• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I have a female friend looking at getting her first handgun and was wondering on caliber I should try her out on. I know I am suggesting a revolver for her but not really sure on the caliber that would work good for her. She has no experience with firearms.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have a female friend looking at getting her first handgun and was wondering on caliber I should try her out on. I know I am suggesting a revolver for her but not really sure on the caliber that would work good for her. She has no experience with firearms.

For what? Just for her first shooting experience, or for something else?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1st. Get her started with basic safety and some range time.
    2nd. Maybe some formal training.
    3rd. See if there is an INGO M&S in the area. Great opportunity (sp?) To try different weapons.
    If no M&S, maybe an INGOer might meet you, let her try some out.

You can't tell someone who's never driven or thought about a car, what they want/need.
    They need some basic education, thought, experiementation.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Agreed. First place to start is a basic pistol training class. That way she'll have a limited knowledge of firearms and could try out a couple to see what she likes. She needs to learn to walk before she can run.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Good call on the not making a decision for her. what is M&S? I thought about taking her up to Indy trading post. They have a decent selection for rentals. I only have a glock 23 and my brother has a Jiminez 25 caliber so I would want her to try out some others. Also, any suggestions on training classes on southside of Indy

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    She wants something for self-defense. She is nervous given all the shootings lately.

I know revolvers have a big following of menfolk who think they are the perfect firearm for their womenfolk who aren't well-versed in firearms. But dangit, we aren't stupid and can be taught how to use complicated machinery. If your recommendation for a revolver is based off the fact that her experience is limited, change the experience, not her options.

If after trying several, she still opts for a revolver, be sure to include reloading with a speed loader as part of her training. Don't (ahem, let me re-phrase: I recommend that you not) go with a J-frame model, especially a lightweight version. Load it with the hottest rounds she can shoot with accuracy AND precision.

And make sure she practices without cheating and pulling the hammer back first. Chances are she won't have that option/opportunity, and if she does, and ends up not firing, she now has to de-cock, which on a revolver is inherently dangerous. Not a good self-defense practice to get into, IMO.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Thanks for the advice and opinion 88GT. and also thanks for info on M&S. I will have to be on the lookout for one by me.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Owning a firearm-whether for home defense or concealed carry needs to be approached with some thought, training, and a little experience- and more training. Someone gave me good advice when I expressed interest in owning a gun for self - defense; 'Having a gun doesn't keep you safe. A gun won't think, reason or act on your behalf. You must do the thinking, prepare or take action to defend yourself and family.'
    It sounds simple but in reality when faced with a predator type, most of us are going to be surprised, nervous, scared.
    The best way to prepare for a confrontation is training, training and more training. Just owning and shooting a gun once or twice is not training.
    The NRA sponsers a basic pistol course in several locations.
    NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training
    Not a bad place to begin, along with the NRA Personal Protection course later too.
    You can find other classes but the NRA Basic Pistol shooting course was a big help. I took the course before even choosing-purchasing a gun for myself. I would recommend your friend not rush out and buy a gun until she does some type of firearms instruction.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know revolvers have a big following of menfolk who think they are the perfect firearm for their womenfolk who aren't well-versed in firearms. But dangit, we aren't stupid and can be taught how to use complicated machinery. If your recommendation for a revolver is based off the fact that her experience is limited, change the experience, not her options.

If after trying several, she still opts for a revolver, be sure to include reloading with a speed loader as part of her training. Don't (ahem, let me re-phrase: I recommend that you not) go with a J-frame model, especially a lightweight version. Load it with the hottest rounds she can shoot with accuracy AND precision.

And make sure she practices without cheating and pulling the hammer back first. Chances are she won't have that option/opportunity, and if she does, and ends up not firing, she now has to de-cock, which on a revolver is inherently dangerous. Not a good self-defense practice to get into, IMO.

Some of us menfolk like revolvers.
    I carry a s&w model 19 half the time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Some may recommend it, because that's what they carry.
    Myself, I believe in letting a person shoot a wide variety. Teaching them the differences/advantages/disadvantages of each. And then letting the person decide for themselves... man or woman.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, there is nothing wrong with being a woman and carrying a revolver. I personally love my Ruger SP101 357 and the point and shoot simplicity of it.

I have shot a Taurus ultra lightweight 38 special that I absolutely hated. It was too lightweight and hurt to shoot. I can't remember if I hated it or the S&W 380 Bodyguard more. Both were painful to shoot.

My SP101 is a solid gun and although I may have a slight hand jerk with heavier rounds, it is not painful to shoot.

I purchased a Sig Ultra Compact 1911 intending to carry it. I had some FTF due to feed ramp issues and have put it back up and started carrying my SP101 again. It shoots every time. Until I find the ultimate carry gun I like better, I will stick with it.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some may recommend it, because that's what they carry.
    Myself, I believe in letting a person shoot a wide variety. Teaching them the differences/advantages/disadvantages of each. And then letting the person decide for themselves... man or woman.

If you're going to highlight a pertinent part of my post, then please do me the favor of including the pertinent part, will ya?.

In this case, it has nothing to do with your personal preference, but the asinine notion that simple [the revovler] is better simply because experience is low. It's insulting and degrading to imply that a revolver is a better choice for this reason. Aside from the fact that it ignores any input from her, it assumes she is unable/unlikely to take to the education required to operate a semi-auto (or that the man trying to teach her is incapable of doing that), and that it's simply easier to hand her the firearm she can't possibly screw up with than to take the time to teach her how to use several different firearms...and then let HER choose. The revolver default is the lazy suggestion.

I don't care what she opts to carry, (I happen to carry exactly what I recommend OP not get: a 2" lightweight barely-there. But I'm not a newb, I'm comfortable with it, and nobody made the choice but me.) as long as she's the one that made the choice. And as long as it was a real choice. "Here, you will want a revolver because it's simpler to use" is not a choice.

If someone recommends something because that's what he carries, he's not doing a very good job of making a recommendation. What makes it good for him, might not make it good for her, or the next him, or him, or him, or him. Now, if in your recommendation you mention that you carry X because of A, B, and C and those reasons also satisfy the requirements given for an EDC carry option by the person seeking recommendations, then by all means, throw it out. But your carrying it is insufficient on its own to justify the recommendation.

All 'you/your' references are generic in nature and not intended to mean anyone in particular.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, there is nothing wrong with being a woman and carrying a revolver. I personally love my Ruger SP101 357 and the point and shoot simplicity of it.

I have shot a Taurus ultra lightweight 38 special that I absolutely hated. It was too lightweight and hurt to shoot. I can't remember if I hated it or the S&W 380 Bodyguard more. Both were painful to shoot.

My SP101 is a solid gun and although I may have a slight hand jerk with heavier rounds, it is not painful to shoot.

I purchased a Sig Ultra Compact 1911 intending to carry it. I had some FTF due to feed ramp issues and have put it back up and started carrying my SP101 again. It shoots every time. Until I find the ultimate carry gun I like better, I will stick with it.

I'm not sure anyone thinks a woman carrying a revolver is a bad thing. Quite the contrary, I get the feeling some still think it's the better choice.

Top Bottom