Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We are here to help!

1. I can't quit smiling. :lmfao:
    2. I believe I have heard the word, "enabler" used many times on this site. :laugh:
    3. It has been fun searching for the 3rd gen S/W, and I hope the 5906 lives up to what it is supposed to be.
    3. It is competing with 3 other of my 9mms: Ruger Officer 1911 9mm (only 8 round), Ruger P95 and the Bersa Thunder Pro XT.
    4. Then, my big decision will be to keep it and sell the Ruger P89: not something that has to be done immediately, but with retirement this summer I really do need to trim a couple of 9mms, and an unknown number of .22LRs.
    5. My fun in retirement will be deciding what to trim, and what to focus on perhaps upgrading, of which Aeroflyer will be there for me to influence my decision-making since he is strong in the force of .22LR upgrades.
    6. I already stepped up (part-way) for the Wizard to do some upgrades to my Shadow 2 (S/A only, 10x bushing and spring/trigger work).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I can't quit smiling. :lmfao:
    2. I believe I have heard the word, "enabler" used many times on this site. :laugh:
    3. It has been fun searching for the 3rd gen S/W, and I hope the 5906 lives up to what it is supposed to be.
    3. It is competing with 3 other of my 9mms: Ruger Officer 1911 9mm (only 8 round), Ruger P95 and the Bersa Thunder Pro XT.
    4. Then, my big decision will be to keep it and sell the Ruger P89: not something that has to be done immediately, but with retirement this summer I really do need to trim a couple of 9mms, and an unknown number of .22LRs.
    5. My fun in retirement will be deciding what to trim, and what to focus on perhaps upgrading, of which Aeroflyer will be there for me to influence my decision-making since he is strong in the force of .22LR upgrades.
    6. I already stepped up (part-way) for the Wizard to do some upgrades to my Shadow 2 (S/A only, 10x bushing and spring/trigger work).

Well, if you want some first class enabling, since you seem set on keeping a variety of different actions (SA, DA/SA, etc) then some of those guns are not in the same class, and you should really keep at least one from each class... (that is not my personal practice or preference, as I am more in the find a platform that works for you and stack them deep, but just jumping on the enabling bandwagon :ingo:)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OK. What gives.
    I hear Gen 3 is best a lot now. What were the main differences between them? If say Gen 3 had lighter alloy frame? I'd say give me the heavier solid steel frame. But what are these "Gens" I keep hearing? :dunno:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations Doddg on your new Smith. It may just be the last gun you ever buy.

You had two #3's. It's like you assigned extra reading.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    OK. What gives.
    I hear Gen 3 is best a lot now. What were the main differences between them? If say Gen 3 had lighter alloy frame? I'd say give me the heavier solid steel frame. But what are these "Gens" I keep hearing? :dunno:

First Gens were manufactured from 1954 until 1982. Two basic models 39 (single stack) and 59 (double stack). Alloy frames. Very limited run of steel frames.

Second Gens from 1978 to 1988 as the 439 (single stack), 459 (double stack) both with alloy frames and 645 (single stack/steel frame 45 acp). Theses models came in about 7 different variations and some special runs.

Third gen production went from ~1988 to ~2010. in 4 main variations of 9mm (39xx, 59xx and 69xx) along with 45 acp (45xx), 40 SW (40xx) and 10 mm (10xx) along with maybe 75 to 100 variations. Steel frame, alloy frame, two tone, etc.

The Gen 3 takes advantage of the all manufacturing advances from the 1950's to 1980/90's (craftsmanship is another conversation) so the parts were generally better, ergonomics improved throughout the years, as did reliability and ammo compatibility.

Personally, I think the 1st gens had some great craftsmanship and, while the triggers aren't the best, they tend to be accurate with good ammo. Second gens are so-so IMHO though I've seen a few SAO 745's that'll keep pace with anything. The thirds gens offer something for everyone. Want an metal Shield size 3rd gen? Try a 3913 or a cs9. Need to go hog hunting? Try a 1006. 45 your game? Try a 4506. Need a soft shooting 40? How about a 4006? Want DAO. Got em. SA/DA. Got em.

and the list goes on and on and on.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    First Gens were manufactured from 1954 until 1982. Two basic models 39 (single stack) and 59 (double stack). Alloy frames. Very limited run of steel frames.

Second Gens from 1978 to 1988 as teh 439 (single stack), 459 (double stack) both with allot frames and 645 (single stack/steel frame 45 acp). Theses models came in about 7 different variations and some special runs.

Third gen production went from ~1988 to ~2010. in 3 main variations of 9mm (39xx, 59xx and 69xx) along with 45 acp (45xx), 40 SW (40xx) and 10 mm (10xx) along with maybe 75 to 100 variations. Steel frame, alloy frame, two tone, etc.

The Gen 3 takes advantage of the all manufacturing advances from the 1950's to 1980/90's (craftsmanship is another conversation) so the parts were generally better, ergonomics improved throughout the years, as did reliability and ammo compatibility.

Personally, I think the 1st gens had some great craftsmanship and, while the triggers aren't the best, they tend to be accurate with good ammo. Second gens are so-so IMHO though I've seen a few SAO 745's that'll keep pace with anything. The thirds gens offer something for everyone. Want an metal Shield size 3rd gen? Try a 3913 or a cs9. Need to go hog hunting? Try a 1006. 45 your game? Try a 4506. Need a soft shooting 40? How about a 4006? Want DAO. Got em. SA/DA. Got em.

and the list goes on and on and on.

Dang!
    OK. Thank You. So if I wanted a steel frame 9mm double stack, with the best of what they offered, Gen 3 is it then.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Dang!
    OK. Thank You. So if I wanted a steel frame 9mm double stack, with the best of what they offered, Gen 3 is it then.

Best? That's an expensive word. The first "best" that comes to mind is a Performance Center 5906 PPC. Don't show up without your check book though!

Others may chime in but, as I mentioned to the OP, a SW 5906 is really good starting point to try out the Smith Wesson third gens. 4506 is a great full size 45. 4006 is a great 40SW. Big full size guns. These are not P365's or M&Ps, they are tanks!

A great single stack 9mm is the 3913. Great carry gun.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The best read is the StandardCatalog of S&W 4th edition. Lists every model of S&W, some info and relative pricing on every model.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I met with the nice young man at the range.
    The gun looked good, I wasn't disappointed: not perfect, but nothing I would notice unless I was looking for it.
    I ran more than a box of shells through it, along with my Ruger P95 that I was running along side it to compare accuracy and feel.
    Absolutely no issues: ran flawlessly.
    I could not see the white dot sights when shooting: the front sights might as well have been 10' away, probably accounting for my Ruger P95 shooting better with its painted sights.

My Ruger P95 shot a little better, and after I ran more than a couple of boxes through both, I got out the Bersa Thunder Pro XT to prove to myself that I didn't need either one of them.
    I didn't buy it. I'm not interested in collecting wonderful guns, and I knew if I bought the 5906, I would end up selling it b/c it doesn't do anything that the Shadow 2 or Bersa Pro XT won't do, and I grow weary from chasing after a new thrill.
    If I had the chance to take more guns to the range before I bought them, I would have bought many less, and saved myself some grief.
    The young man assured my by text and again twice while at the range that it wasn't a problem if I choose not to buy.
    I wanted to give him a $20 bill for his trouble, but of course, he wouldn't take it, so I put it in the gun case. :)

Sorry to be a disappointment, thanks for all the processing! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom