• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Thank you for restoring back to life such a fine rifle. I've been searching high and low for one lately with no luck. I see cracked stocks online quite a bit. How difficult is it to find a new stock for one of these puppies?

a "New" stock will be tough to come by. the swiss original stocks are all going to be used since the rifle hasn't been made since 1958. You can get a Boyd's reproduction stock but they require a lot of fitting to get them right (like most Boyd's stocks) and its hit and miss as to weather or not they have one in stock. You could try posting adds to see if anyone had one and you could get lucky like I did. You can also buy a used Swiss military stock from Numrich, they will have scratches and dings and dents from years or service, they wont need much fitting to make them work and you can refinish the wood however you would like.....and really that's half the fun, right?

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    a "New" stock will be tough to come by. the swiss original stocks are all going to be used since the rifle hasn't been made since 1958. You can get a Boyd's reproduction stock but they require a lot of fitting to get them right (like most Boyd's stocks) and its hit and miss as to weather or not they have one in stock. You could try posting adds to see if anyone had one and you could get lucky like I did. You can also buy a used Swiss military stock from Numrich, they will have scratches and dings and dents from years or service, they wont need much fitting to make them work and you can refinish the wood however you would like.....and really that's half the fun, right?

That is exactly right! The entire reason that I got into the Milplus hobby was to refinish a stock. My first, and unfortunately only yet, milplus rifle is a Mosin 91/30. Stripped and refinished the stock with Boiled Linseed Oil. I love how it turned out and can't wait to keep the hobby moving forward. Definitely will be looking for a used stock to take advantage of Samco's sale. K31's seemed to have been gobbled up and it has been a unicorn hunt the last few months.

/end highjack

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    if you are buying from samco and they have tho option still available spend the extra $20 for the special hand selected ones. they will pick you one that has the stock in pretty good condition

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Thank you for restoring back to life such a fine rifle. I've been searching high and low for one lately with no luck. I see cracked stocks online quite a bit. How difficult is it to find a new stock for one of these puppies?

Original? Rare! I do think there may be a company that makes aftermarket stocks...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    God Bless you for saving that old workhorse. That G11 ammo is the best stuff going for a K31. The Swiss surplus is match grade equal.You probably got the rifle for free considering the cost of G11.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    BTW I just paid $100 for 2 bricks of G11
    I'm brand new to this... what is a "brick" exactly when it comes to this ammo? I've got a case (?) of 480 rounds, but it was more than 100 bucks! The case looks more like something that came from a nice department store than an ammo case.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    what did you do with the scope mount?

PM me if you would like to get rid of it......

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm brand new to this... what is a "brick" exactly when it comes to this ammo? I've got a case (?) of 480 rounds, but it was more than 100 bucks! The case looks more like something that came from a nice department store than an ammo case.

inside that nice shoebox looking case there are 8 wax paper sealed packages (bricks) each containing 6 boxes of 10 rounds. I got 3 of the 480 round packages for free with my rifle, which I traded a duffel bag full of random crap I had laying in the bottom of my closet to obtain, so I made out like a bandit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    inside that nice shoebox looking case there are 8 wax paper sealed packages (bricks) each containing 6 boxes of 10 rounds. I got 3 of the 480 round packages for free with my rifle, which I traded a duffel bag full of random crap I had laying in the bottom of my closet to obtain, so I made out like a bandit.
    Wow, you did make out like a bandit! And thanks for the explanation. I haven't even opened mine yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom