• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think many of the posts above are right in their assessments, but now we need to address a very pragmatic question: if indeed we're right, and an officer searching our vehicle to find our firearm - or requiring us to surrender it to him/her during the stop (after we've produced a valid LTCH) is "illegal" under Washington - what is our remedy? In other words, what do we do about it?

We definitely can't physically resist the search or seizure - that's a crime. And because the officer already knows there's a gun in the car, very bad things could happen very quickly.

So if an officer illegally "seizes" our handgun during a traffic stop, but then gives it back at the end of the stop, and that's illegal - what happens next?

The effect of the illegal search in Washington was that the drugs found during the search were inadmissible and the drug charges were dismissed. But we're just talking about our guns being seized in our hypothetical - we're never arrested. So we don't have any charges against us to have dismissed - but we've had our rights violated.

We can certainly file a civil lawsuit, and there are a lot of examples out there of individuals recovering significant judgments against municipalities and their police departments when the individual's rights are violated. But we have a big hurdle to get over: specifically, what is our damage? We have had our property illegally seized, but only for a few minutes (hypothetically), then it was returned. That's not like being handcuffed on the curb as we discussed earlier. Or being taken to jail. Or being physically restrained or injured as we're being arrested or detained. Those situations may very likely warrant a lawsuit. We just sat in our cars for a while without our gun, then it was returned and we were sent on our way.

In some civil rights cases, damages are presumed. And I suppose if we could prove that the act was "intentionally" illegal or performed "maliciously," then punitive damages might be available, but I think that's a hard sell - because the courts have repeatedly ruled that officer safety is a paramount concern, and the officer would undoubtedly testify that he/she only took the gun for a few minutes to protect himself/herself. And I think most juries would certainly believe that doing so was not intentionally "malicious" - despite being technically illegal under Washington. So I think punitive damages in those circumstances would be a reach. So if we get our gun back and we're sent on our way - what are we suing for; i.e., how have we been damaged?

I think that's a very tough question.

Personally, if this happened to me, I think the only thing I would do is to write a very professional letter to the officer and his/her superiors, explaining why his/her actions were illegal - not trying to get anyone reprimanded or suspended, but in hopes of respectfully educating that police department about the current state of Indiana law on this issue.

I know that's not a very satisfying answer and may generate more questions than it anwers, but my $.02 on the issues that have been raised since my last post.

Guy

Last edited:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    GunLawyer:

I have to say that is the most thought out response I have seen so far on this particular issue. We have all been going on back and forth about not wanting to have our property seized, and not wanting to notify, this that and the other. Well, you are right on, what are our damages, now lets say during this seizure, the firearm is mishandled, and is dropped or damaged, then I feel the INDIVIDUAL officer in this case should be held liable because they made the decision and made an ILLEGAL seizure of a firearm. So your custom 1911 etched in gold get dropped during an illegal seizure, the officer is accountable to the amount to repair or replace the firearm. I bet that would cut down on the amount of illegal seizures.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks again!

INGunGuy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

Thanks! And I think you just identified the most important issue - "damage." Again, I think "officer safety" is always going to be given huge consideration by Indiana courts - as it should be. As I've said before, I have unlimited respect for any man or woman who is willing to walk up to a car window during a traffic stop without knowing if he/she will be greeted with a smile or the muzzle of a sawed-off shotgun.

But that doesn't mean that we should sit by and accept truly aggregious violations of our rights. Not at all. If I get handcuffed and "curbed" after I voluntarily produce my valid LTCH (and I've done nothing else illegal), someone is going to get well-and-truly-sued. And I'll win that lawsuit every time (IMHO).

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i got stopped for like my license plate light being out, or it might have been a headlight, either way i didnt know the light was out and when i got stopped the officer did ask me if i had a weapon, i said i did, and he took it back to his car with him. When he came back he put it in my back seat and i think took the round out of the chamber...i thought it was strange but didnt feel so violated as to make a thing out of it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    i got stopped for like my license plate light being out, or it might have been a headlight, either way i didnt know the light was out and when i got stopped the officer did ask me if i had a weapon, i said i did, and he took it back to his car with him. When he came back he put it in my back seat and i think took the round out of the chamber...i thought it was strange but didnt feel so violated as to make a thing out of it.

