Sully: 40 years in the air, and I'll be judged by 208 seconds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Simulations say you could have made it back to the airport" I was taught, from the beginning, to NEVER try and make it back to the airport after an engine failure during climb out. Hell I can't believe there was ever any question he did the right thing. He not only did the right things, he did them perfectly.

Simulations where the pilot not only knew something was going to happen, but what was going to happen.
    Not exactly fair.
    Sully didn't know something was going to happen. He did not know what was happening. He had to deduce, think, make decisions, etc.
    OODA.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    "Simulations say you could have made it back to the airport" I was taught, from the beginning, to NEVER try and make it back to the airport after an engine failure during climb out. Hell I can't believe there was ever any question he did the right thing. He not only did the right things, he did them perfectly.

Yeah, I had a problem with that in the trailer.

"So, you're saying I should have turned a rapidly-descending, fully-loaded, fully-fueled jet back over a large population area and hope I make the runway, instead of aiming for an unpopulated river? Yeah, that makes sense..."

*SMACK UPSIDE THE HEAD*

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

"So, you're saying I should have turned a rapidly-descending, fully-loaded, fully-fueled jet back over a large population area and hope I make the runway, instead of aiming for an unpopulated river? Yeah, that makes sense..."

*SMACK UPSIDE THE HEAD*

A serious "Gibbs" smack is appropriate here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

*SMACK UPSIDE THE HEAD*

Bean Counters always going to count.
    They only see the loss of the plane.
    If the plane dropped on the city, then they'd be mad about that.

Can't have it both ways.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sully: 40 years in the air, and I'll be judged by 208 seconds.

Y'know... if you're gonna be judged forever by 208 seconds of your life, you could do a hell of a lot worse than THOSE 208 seconds.

And not a whole lot better.

Good job, Sully.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/sully-...defends-scenes-planes-crashing-004221884.htmlhttps://www.yahoo.com/movies/sully-...defends-scenes-planes-crashing-004221884.html
    “This man had done his job perfectly for 4 million passengers, and, as he says in the movie, his entire career was going to be judged on 208 seconds, as opposed to the thousands and thousands of hours he did his job perfectly.”

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. I know I posted this thread months ago, but I finally had some free time. Well, I should have been doing lawn work, or something, but what the heck.
    I loved the movie.
    I'm glad I saw it in the theatre.
    Clint Eastwood directed, Tom Hanks acted. The quality of the movie was awesome.
    While it centered on Sully, I love the fact that they showed other aspects. The NYPD guys that helicoptered and jumped in. The ferry boats that jumped right in to help people.
    Yes, when I watched the bean counters trying to micromanage AFTER THE FACT, I wanted to stand up and yell at the screen.
    I've personally seen it too many times.
    Guys take hours or days to come to a conclusion, using data not available at the time, to tell someone what they should have decided in mere moments.
    It's a shame Sully had to figure out about the "timing" and the "human element" himself.
    The NTSB should be there to find the problem and cause it to be fixed.
    They should NOT be there to conduct a witch hunt. Which is the way it looked to me.

I liked how they showed him dreaming about it afterward, and wondering, did he do right. Would he do it different.
    Sometimes when people do heroic things, there are nightmares and second guessing.
    And they don't know, that it happens. In TV and movies, the hero is heroic, and nothing else.

So, what I'm saying is :yesway: to the movie.
    And :yesway: to Sully.
    I hope I one day get to me him.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://news.yahoo.com/photos-miracle-hudson-10-years-slideshow-wp-201840700.html
    10 years anniversary.

Some of the comments though...
    38186777020_64a024_192sq.jpg
    amy11 hours agoGood pilots don't put planes in the water. "Sully" is no hero.

Top Bottom