Tactfully telling someone their gun handling is awful?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You tell them:

"Muzzle" or "I am NOT a safe direction!" (Guess what their response is in 100% of the cases, come on guess. Ok, I'll tell you, "eet ain't low-dead" with gun shop teeth)

The proper reply is: Do know what people say when they accidentally shoot someone?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You know those tracts that Christians pass out, leave in restaurants, etc? We need gun safety tracts (or pamphlets) that we can pass out: the 4 rules, maybe some Cooper quotes, etc...

I think we need to get with the Chick Publishing people and make this happen.

If we can defame the Catholic Church in the process, we might be able to get them to do it for us.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think we need to get with the Chick Publishing people and make this happen.

If we can defame the Catholic Church in the process, we might be able to get them to do it for us.
    I think the Pope has said 4 rules isn't nearly enough. We need to convene a council and take a couple hundred years to develop the policy, then another couple hundred to implement.

MAYBE get the whole thing done in a century, if we fast-track it.

STARCOM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Just politely say you had recently read an article (go read one to be honest) about gun safety and you analyzed your own gun handling practices. Then lead into his….

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The focus clearly needs to be on 4 rules vs. 3 and a mindset vs. reality. eventually, you may get around to discussing safe gun handling, but first things first.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We used to have a neighbor like that. His garage faced ours across the alley. He was always showing off his stupid guns. I "tactfully" said, "Hey! Quit pointing that sh*t at me!" And of course, he replies that he never carries with one in the chamber. I answered that with, "I don't give a sh*t, don't point it at me!" Thankfully, we finally made him mad enough to stop speaking to us. :)

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    My 2 cents is to have each opportunity as a teaching moment. Move the barrel to a safe direction and explain to them why. You don't have to be mean about it. If they insist on not doing it then I would leave and tell them why.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    This is a good guy and a long-time friend and I really do not want to hurt his feelings or embarrass him. But I think I have to say something next time I'm over if firearms are at all present. It really does freak me out. And the mentality will transfer over to the range and other folks too so it's really to his advantage to think that way.

Thank you all for the thoughts.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    A guy that waves guns around and points them at you is no one to be friends with.

I have had it happen too and told them off and moved on with life. No loss. I found out from another friend that continued his relationship with him he shot his mattress and then had another accidental at the range while a guy was checking targets. Needless to say they don't hang together anymore now either. I got to say "I told you so". Thank god no one was hurt.

Some people shouldn't have guns!

Also went over to speak to a neighbor about discharging pistols in his back yard. We live in a subdivision with kids everywhere. Ended up calling the County Sherriff on him. He acted like I am the one doing wrong and still wont talk to me. Again no loss to me and thank god no one caught a bullet. Keep good company and stay safe.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    "Safe direction."
    ... and it may take over a dozen times of hearing it. Just like when I take a new shooter out and have to say "finger off the trigger" about 100 times. If they get too offended at either of those gentle reminders, then you probably shouldn't be shooting with them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a friend who is really bad about waving guns around in his home. I know they're unloaded but it really freaks me out. It's terrible safety practice and I want to say something but I really do not want to cause offense.

Is there a good way to bring this up without causing offense?

I am socially-inept too often for my own comfort so that doesn't help...

For that matter, is there a tactful way to say this in a gun store? I have seen it a lot, especially during sales at bigger stores. Cabelas' opening days were really bad for that.

You mentioned a tactful way to mention it in a gun store? Some clerks are slow to catch on. I've told a few in the last couple of years that "You point that gun at me again and I'll point mine at you".
    I'm sure I'd pretty much not have to resort to that but it does get the point across.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is a good guy and a long-time friend and I really do not want to hurt his feelings or embarrass him. But I think I have to say something next time I'm over if firearms are at all present. It really does freak me out. And the mentality will transfer over to the range and other folks too so it's really to his advantage to think that way.

Thank you all for the thoughts.

Borrowing a line from Independence Day, Just "TELL him!"

I am very, very careful with handling firearms. No military or police experience, but I have learned from the NRA courses and from my sons (both military trained) not to point guns at people. I have been to many ranges, and gone shooting with Afghanistan veterans. One guy even told me after a range session that he was nervous about my gun handling skills so he watched me carefully as we set up and fired. As we were packing up he told me about his concern and stated I was good to go in his opinion because during the whole time I "never pointed a gun at" him.

Yet, every time I go shooting or clean guns after shooting with my Marine son I somehow manage to sweep him with an unloaded firearm. I just get to talking and I forget I have one in my hand. I make a gesture with my hand and I immediately think, "Crap! I did it again!". My son's rebuke is swift, pointed and painful to my ego; but it is well deserved. I have to learn to pay attention to this when I am talking to him. I enjoy my time with him so much that I forget. He cares enough about life, and our relationship, that he will not let it go unchallenged. I WILL fix this. If we have to agree that I will not handle a firearm while I am talking to him, so be it.

If you like the guy, just tell him. If he is a friend, he will understand that you are acting out of wise concern for safety. If he gets angry, or rejects the word of caution, tell him you will not be with him when guns are handled. NEVER. His choice at that point.

Bottom line: Just Tell Him.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We used to have a neighbor like that. His garage faced ours across the alley. He was always showing off his stupid guns. I "tactfully" said, "Hey! Quit pointing that sh*t at me!" And of course, he replies that he never carries with one in the chamber. I answered that with, "I don't give a sh*t, don't point it at me!" Thankfully, we finally made him mad enough to stop speaking to us. :)

The neighbor may be classified as stupid, not the guns...just saying. Unless you identify them as something most folks on this board would recognize as indeed stupid.

Top Bottom