• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I hate to share "trade secrets"...but check some options here out you can make a mold, mix product with the color, shape to your liking and let cure.....most products curing can be made faster with heat....roll of masking tape, some cardboard, and a blow dryer work well

http://www.smooth-on.com/

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Just to clear the air, The stipple job was not my work......... Glad to see your repair coming together..... Good luck......... Also great stipple job on the Kel Tec!
    haha I made sure to mention that. And thanks!

I bought some epoxy tonight. I think I am going to try the hit the trigger first because if I mess it up it is the cheapest part to replace. I have drill coming up, and a lot of work, but I will keep you guys posted.

ghostpoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have heard using JB weld too, never had to use it myself. That's a sad looking stippling job, I just want to know what original owner were thinking of and why. I guess to me I would rather put some decal grips on it before I would do that. But hey to each their own.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I almost got JB weld, but they had an epoxy that was labeled for use on plastics so I figured that would be better. It is yellow when it dries though, so it will need some sort of color when it is done.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not too long ago there was an in depth thread about someone fixing one they had traded for or bought. It included a lot of pics as well.

I couldn't find it but I'll keep looking, maybe someone else remembers where it was...

EDITED: Sorry, found it but due to some personal attacks I guess the post went out of control and was edited and the pics removed too. It won't be much help now...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing_on_getting_bad_stippling_off_a_glock.html

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Not too long ago there was an in depth thread about someone fixing one they had traded for or bought. It included a lot of pics as well.

I couldn't find it but I'll keep looking, maybe someone else remembers where it was...

EDITED: Sorry, found it but due to some personal attacks I guess the post went out of control and was edited and the pics removed too. It won't be much help now...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing_on_getting_bad_stippling_off_a_glock.html

Thanks, I vaguely remember seeing that, but looks like it is down now. I sent the OP a PM and maybe he will post here.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I mixed a little of the Epoxy tonight and put it on the trigger and the safety (cheapest parts to replace if they get messed up) and I didn't let it cure long enough (probably less than an hour... I was impatient) so it peeled right off. Getting ready to try it again after cleaning the parts off. I'll let it cure for longer this time.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I know im late to the party, but I would have suggested plastic welding over it. One of my polymer guns was scratched to hell and back (dragged behind a truck for 2 days, testing durability), and after 2 hours in the hands of an experienced plastic welder it looked brand spanking new.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Total it was 22$ + a case of beer. Now admittedly that was the friend price, but I would be willing to bet the not friend price was still under teh cost of a new frame

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've had good results using JB Weld with plastic. The color would be close, too. I wonder how well something like Hurculiner would adhere to plastic? That would cover the bad work and still give you a textured finish.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Total it was 22$ + a case of beer. Now admittedly that was the friend price, but I would be willing to bet the not friend price was still under teh cost of a new frame

Where would one find a place that would do this?

the epoxy peeled right off the trigger again, but it has stuck pretty well on the mag release. I got the mag release sanded down and fit in the frame already. Maybe I will try the trigger again tonight after work. The epoxy had already started to set by the time I put it on the trigger, while it was still pretty fresh on the mag release. I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    did you clean the trigger really well with some alcohol or something? There could be a lot of oil build up on it keeping anything from adhering to it well.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Nah, I know I should have, but I couldn't find anything good to use to clean it. We have some nailpolish remover, WD40, vodka, dish soap ... any of those sound like something I should try before doing this again? Some Carb or brake cleaner would probably be good, but I don't have any. I don't think we have any rubbing alcohol or anything right now (college life)

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    of those the best sounds like nail polish remover, however I would recommend picking up some rubbing alcohol next time you're close to a supermarket.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    when I paint a car, regular old dish soap (no waxes or oils in dish soap) works well.

I would also sand the area you intend to add the epoxy with a medium grit sandpaper, then wash with soap/water, and blow dry. You could use mineral spirits or lacquer thinner if you REALLY want to be sure all of the oils are gone.

Top Bottom