• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to buy fresh honey from a guy in Rockville, but his colony either collapsed or migrated a couple of years ago. I have heard that this is a pretty common story these days, honey bees are not as common as they once were.

That said, you can still buy real honey from Whole Foods, when available.

-Paul

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Most farmers markets have someone selling local, "real" honey. Local honey is good for people with allergies as it helps build immunity from pollen and such that is within that geographical area.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Kroger's usually has real honey, in or near their organic section. Be prepared to pay through the nose for it though.

To continue what PaulF said; bee's all across the country have been dieing off for years and many small producers have been going under. Many different theories/reasons from new mite infestations to new pesticides killing them off, not sure what all is correct but the disappearance of honeybees is widely evident.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I only buy locally sourced honey, so it's not something I worry about. I usually have enough at the end of summer to last all winter. Shoot, this year I still have a good quart or more left.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    yep, I keep bees. Here are some pictures from a swarm my hive had last year that I captured.

Bees10_zps69c536b8.jpg

Bees18_zps8bd8a86a.jpg

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    depending on where you live, there are plenty of local markets where you can buy honey. you can also go to almost any mexican grocery and find honey. local honey is better for you, but the stuff from Mexico is really good. it just won't help with allergies the way the local stuff will.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Guys,

Find a local beekeeper and BUY LOCAL! We buy from a guy down the road in Gallon jars. No comparison with store honey and keeps apiarists around.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I get local honey and it is definitely better than store bought. The taste varies slightly depending on the plants the bees were visiting. There are fewer European honey bees than there used to be but you can still find local honey.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm always up for buying local. Anyone know of a local honey hole on or near the south side of Indy?
    Nope, but you can check with the Indiana BeeKeepers Association. They have a comprehensive list of locals. Then you can just call or email them. I've also found it to be very useful to check the Beekeepers out at the State Fair. Get some honey there and check for local beekeepers. You might also check your local green grocers, farmers market or fruit and veggie stands.

Indiana Beekeepers Association - Local Honey

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've messed with bees for years. Right now it looks like it's shaping up to a really good honey season. My bees put up over 50 pounds of honey from the black locust bloom, and the clover is just now starting to peek out.

I haven't had problems with colony collapse disorder, since I do things mostly the old-school ways. My bees all came from wild swarms that I collected and I never use medications or treatments in my hives.

I haven't sold honey for a few years, except for here and there to people who ask me for some. This year I should have a lot, so maybe I could consider trades for 9mm ammo.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bulk honey sold in supermarkets, etc. is sourced from multiple commercial producers in many different countries, including China. As the product- generically called "honey"- is aggregated before it is finally bottled for sale, it becomes very difficult if not impossible to trace the actual origins and makeup of the final product. Who cares, and why? Large commercial operations use any number of practices to maximize honey production, from feeding the bees High Fructose Corn Syrup (instead of just allowing the bees to forage) and using various chemicals (some of which are banned in the US) to treat mites and diseases (which are more prevalent in large scale productions) to cutting the final product with High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is virtually indistinguishable from "real" honey on laboratory analysis- on of the charges recently leveled at Chinese honey).

By buying local you can ensure direct acountabiity for exactly how your honey-- or any other local foods you buy, are produced-- by talking to the producer and asking questions yourself. Learn what makes a difference, and why!

There are several very good local producers in Indiana. Local Farmer's markets are good sources! Ask questions-- beekeepers are usually very happy to talk about their "girls"!

We keep bees, have 3 hives here (Beautiful sunny downtown Rocky Ripple Indiana! :) that are doing VERY well this season so far. Depending on the season (I haven't extracted any "rent" yet this season) I have honey that I usually sell to friends and family but would consider trade for .22 ammo! PM me if interested!

This video claims that as much as 75% of the honey we buy in supermarkets and convenient stores isn't "real" honey and is imported from China .

Does anyone make "real" honey here in Indiana ?

Top Bottom