Why? What if the officer would have taken your cell phone and told you he was going to check and see if you had drug dealers in your contacts or video of a murder? Would you feel violated then? What's the difference? Oh yeah, it's a gun! :runaway:
    The point I'm making is that we as gun owners are just as guilty of placing stigma on "evil guns" as the people that want to take our rights from us. Your gun is a tool, nothing else. Your gun is your property. Period. If you don't want others handling, taking, checking any other property that belongs to you then your gun should be no different.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Why? What if the officer would have taken your cell phone and told you he was going to check and see if you had drug dealers in your contacts or video of a murder? Would you feel violated then? What's the difference? Oh yeah, it's a gun! :runaway:
    The point I'm making is that we as gun owners are just as guilty of placing stigma on "evil guns" as the people that want to take our rights from us. Your gun is a tool, nothing else. Your gun is your property. Period. If you don't want others handling, taking, checking any other property that belongs to you then your gun should be no different.

:yesway: +1!!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

I agree completely!! The question remains, however: what would you do about it?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I will let the officer know that if he feels it necessary to violate my rights, I will not resist, but I won't give it to him/her. They will have to take it. This battle will have to be decided in court, not in the street. If this scenario does ever happen, I will be needing a lawyer, how much do you charge? ;)

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I will let the officer know that if he feels it necessary to violate my rights, I will not resist, but I won't give it to him/her. They will have to take it. This battle will have to be decided in court, not in the street. If this scenario does ever happen, I will be needing a lawyer, how much do you charge? ;)

I'd love to have that case - including our civil suit for the violation of your rights!!

(I'm ordinarily very expensive, but I offer an INGO discount.)

:ingo:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I agree completely!! The question remains, however: what would you do about it?

Use live ammunition? *

*the above statement is satire of the poorest taste mocking a recently fired IN Asst AG. It should in no way be considered serious on any level. The author does not condone the use of violence against law enforcement officers. Butthurt should be acquired at the reader' risk. Thank you.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Use live ammunition? *

*the above statement is satire of the poorest taste mocking a recently fired IN Asst AG. It should in no way be considered serious on any level. The author does not condone the use of violence against law enforcement officers. Butthurt should be acquired at the reader' risk. Thank you.

No, no, no. That's only for protesters.

You don't carry your tactical box of Krispy Kremes to distract and confuse LEOs?

</purple>

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been asked 1 time during a traffic stop if I had a weapon in the vehicle. I answered yes,I have a loaded revolver. The officer wanted me to hand it to him and I told him I would but wanted to un-load it first. I un-loaded, handed it to him, he told me to slow my speed, handed back the gun, and let me go.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have been asked 1 time during a traffic stop if I had a weapon in the vehicle. I answered yes,I have a loaded revolver. The officer wanted me to hand it to him and I told him I would but wanted to un-load it first. I un-loaded, handed it to him, he told me to slow my speed, handed back the gun, and let me go.

It never ceases to amaze me how many stories appear here of LEOs asking a motorist to handle a loaded firearm by handing it to him/her during the stop. I know we have some great LEOs on this site who would never do that - but this story just keeps popping back up. Unbelievable.

And I think that by asking to unload it first, you made a very smart move. I'm just glad that he was smart enough to agree with you.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have been following this thread for a while. Here are a few things based on my experience's with the matter.

1) 99% of LTCH holders are decent people. They are typically some of our most honest and trustworthy citizens.

2) A small percentage have a chip on their shoulders towards LEO's. They act hostile,arrogant and defiant. Remember the driver sets the tone of the TS. I try to always be friendly,polite and respectful. But I will not be someones whipping boy for the ones that want to play games. I can go from 0 to a major PITA in a millisecond.

3) I appreciate it when someone informs me they are armed. I do not ask for your weapon,point mine at you or even draw mine unless something more seems to be going on.

