 with the cheap scope that comes with it). Wanting it mostly for deer hunting, but to also work for the random 100-300 yard plinking yet be modify-able enough to work as a base gun if I ever wanted to try semi-long range shooting. Long term, is the Hog Hunger (with the 11/111 action) going to be work the extra money in accuracy and durability over the Axis? My gut says yes as I have yet to regret spending a little more to get the "better one" but I'm a novice to bolt guns so figured you guys could give me some feed back first.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes, go with the hog hunter with the 11/111 action over the axis. That's worth the extra couple bucks over the axis. And those scoped packages are throw away junk.

I've been looking into a "budget" 308 bolt gun like the OP so maybe you guys can help me out also. What I've been thinking about is either a Savage Hog Hunter ($450-$525) versus a Savage Axis II ($400-$450 with the cheap scope that comes with it). Wanting it mostly for deer hunting, but to also work for the random 100-300 yard plinking yet be modify-able enough to work as a base gun if I ever wanted to try semi-long range shooting. Long term, is the Hog Hunger (with the 11/111 action) going to be work the extra money in accuracy and durability over the Axis? My gut says yes as I have yet to regret spending a little more to get the "better one" but I'm a novice to bolt guns so figured you guys could give me some feed back first.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I have an axis in 223 and really like it. It didn't come with a scope. I paid 199 for it after a 50 dollar savage rebate. It shoots very well. If you can find an axis 308 without the scope at a good price you won't be sorry.

I put a Bushnell Banner 3x9 scope on it and I am getting very good accuracy. It is more accurate than me.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Go with the 11. The budget guns don't have aftermarket upgrade support, really. And the scope and mount aren't worth the effort it takes to remove them and throw them away.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Tired of my SA 'weapons of war' and would like to get a classic hunter.

Any suggestions for an economical entry-level .308 bolt action?

You said "economical" and "entry-level". That spells Savage Axis.

My wife got me one when I turned 50. It shoots surprisingly well. I cut 1.5 coils off the factory trigger spring to lighten it up. Mine doesn't have the accutrigger. Pretty smooth and crisp trigger now. It never did have much gritty creep. I also dropped it into a Boyd's laminated stock. That right there completely transformed the gun. The gun will still shoot well with the flimsy factory stock, you just won't like handling it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My experience with the Edge/Axis has led me to believe that you can get much more for your money. I've owned an Edge in .308 since its release, before they changed the name to 'Axis'. Without the Accutrigger, you will be doing trigger work or swapping it out completely. Like daddusmaximus said, there is no creep even right out of the box, but it's so heavy it will throw your shots, which is not at all what you want in any firearm, let alone a bolt action that you are shooting for groups. The stock also leaves a lot to be desired. I looked into aftermarket stocks and triggers, but for the money that you are going to invest after replacing everything that actually needs replaced, you'll be better off spending that much on a better rifle like a Savage 10 or Remmy 700. I paid less than $300, but not much less than that, if I could do it over I would have saved another $300 and bought a lightly used Savage 10 or Remington 700 which would have given me a much better rifle to begin with and many more aftermarket upgrades that would have given me a great shooting rifle.

The Axis isn't all bad, it's just not comfortable to shoot. I'm able to consistently get 1/2 moa groups with handloads, I just have to work extremely hard at it compared to shooting a rifle with a better stock and trigger. If you didn't have to replace those and end up with $800 in it, I'd highly recommend it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    If you could find a use Howa that would be the way to go. I have one in .270 and it is a beautifully built gun for the price and accurate. Someone told me it was the same gun as the weatherby.

I had the same dilemma this year as I wanted a new legal rifle. I ended up reading reviews online and product literature. When I went to hold the guns it came down to the Savage vs the Ruger American. I ended up with the american as the stock seemed nicer, actions were equal but the barrel on the american just seemed thicker and more nicely finished.

It has been a tack driver. Has their version of the accutrigger which is nice. You get a lot of gun for 349.00.

Top Bottom