• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, that's the outer bound of technology. That decision was made difficult because standing on public property and looking in a window is not a 4A violation. But, that tech is SO advanced that it made an absurdity of actual real walls.

The same cannot be said of clothing. At least not yet.

Also, probably worth clarifying that I'm not predicting that this will be free of legal issues. Heck, a court somewhere might say this is more like the imaging tech in Kyllo. I'm just saying that this is not a legally cut and dry situation.

Post-Heller, this is on a long list of things that will have to be resolved.

When we go out in public, we are giving up a great number of privacy rights. The "expectation of privacy" is almost zero.

I recall in the 90s there was a video camera that had an IR lens or something that was so sensitive it could "see" through artificial fabric/materials like spandex. I can't remember what happened with that, but I don't think it was an LEO issue.

Yes. But there is some degree.
    If I go in public, with my social security card in my wallet, I expect that it being in my wallet would make it private.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Looks like the technology exists but not in a smart phone. The device looks small and transportable.

Los Angeles is first in US to install subway body scanners http://www.nwitimes.com/lifestyles/article_2f95dcd8-2fec-59b6-8a23-b59825b78cd2.html

The machines scan for metallic and non-metallic objects on a person's body, can detect suspicious items from 30 feet (9 meters) away and have the capability of scanning more than 2,000 passengers per hour.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Looks like the technology exists but not in a smart phone. The device looks small and transportable.

Los Angeles is first in US to install subway body scanners http://www.nwitimes.com/lifestyles/article_2f95dcd8-2fec-59b6-8a23-b59825b78cd2.html

The machines scan for metallic and non-metallic objects on a person's body, can detect suspicious items from 30 feet (9 meters) away and have the capability of scanning more than 2,000 passengers per hour.

This idea is not bad if used properly by allowing legal gun carriers go through without issues and instead use this tech to search for explosives. As many people there are on subways, it's basically a soft target with potential mass casualties. But being LA, just forget about your exercising your rights.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Unless your pecker is detachable (which, may or may not be a cool evolutionary trick), I don't think it is a helpful analogy.

Let's use cocaine.

Well. Let's use cocaine as an analogy.

Just because you cover it up doesn't mean LEOs can't use non-invasive ways of finding it. If you are carrying cocaine in a body cavity (your choice which) and walk past a drug dog that alerts on you. There's no 4A issue. (Aside from the de rigeur issues with officer chompy's hit rate.)

Except there's no legal right to possess coke but there IS a legal right to CC and this could be used to unduly detain and harass citizens legally indulging in that right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ive been wearing Mylar for years.
    Cause Boner Drones. Duh.

I forgot about the boner drone!

Mylar is good stuff for this, though. The only downside is that it will be a lot less comfy in hot weather. And you'll make a crinkling noise whenever you move.

Curious if denying the image that way would lead to additional scrutiny.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Except there's no legal right to possess coke but there IS a legal right to CC and this could be used to unduly detain and harass citizens legally indulging in that right.

I think I already said this, but there isn't a complete right across the country to CC. Yet. It may be in the works, but it isn't here yet.

Even so, it isn't unconstitutional (yet) for cops to know someone is CCing. The issue is whether they take action on it that they are not otherwise allowed to do. Any cop can walk up to anyone in a public place and talk to them. Can't really start asking incriminating questions, but they can chat.

If a cop decides to chat with someone they know is CCing, doesn't really change anything.

This thread might really be about knowing what our actual rights (and cops' legitimate authority) are instead of what we think they are.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't hold your breath.

holding-your-breath-clipart-1.jpg

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Don't hold your breath.
    My thoughts exactly. I can't remember exactly what the product was, but a couple years ago there was a product for hikers coming out that sounded too good to be true. The company promising this great thing was taking pre-orders. Fast forward a year and they're getting in trouble for scamming people out of their money.

I'm not saying the SWORD is a scam, I'm just saying it raises a lot of red flags. I wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it to market.

Top Bottom