• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Anyone watching this? There's people out there just like this. Meet a few when i was stationed in Louisiana and Georgia.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Caught an episode last night for the first time. I met plenty of people like those guys when I was stationed down at Ft Polk. Good folk.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I caught it last night, too. Those people are a whole 'nother breed. Seem to be good people, hard workers.

I lol at them using a .22 to kill a 10 foot gator though. I mean, obviously they don't want to spend a lot on a gun for it, and they don't want to ruin a lot of hide, but DAMN get a .45 out there or something. That one boy had to shoot over a dozen rounds to kill that big gator while it was thrashing around.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Caught an episode last night for the first time. I met plenty of people like those guys when I was stationed down at Ft Polk. Good folk.

Did you ever come across any gators while in the field? Seemed like everything down there could kill you in seconds if you weren't careful.
    The gators, wild boars, poisinous snakes, c-130 size mosquitoes.

Great survival training but what a :poop: hole.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I lol at them using a .22 to kill a 10 foot gator though. I mean, obviously they don't want to spend a lot on a gun for it, and they don't want to ruin a lot of hide, but DAMN get a .45 out there or something. That one boy had to shoot over a dozen rounds to kill that big gator while it was thrashing around.

^^^^THIS^^^^
    I watched that part last night...the whole time I'm thinking to myself how I'd tether my S&W 460 revolver to the boat with some paracord in case it went over. Maybe pack 3 or 4 glocks for backup.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Did you ever come across any gators while in the field? Seemed like everything down there could kill you in seconds if you weren't careful.
    The gators, wild boars, poisinous snakes, c-130 size mosquitoes.

Great survival training but what a :poop: hole.

Never saw a gator on post but I tried to avoid the watery areas whenever possible. We had lots of hogs come in on us at night and I spent more than one night on top of the hummer as a result. Closest I came to being killed by an animal down there was by a white tail. We were patrolling through the woods and I literally almost stepped on it. I don't know if it was in a deep sleep or hoping we would walk on by but when that thing jumped up a foot in front of me I screamed like a girl and almost had a brown out.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I like it.

I like the guy who goes out and drags 'em in with one hand and shoots 'em by himself with the other. Looks like he does it all and get's as many as any one else.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Never saw a gator on post but I tried to avoid the watery areas whenever possible. We had lots of hogs come in on us at night and I spent more than one night on top of the hummer as a result. Closest I came to being killed by an animal down there was by a white tail. We were patrolling through the woods and I literally almost stepped on it. I don't know if it was in a deep sleep or hoping we would walk on by but when that thing jumped up a foot in front of me I screamed like a girl and almost had a brown out.

:laugh:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I caught it last night, too. Those people are a whole 'nother breed. Seem to be good people, hard workers.

I bet those guys have a pretty good idea what it takes to kill one.

I use what the guys who do it a lot use.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I just saw the show for the first time while on vacation. These two...

Picture-32-490x310.png

... could show up at a family reunion for the Georgia branch of my family, and nobody would know the difference.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    they use .22's for one, it obviously works and two they get paid for meat and skin so they want to do the least amount of damage possible.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They mainly seem to use marlin 22's also. I did see one use the Browning sa-22 copy from norinco. The chick is using a marlin 22 mag. several others the model 60. I can't get a good look at the ones that arm wrestle but it was most likely the most expensive as it was an all weather version. Most of them are that truck gun rust brown.

The brothers that just live out there were using a muzzleloaded 50 cal for rabbits and tree rats.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

It doesn't matter what the caliber is. There is a spot about the size of a quarter that you have to hit. It doesn't matter if you hit it with a .22 or a .45 it's going to put the gator down when you hit that spot. Why cause more hide damage when you miss if the .45 isn't going to give you any advantage putting the animal down?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    It doesn't matter what the caliber is. There is a spot about the size of a quarter that you have to hit. It doesn't matter if you hit it with a .22 or a .45 it's going to put the gator down when you hit that spot. Why cause more hide damage when you miss if the .45 isn't going to give you any advantage putting the animal down?

not to mention the splash back from a .45 is far more than a .22 when you miss and hit the skull, especially at point blank range.

Top Bottom