• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Okay guys, I traded my P11 (with a good stipple job), 12rd magazine, hybrid style holster, a little ammo, and $250 for a Glock 35 (with a REALLY BAD stipple job), 3 15rd magazines, and a SERPA holster this weekend. I know some of you might think that was pretty stupid, but I was never completely happy with the Kel-tec, and I have been wanting a G35 for a few months now.

I knew that there was some stippling done to the frame before the trade (not done by the trader), but I wasn't too worried because I can pretty much fix any issue the gun would have functionally, and I am pretty good at stippling (see example of my work down a little further), so I figured I could stipple over what had been done, and fix it up myself.

I got the gun and it was worse than I anticipated, but I really wanted it, and like I said, I was never completely happy with the kel tec (nothing wrong with it, just didn't like the way it felt or shot).
    If you like glocks... or guns in general, you should probably sit down, because this next picture is pretty bad...

dscn2113u.jpg

As you can see, the stippling is so random and in some of the dumbest places (like the bevertail area where the web of your hand goes and on the trigger), and the trigger guard is pretty messed up too.
    So I called Glock, and it would be $150 to swap this frame for a new frame. A little too steep for me, since I had to scrounge for the $250 to add to the trade in the first place.

I decided I would try to do some work on it and see if I can't fix it up while I try to decide if I should save up for a new frame.

So here are some close ups of some of the stippled parts. I had only worked on this for about an hour with some elbow grease and sandpaper, so it is not near done, but this is where I am.

Pretty much what I am trying to do is sand off the "mushrooms" of plastic that come up when you stipple and leave just the divit in the plastic. Ideally I would like to fill the divits in and then sand again to make it all smooth. Once I have everything all stock looking again, I plan on stippling the grip panels similar to how I did on my chopped glock 22.
    5129203836_89f7abfdff.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use to fill in the divits? or any other suggestions on how to fix this up? I have also thought about re filling the bottom of the trigger guard so I can form it like the one on my G22 above.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow, that's pretty bad.

I don't do stippling but I would think a larger tip soldering iron would be able to cover up the old job. This would mean you would still have stippling in the "odd' places. I would think the pattern would be pretty rough too.

Would JB Weld stick to Glock Polymer? You could use it to fill in the holes and sand flat. It would probably be pretty noticeable without some kind of paint job on the frame.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Was the previous owner mad at the gun when he did that? WOW! that is a shame to have that happen to a perfectly good weapon. You may have no other choice aside from going to finer and finer grit sandpaper working it like you might body filler on a car.

Or just buy some grip tape and cover the stipple job in the grip tape.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Wow, that's pretty bad.

I don't do stippling but I would think a larger tip soldering iron would be able to cover up the old job. This would mean you would still have stippling in the "odd' places. I would think the pattern would be pretty rough too.

Would JB Weld stick to Glock Polymer? You could use it to fill in the holes and sand flat. It would probably be pretty noticeable without some kind of paint job on the frame.

I can stipple over it just fine, but I like to keep it kinda stock looking, so I usually only stipple in the grip panels. It is the rest of the frame I am worried about.

I have though about JB weld, or a bedding compound (never used that before) to fill them in and then sand down, but you are right, it would def need some sort of overcoat to look good. Duracoat would put the overall price up there too close to buying a new frame, so I could rattle can it it it came out okay.

Was the previous owner mad at the gun when he did that? WOW! that is a shame to have that happen to a perfectly good weapon. You may have no other choice aside from going to finer and finer grit sandpaper working it like you might body filler on a car.

Or just buy some grip tape and cover the stipple job in the grip tape.
    some sort of filler is what I am looking for. Any ideas aside from JB weld or a bedding compound?

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    epoxy would be another choice for filler that would probably work well. It is very strong and sandable.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    That stippling job leaves me speechless. Never cared for it much in the first place but that is absolutely horrible.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    epoxy would be another choice for filler that would probably work well. It is very strong and sandable.

What kind do you suggest? and what color would it be when it dried?

Eh, if you wait long enough it'll go KABOOM, and then you can start over with a fresh piece of plastic.
    I thought about that, and actually would be okay with that outcome as long as I don't get injured haha

I'm not a glock fan, but at least you can count on a glock to fire, something to can't say about kel-tec
    The Kel-tec always went boom when I pulled the trigger, it just wasn't the small 9mm I was looking for. Might get a DB9 or similar later down the road. Nothing wrong with the kel-tec, just wasn't my cup of tea

That stippling job leaves me speechless. Never cared for it much in the first place but that is absolutely horrible.
    I didn't like the look of stippling at first, but that was because most people stippled the whole frame. I have stipple the grip panels on my other glock (the bottom pic in the 1st post) and I did the panels on the kel-tec too. If you don't go overboard I think it does provide a better, more tacky, feel to the grip (you have to sand it down a little after stippling it though).

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    for the epoxy you could go to menards back in the paint department, it is with the rest of the glues. Most of them will dry white or clear so you will still need to add color. However i am sure it wouldnt crack or flake from the vibrations of firing the weapon.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I don't know Clay, I think I am going to try to prove you wrong. I think my stippling looks pretty good, and I think I can get this frame to look "okay" even if it never looks great. I will take your challenge. :)

Who knows, maybe I'll try to fix this one up while I save $ to get an exchange frame.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't know Clay, I think I am going to try to prove you wrong. I think my stippling looks pretty good, and I think I can get this frame to look "okay" even if it never looks great. I will take your challenge. :)

like I said, stipple the hell out of it!!! :rockwoot:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Marine Tex epoxy. You should be able to find it at a well stocked marina. It comes out a little more grey than the frame but doesn't look too bad. Tape off what you don't want covered, mix up the epoxy and apply it with a wooden popsicle stick. After it sits for a few minutes you can "tap" the epoxy with the popsicle stick which will raise peaks in the epoxy. Once the epoxy has set you can sand down the peaks to leave a finish very similar to what Robar does when they do a grip reduction.
    glock1.jpg

That's the only way I can think of to make it look presentable based on where it has been damaged. You could also build some of the material that's been removed from the trigger guard back up with the epoxy. Glob it on, let it set up and sand it back down where you want it. You could then go back over it and add texture.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Looks like I need to swing by Menards and get some epoxy. I was thinking about taping some note cards up against the side of the trigger guard to shape the epoxy as it dries and then sand it down to how I like it.

I got all the "mushrooms" off, so it FEELS okay, but I want it to look pretty good too haha.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Jt, I would hit the areas you want fixed, or the entire grip, with some 400 grit then tape it off and shoot it with some Truck Bed Liner in a can.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    That original stipple job almost made me cry it was so bad. It's a shame to see some ody abused a good gun like that. Good to see it's found a good home now. Let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom