Sully: 40 years in the air, and I'll be judged by 208 seconds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    https://news.yahoo.com/photos-miracle-hudson-10-years-slideshow-wp-201840700.html
    10 years anniversary.

Some of the comments though...
    38186777020_64a024_192sq.jpg
    amy11 hours agoGood pilots don't put planes in the water. "Sully" is no hero.

Some people just live to be **** bags.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The little moron needs to take a look at that area on Google Earth and tell us where else he could have set down that wouldn't have killed all aboard and likely some people on the ground, too

If you listen to the recordings, he's cool as ice and making the correct calls when they need to be made. He's offered a turn back to LGA but knows he can't make that, he's offered a straight in to TEB but knows he won't make that either; he then calmly announces to ATC "We're going into the river" and gets down to business making it happen

He's as much a hero as anybody is, a lot of being a hero seems to be doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done

She needs to be dragged onto a public feed and given a flight simulator program that will model that aircraft type under those conditions and then be given a few chances to show us how she would have done it
    :rolleyes:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The little moron needs to take a look at that area on Google Earth and tell us where else he could have set down that wouldn't have killed all aboard and likely some people on the ground, too

If you listen to the recordings, he's cool as ice and making the correct calls when they need to be made. He's offered a turn back to LGA but knows he can't make that, he's offered a straight in to TEB but knows he won't make that either; he then calmly announces to ATC "We're going into the river" and gets down to business making it happen

He's as much a hero as anybody is, a lot of being a hero seems to be doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done

She needs to be dragged onto a public feed and given a flight simulator program that will model that aircraft type under those conditions and then be given a few chances to show us how she would have done it
    :rolleyes:

Well duh! He should have just not hit the damn birds! :rolleyes:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The photos of the plane in a museum got me curious as to where it ended up, and I found this video that is pretty interesting.
    Among the things I learned from the video was that they found that each engine sucked in 2 geese, 3 males and 1 female. There are actually people trained to examine bird remains, which is called "snarch" according to the museum curator.

[video=youtube;y4t8VUFiHLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4t8VUFiHLM[/video]

Unfortunately, the future of the museum seems to be in doubt.
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article224298985.html

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I hope she was duly dumped on, or ratioed, or whatever. I would find it karmicly amusing if none of the airlines would let her book a seat.

ETA: and wait a minute, 10 YEARS ago? Say what? Wasn't it just a couple years ago? Lordy.

The movie was a couple years ago.
    The event was 10 years.
    My how time flies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That comment was made by someone. Using a car as an example.

Would love to put that person behind the yoke of a sim and even tell them ahead of time (Sully didnt have that luxury) that there will be birds. As soon as they see them they need to avoid them.

Knowing how small those things are, and how fast he was climbing out, I know by the time they see the birds, there is no way they could avoid them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Would love to put that person behind the yoke of a sim and even tell them ahead of time (Sully didnt have that luxury) that there will be birds. As soon as they see them they need to avoid them.

Knowing how small those things are, and how fast he was climbing out, I know by the time they see the birds, there is no way they could avoid them.

What. You don't think driving 65 mph on a 2 dimensional plane qualifies you to speak about driving hundreds of mph on a 3 dimensional plane?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you've never had the opportunity to see one of those door slides inflate you don't know what you're missing! When I first saw the bottle that aired them up I knew they were too small to fill the whole thing. What I didn't know is that there's a valve at the slide that creates a plenum affect to fully inflate the raft and it inflates RIGHT NOW! It's literally inflated before the door is fully opened. We tested the feature on an A-320 when I worked at United and it was uber cool, if I had known what was coming I would have had a video camera going.

Top Bottom