• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    How does Surefire compare to Fenix in terms of design and quality? I own Surefire G2s an x300 weapon light and foreend / light combo for my shotgun. I also own Streamlight TLR-1 and a fenix key chain light.

When I look at Surefire products IMHO they appear to be more refined and less gadgety than the Fenix lights. What do you flashlight experts think about Surefire vs. Fenix? I'd like your opinions as I see Fenix come up more and more around here.

:popcorn:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Candlepowerforums is definatly the site to check out, honestly if there is a difference between a Surefire and a Fenix, I am never going to use the light hard enough to find it.

But thats my opinion.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Tyler,
    I have broken 2 Fenix lights in Military use. The only SureFire I have broken was a Helmet Light, and it still worked just the cover had fallen off of it. Fenix did repair the damaged products with no additional cost to me. I then gave them to my Uncles as presents...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I would agree with Jeremy. I've owned a Surefire U2 and still own a couple of G2, two E2Es and an A2. Very, very, very solidly built. Still own two Fenix P3Ds, an E1, an L2P, and a T10.

The Fenix beats the Surefires models hands down for lumens / buck. They ARE well made. The Surefires are just more solidly constructed in my opinion.

My favorite? My Nitecore D10.

You might want to check out Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

I'm an equal opportunity illuminator.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Tyler,
    I have broken 2 Fenix lights in Military use. The only SureFire I have broken was a Helmet Light, and it still worked just the cover had fallen off of it. Fenix did repair the damaged products with no additional cost to me. I then gave them to my Uncles as presents...

but figure about 90% of INGO is not active military in the sand box so IMO thats a moot point. most end users are carrying as an EDC for mundane tasks
    not doing the lords work. the features and price point are far greater than surefire. it's kinda like buying a KAC rifle for $3500 vs. building a fully decked out Ar with all the bells and whistles for half that. my bottom line oinion is your paying for a name.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    It's apples to oranges comparison.

If I wanted a light I was going to abuse on a daily basis it would be the Surefire.
    However that comes with some drawbacks in my opinion. The Surefire is less powerful, is overall larger and probably heavier.

I chose Fenix for size, power, price etc and I am quite pleased. After I bought a Fenix about 4 or 5 more people at work bought them and swear by them.

I think if Fenix came out with a line of rubberized lights like Surefire provides they would be a hit.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I chose the Fenix for more light, a nice belt clip, and because its construction is more than good enough for my intended use. If I were going to beat the hell out of it, I probably would have thought more about the Surefire. However, the quality of the Fenix has exceeded my expectations, in terms of construction.

Mine is a TK 15, and it's significantly brighter than any Surefire I've seen.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Why is Fenix putting out brighter lights these days? Is there a compromise that has to be made with lumens vs durability?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have 3 "cool" flashlights; Quark AAx2 Tactical, Surefire E1E, and (most recently) a Fenix TK12. None have given me any problem... the Quark and the Surefire have held up for many, many rounds of 5.56 and 7.62, as has my Streamlight PolyTac. I expect the Fenix will as well.

Get what works for you.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I own 1 Surefire, an E1B backup that I carry most every day. About 11 mos after I got it, the tailcap took a crap. Surefire replaced it, but took their time about it. I love the light, but for 140 bucks, that just isn't the durability I expect. My next light will most likely be a fenix.

Best,

Joe

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Man, where were all the Fenix fans when I bought into the dealer program a few years ago? I had them at the 1500 and could hardly give them away, hadn't caught on yet I guess.

I'm a surefire fan for sure, been using them for years with very few problems. That said Fenix makes an extremely bright light and the P1D I've had bouncing around in my pocket for a couple of years now has been great.

I just wish I could get the same light without 20 different (worthless) modes. I would really just like to have one the same size as my P1D that simply turns on then off when I want it too.

Fenix is putting out great lights for the money because the Chinese have spent a buttload on the led technology and tooling to produce them on a large scale.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I look at it similar to many. I could buy one Surefire or two almost equivalent Fenix lights. I tried the really cheap lights and had rear switch issues. Fenix can take the beatings I'll give them.

I like the options of the different modes, because very low is often enough. You just have to get used to setting it onto your "emergency use" mode before turning off, so it is there when you turn on.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    surefire is a great light but with out a doubt they are relying 100% on there name now. they have fallen way behind in the light game period. i still have multiple surefire lights but i carry my fenix and McGizmo's over them everyday. imo buy a fenix or quark or olight any of those brands will give you a much better light for your money all the way around. definitely check out candlepowerforums for sure lots of great info there

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Just a couple thoughts.

You can't trust the lumens numbers from Fenix because those aren't real out the front lumens. Surefire actually tests their lights with an integrating sphere and publishes numbers you will ACTUALLY get.

With that said, they have long been behind the curve on output. They just came out with new 6P and G2s that have been cheapened in some ways (you can't take them apart) but are 200 lumens OTF and much cheaper than the older models. So they are starting to catch up.

My suggestion? Buy the C/P/G models and replace the drop-in with something brighter. I carry a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M61 drop-in. I would trust my life on its reliability and it has been tested on an integrating sphere to output 260 lumens with a regulation time of about 2 hours on 2x CR123s. However I run it on a single 17670. I haven't checked runtime on that.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I recently purchased the fenix Tk45 triple cree r5 760 lumes to light up the neighborhood at night..Hope i like it for the price

If you want a super cheap but high quality insanely bright light, check out the SolarForce Masterpiece. It is a quad-die Cree MC-E that runs on 2x18650 with some incredible deep square knurling on the tube. I took it completely apart and everything about it screams quality.

It got me all excited about SolarForce because they make a 6P knockoff that is real cheap. I was sadly disappointed with the rest of their line in comparison to the Masterpiece.

Top Bottom