Tactfully telling someone their gun handling is awful?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Pretty sure when someone is looking at a pistol in a gun shop and they let the muzzle stick into their palm or put their finger over the muzzle that you're safe. There's no way anything could penetrate their hand or finger tip, so everyone A-O-K.

Worked for Sheriff Jason McCullough . . .

[video=youtube;uW3vklH3oYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3vklH3oYM[/video]

John

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    OK, just to be clear: There's never been a POINTING at me. Only sweeping everywhere.

If he's not pointing it in an unsafe direction, just leave him be to shoot holes (negligently or otherwise) in anything he chooses.

If he's doing something unsafe, tackle him.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    There is no place for dainty words or politically correct words to tell some idiot about his dangerous gun handling habits. Just tell the accident awaiting to happen to stop doing what he is doing and to correctly follow the four basic rules of gun safety. If the moron keeps it up say sayonara and don't go near the nut.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Hi INGO. My name is Chris, and I have been the friend unsafely pointing guns at people.

It's been nearly 25 years since I shot my friend's little brother in the chest. Fortunately for me it was not a deadly negligent discharge.

I've posted this once before in another thread, but I will share it here since I wish someone had aggressively called me out that day I purposely pointed a rifle at another kid.

When I was 12 we were playing cards at a neighborhood friend's house on the back porch. His little brother, who was 10 at the time, got up to go inside to get something and I sat in his seat. When he came back he got mad I had taken his seat and he picked up one of several pellet guns the brothers kept laying around. (They were a family that my mom would have called a "bad influence." No dad around, very little supervision from mom. But that's sort of beside the point.)

Anyway, he pointed the rifle at me and told me to get up. I did, but of course I thought, "two can play this game," so I walked over and picked up a second rifle that was leaning up against the wall over in the corner. I pointed it right at his chest from about 4 feet away and pulled the trigger. He doubled over and yelled that I'd shot him. Of course I thought he was joking around at first, but then I started to see the blood spreading on the front of his shirt.

I had thought the gun was unloaded, but in retrospect I could clearly hear the bb's rattling around inside the rifle when I picked it up. I can still hear that sound today when I think of it. The kid had to go to the hospital and have the bb removed from his chest. It went in at an angle and tunneled about 6 inches under his skin before it stopped. His older brother later told me that he had pumped the rifle up enough to kill a rabbit before we had arrived to play cards. The doctor said if it had penetrated straight through it likely would have hit his heart and very well could have killed him

I remember riding my bike home from their house crying because I had just shot my friend's brother and he was on the way to the hospital. Thank goodness the kid was okay after they took the bb out and stitched him up. I see him every once and a while when I go back home and he can joke about it now. But the worst part about the whole ordeal was that the weekend before I sat through the 2 day NRA hunter's safety course so I could go deer hunting with my Dad that year. Obviously the material didn't quite sink in the first time.

Needless to say I don't take the four rules for granted these day. I hate that it took this experience for them to sink in for me. I'm thankful I wasn't older and holding a real rifle that day.

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    ....... I wish someone had aggressively called me out that day I purposely pointed a rifle at another kid.......Needless to say I don't take the four rules for granted these day. I hate that it took this experience for them to sink in for me. I'm thankful I wasn't older and holding a real rifle that day.

Good story and a good lesson learned (unfortunately the hard way). If you were anything like me when you were younger, being called out probably wouldn't have taught you as much.

Since I've owned my handgun there has only been a couple times where the guns came out and we passed them around. Both times were at relatives houses and it was to show someone a gun they had not seen, like the M&P Shield and a Glock 30S. Guns came out and were safely cleared - check - guns were passed around and examined safely - check - I safely reloaded and re-holstered - check - Tom did the same - check - Dick did the same - check - Harry safely reloaded and flagged me as he re-holstered - I just looked at him and shook my head. I guess I should have said something but didn't. We ate dinner, the party started and the guns stayed holstered the rest of the night as they should have.

This thread reminded of the Accidental Shooting in Cleveland back in December. If I were ever in a scene like that I would speak up and the gun would go away or I would go away for sure!