4) If there is something more going on during the TS like OWI,warrants ect. then you will be separated from your weapon. Don't laugh it has happened more than once. I have recovered three stolen handguns from intoxicated LTCH's on TS's over the years. I have also recovered methamphetamine,marijuana and a host of other contraband from LTCH holders.

5) By running name data querry's via MDT and criminal histories I have also run run across LTCH's holders that have fairly recent felony convictions,arrests,firearms DQed PO violations and domestic battery convictions ect. that the ISP license board has not caught up with yet.

Again like I said it seems that 99% of LTCH holders are in the upper percentage of our best citizens IMO. However there are exceptions out there. One would be hard pressed to find any LEO that has any time on the road that has not run across some of the other 1%. And there lies some of the problem with some guys disarming LTCH holders and some of the other problems discussed on this thread. Then there are some LEO's that are just big time gun shy for some reason. We used to have a guy on our agency that lateraled from that big liberal state on the west coast. Talk about gun shy and anti gun!:rolleyes: He is no longer with us:yesway::yesway:

I am all for people getting a LTC license,permit or whatever you want to call it. If you get stopped I suggest being upfront and honest. Don't try to sound like some civil rights lawyer. Don't be a jerk and go with the flow. You are not going to win on the side of the road. If things go down that you don't approve of, then take it up later with the officers agency.After my being told by drivers that they were armed and had a LTC, I have told many "Good I just wish more people were also". Armed citizens just makes good sense to me and I am 100% for it.:twocents:

Shezzz hope that wasn't to long and rambling. It has been a VERY long hectic week and it is my Saturday on Monday! (Days off)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    j706=GREAT Post..

Great post from you, j706. YOU are the type of Officer that I would like to "Invite" me to a TS!:dunno: If that's possible?? HA HA.
    IMO, most Officers are as courteous as you, and just doing their job.
    My last "Invite" was about this time last year by an ISP Trooper running radar (In a 30 MPH zone) in Greenfield. PC was my passenger did not have his seat belt on. The Trooper ran my paperwork and gave me a written warning for not having my registration signed-I had just re-newed+had not signed it yet. He did not ask if I was armed, and I did not offer the info. We each went on our own ways, after each said "have a nice day"..:wavey:..Bill. PS:He also reminded my passenger to wear his seat belt! HA..

Dpj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    To my knowledge they cannot take your weapon unless they have a reasonable reason to, like your a felon or wanted or something. If they press then you prob should but file a complaint, as they most likely overstepped their legal boundaries.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I know this thread is semi-old (around 20 days) but I have read it from start to finish and have a few scenarios I would like interpreted. I carry openly in a Blackhawk Serpa on my right hip.

Ok, I've been lit up and see the red and blue behind me. There is one way I can think that would keep my firearm out of the possession of the officer that I would like some feedback on. Realistically for safety's sake I'd prefer to keep it in my holster, but I'd prefer even more for a third party (law enforcement or not) to not be handling my weapon.

* Removing the gun from the holster, and slipping it in the center console, under the seat, in the glovebox, or some other out-of-plain-sight location. I do realize the officer will be watching for movements so I would be concerned that this, in and of itself, would escalate the stop before I even spoke to them and, as such, effectively make this less than useful. I'm not sure if these movements would give PC/RS to search, but I would hope not.

An alternative to simply putting it somewhere out of plain sight is putting it into a locked gun case (say a GunVault Nano).

Ideally I'd prefer to just have my drivers license, registration, proof of insurance, and LTCH ready when they get to the window. Some do not like the idea of providing the LTCH up front - but if I am carrying it openly on my hip and feel it's going to be easily visible - I will hand the LTCH over first thing as I will be asked about it unless the officer has no situational awareness.

A third, and even simpler option, is to have something to throw over my side/hip/console to effectively make the weapon concealed (in which case, I would not hand over LTCH immediately).

I'm no lawyer, and I'm not law enforcement, so I'm certainly happy to hear your thoughts.

I do not unholster and hand my weapon over to others without first unloading it - and it's doubtful during the interactions with a police officer that I will be permitted to do so. If they're separating my weapon from me for Officer Safety, then allowing me to handle and unload the gun isn't going to happen, imho.

Top Bottom