• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It has always been my dream that everyone have to save and pay the income and payroll taxes themselves rather than have withholding. Maybe, just maybe, this is a tiny version of that.

Who am I kidding- Trump is using this as a campaign tactic and will claim that is Biden...or whoever, wins the election will not forgive the debt...forcing whoever is actually president to find a way to forgive the debt.

Politicians aren't big on consequences.

Don't worry, pensioners, the people who qualify for this only pay 20% of the taxes.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It has always been my dream that everyone have to save and pay the income and payroll taxes themselves rather than have withholding. Maybe, just maybe, this is a tiny version of that.

Who am I kidding- Trump is using this as a campaign tactic and will claim that is Biden...or whoever, wins the election will not forgive the debt...forcing whoever is actually president to find a way to forgive the debt.

Politicians aren't big on consequences.

I too have the same dream. But alas the politicians have found an opiate to smooth the taking of hard earned money before the money must be wrenched from its actual owner.

I say it is highly likely no matter who is elected it will be forgiven...

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Thanks for the link. Someone a couple pages back had said August 1st and also mentioned it is mandatory to have it removed.

Definitely see its Sept. 1st not August but do not see anything stating its mandatory.

Im.just curious because I know my employer will just keep on collecting taxes as usual (just a mom n pop.shop with 2 employees) unless I say something.

Not sure if I should just let them keep taking the payroll tax or have them remove it and me save the money.

Does anyone know if you pay it thru the end of year like we're currently doing and then come January they forgive it, would the money just come back to me when I file taxes?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If everyone had to pay their share at tax time, instead of it being withheld, there be a lot more scrutiny into govt spending.

If people had to do quarterly payments like some do the masses your riot at the amount taken!

And dont get me started on the Earned Income Credit

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bingo!!! I second this
    There is currently no mechanism in place in tax code for this.
    Take it and just sit it in a saving account all by itself. Come 2021 u will know if it's yours or not.

Ok So I need to tell my employer starting with first paycheck in September to add 6.2% to my paycheck?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If people had to do quarterly payments like some do...

Don-crying-mad-men.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Y da funny?

This is me 4 times a year. No withholding and paying quarterly estimated payment for some time now.

...but I hear that over-taxation and overspending aren't important because we're going to "lose the country" if we don't approve of it or something. I didn't quite understand that position.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Great...thanks for the reminder. Quarterly taxes are due in a few weeks so I will add that to my list.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This is me 4 times a year. No withholding and paying quarterly estimated payment for some time now.

...but I hear that over-taxation and overspending aren't important because we're going to "lose the country" if we don't approve of it or something. I didn't quite understand that position.

I guess I don't know how the lawyer world works, I thought you worked for a firm but you still have to pay your own taxes?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I guess I don't know how the lawyer world works, I thought you worked for a firm but you still have to pay your own taxes?

Anyone can pay their own taxes like he does with quarterly estimated taxes. The vast majority of people that work for a company the company does that for you by taking x% of your pay. That is determined by the w4 you fill out which you can change at any time.

If you wanted you could file a w4 to adjust your withholding and make them drop to zero. Thus no federal taxes are taken out. But you still owe that tax so you need to pay those taxes quarterly via estimates tax payments.

Most people dont bother to do this as such have no understanding of how much tax they are paying. It muddies the water even more at end of year since most get a big refund and are happy with that money again not understanding you gave uncle Sam an interest free loan.

In short (and this is a general "you" not you drillsgt).
    You are too stupid to save your own money and thus uncle Sam holds it for you and returns it come april and you think your uncle gave you money when in reality its YOUR money all along.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You are too stupid to save your own money and thus Uncle Sam holds it for you and returns it come april and you think your uncle gave you money when in reality its YOUR money all along.

That’s a pretty broad brush you’ve got there. Plenty of people aren’t too stupid to understand How it works, they simply choose to have enough taken out so they won’t be writing a check at tax time. It’s a choice, not a measurement of intelligence or lack thereof. You don’t have to agree with it and you don’t have to do things the same way but claiming your method establishes some intellectual superiority is entertaining at best.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We always shoot for getting enough money back to pay for dinner. A little buffer since the income is not fixed.
    I usually pay a bit every year. But my son had to go and get a real job while going to college, and made too much for me to claim him as a dependent. I had to write a big check. ****ing ******* kid.

Top Bottom