Last edited:

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Some time ago, I was shooting at the company's furnished range indoor. We got all kinds of novices. I was watching when a fellow employee in my front shot once, then turned toward me and placed his gun on the table facing me. The slide was closed and there was a live round in the chamber of the Ruger MKII. I told him immediately to turn the damn gun downrange with his finger outside of the trigger. He got all pissy and didn't talk to me for weeks.
    Tact is out the window when it comes to safety, IMO.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I was at an indoor range yesterday, and someone showed up with an AR15 and two teenaged boys. He was working on the gun somehow with a screwdriver trying to adjust or fix something, and he was sweeping everything in sight, including the two teenagers. I was the only other shooter on the line at the time, and I packed up and left immediately. No way was I going to be anywhere near that guy.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have never served in the military and have never been in combat...But I have shot on a Saturday at Clark County Gun Range....That's as close to combat as I have ever been....Still have nightmares about it......

A man about 30 and his father were next to me and the young man was loading his Glock 19 magazine...And putting the shells in backwards...I corrected him and gave him the basics....All four of them...He fired about four rounds or so and turned to me with the gun pointed at my chest and his finger on the trigger and said, "This thing is ****** awesome...I LOVE IT!!!!!"

I told him to point his firearm downrange and to take his finger off of the trigger...I then looked at his father and said, "I am going to speak very harshly to your son but it's for his own good and I just wanted to give you a heads up...."

He nodded...

I turned to the son and said, "If you ever point a gun at me again I will kill you dead.....Do you understand??? I need you to drop the magazine, clear the weapon, hand it to your father and listen to every ******* word that comes out of my mouth and to take them with you to your grave...Are we clear???"

And then I went in to nice mode and explained gun safety to him.....Afterwords his father thanked me......

I threw up about a half hour later...Got the shakes real bad too....He was pointing the gun at my chest with the finger on the trigger and gesturing with it...

And that's when we decided to buy some property and put in our own range.....

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    It depends on your friend's character. Some people are so touchy that any critical comment will hurt them. And some are so thick-skinned that they "don't hear" polite words. You can be polite and kind - but in many situations, it will not work. And I also choose to hurt someone's feelings - it's better than emergency caused by unsafe gun handling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never served in the military and have never been in combat...But I have shot on a Saturday at Clark County Gun Range....That's as close to combat as I have ever been....Still have nightmares about it......

A man about 30 and his father were next to me and the young man was loading his Glock 19 magazine...And putting the shells in backwards...I corrected him and gave him the basics....All four of them...He fired about four rounds or so and turned to me with the gun pointed at my chest and his finger on the trigger and said, "This thing is ****** awesome...I LOVE IT!!!!!"

I told him to point his firearm downrange and to take his finger off of the trigger...I then looked at his father and said, "I am going to speak very harshly to your son but it's for his own good and I just wanted to give you a heads up...."

He nodded...

I turned to the son and said, "If you ever point a gun at me again I will kill you dead.....Do you understand??? I need you to drop the magazine, clear the weapon, hand it to your father and listen to every ******* word that comes out of my mouth and to take them with you to your grave...Are we clear???"

And then I went in to nice mode and explained gun safety to him.....Afterwords his father thanked me......

I threw up about a half hour later...Got the shakes real bad too....He was pointing the gun at my chest with the finger on the trigger and gesturing with it...

And that's when we decided to buy some property and put in our own range.....

I might have disarmed him. Then punched his dad out for allowing that kind of behavior.
    Then had the spouse come and get me out of jail. I understand the process.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Unfortunately I don’t do much of the “show and tell” with firearms anymore. It’s just not worth the risk with how the majority of people handle guns. Neighbor friend would stop by and ask to see anything new that I had acquired.

I would get out what firearm I wanted to proudly display, make sure the gun was cleared then hand it to him with slide opened and muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

The first thing the chuckle head would do is disassemble the gun and inspect all the parts like he was trying to purchase it or show off his skills. The guy can’t see up close with his glasses on so he looks over his glasses with the gun 6” from his face. If he didn’t take it apart, he would look over every square inch of the gun 6” from his face. He is so focused on the gun he lost awareness of where the gun was pointed.

The guy normally has good handling skills at the range and daily carry methods but doesn’t treat known unloaded guns in a safe manner. NO Gun should ever be pointed at anything your not willing to destroy, loaded or not.

Top Bottom