Survey: Who sorts their brass by brand prior to reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    As a new reloader I was reading that its best to keep all components the same while working up a load. I am guessing that its okay to use mixed brass with mild to medium loads for practice/ plinking. But I anticipate wanting some consistent and accurate loads so I plan on keeping them sorted by brand.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    In a bolt action I separate and keep them in 100 round cases. This way I can keep track of load history by batch.

Tom Terrific

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Marshall County
    I do. I learned in archery that when you shoot the same load (arrow wgt), the same way (knock point, anchor point, etc) every time then the results will be more accurate. I apply that to my reloading. I try to load like headstamps in box lots (50) so each trip to the range I will be shooting the same load, from the same case as much as possible. It may not mean anything but it is also another opportunity to inspect your brass for problems.

BAZOOKa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Plymouth
    I am curious what people have to say on this as well. I have to figure it is more important to keep track of the number of times a case has been fired than brand, but that's just my assumption. I am at the point where I have little batches of brass of different branding and at different number of firings. I am wanting to just roll them into batches by number of firings to get a smaller number of larger quantities to prep at once.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I used to, then I got over it. I learned I was a high volume shooter and loved hitting steel plates and shooting paper. Then I just got over sorting brass, unless I bought it brand spanking new

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The only thing I will add to Shibumseeker's post, is that after sorting for headstamp, I then sort by weight. Once that's done, the REAL work of case prep begins. :)

Truly accurate rifles and ammunition are rarely the result of luck or happenstance.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It depends on the cartridge. You will never see any difference in a handgun caliber. simply load and go. In a precision rifle case sorting will make a TINY difference. But you cannot stop at "brands". You will need to fully prep brand new brass. (size, trim, uniform primer pockets and flash holes) Check them each for concentricity, pitch the crooked ones. Then weigh (or CC ) each one and put them together in lots separated according to interior volume.

In a box of 500 new pieces of quality brass, you will find about as much difference as you will find between brands.

If you are not looking to ring a tenth of an inch out of a 100 yard bench rest target, or a 1/2 inch out of a 500 yard target, that is a lot of work that most people will never see on a target.

I do tend to keep my rifle batches together simply to keep count of how ever many times they have been reloaded, even if they are mixed brands or years.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Everything. Back when every die set (RCBS) came with a roll crimp seating die little differences in case length became problematic. Taper crimp dies have spoiled me. Still do it. Makes it a little easier to separate my brass from range pick-ups.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    depends.

For rifle: if working up a new load that'll be used for matches at longer range, yes. General plinking and practice ammo, no.

For pistol, never.

-rvb

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I sort. Then if I feel something different when priming or sizing I know something is up.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dont do a thing to my pistol loads. For my AR I am a little more picky mainly due to the pressures involved. I sell off any odd brand brass and only load one brand so I dont have to sort that much.

Top Bottom