• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    It seems the new normal for bolt action rifles is to have a black synthetic stock and a more tactical design. Are these replacing grandpa's old 30-06? If so, why?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Because it's "tacticool".

It all depends.
    Synthetic stocks can be an attribute, but they can also be junk.
    You get what you pay for in a stock.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Pretty wood stocks need care, in handling, and some upkeep.

Synthetics are easier to make, virtually zero upkeep and come in more desirable configurations.

Detachable box magazines just make life better, IMHO.

Big bolt knobs, easier to manipulate under stress.

The word tactical gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, I am not sure what features other than the stock you are refering to when you mention "tactical design".

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Grandpa's old blued steel, wood stocked 30-06............if not properly cared for would be a rusted piece of junk with a cracked/warped wood stock and moldy leather sling.

Hike around all day in the snow/rain with a synthetic stocked, stainless barrel/action, modern military sling and you don't have nearly the care and maintenance issues that plague your grandpa's old rifle.

That being said, those people that are anal about their care and cleaning don't have many or any issues keeping things nice. And, they have much nicer looking guns than those with "tactical" synthetic stocks that will take a beating all day long and not look any worse the wear.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Pretty wood stocks need care, in handling, and some upkeep.

Synthetics are easier to make, virtually zero upkeep and come in more desirable configurations.

Detachable box magazines just make life better, IMHO.

Big bolt knobs, easier to manipulate under stress.

The word tactical gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, I am not sure what features other than the stock you are refering to when you mention "tactical design".
    I fall into the "Grand Pa" category I sadly admit.
    To this end I must say I have both the fancy wood, deep blueing, and Plastic ugly guns labeled "tactical" by some of the more optimistic.
    There's no more or less maintenance on either as far as I can tell.
    Am I anal in cleaning? I may be to some and to others I may be lax in my cleaning. I don't have rusty guns and my wood guns are still in good shape. Many are over 100 years old and still get shooting time.
    Good bluing lasts forever as do any quality made product. Good wood will outlast a human's lifetime.
    I own both, shoot both, and use both for all types shooting.
    Tactical is ugly to me but it has a wicked cool factor making it desirable to me. A well finished quality gun is sexy, beautiful, and to be appreciated.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like the old grandpa type guns. Something about wood and blued steel.

I don't have a single long gun that isn't blued with a wood stock.....they just look nicer, and I have more pride in ownership because they display craftsmanship and not automated machining.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Embrace diversity. Different strokes for different folks. I can appreciate beautiful wood stocks, mother of pearl inlays, amazing carvings & checkering, and deep, rich bluing. But I can also appreciate a combat proven (and/or combat inspired) weapon covered in accessory rails, pistol grips, and 38 way adjustable buttstocks that have beat-to-hell paint jobs, paracord & duct tape covered slings, and mole skin all over the grip & cheek rest. It's all about personal preference. Diversity is what makes us great; both as a country and as firearms enthusiasts.

Great topic, OP!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I fall into the "Grand Pa" category I sadly admit.
    To this end I must say I have both the fancy wood, deep blueing, and Plastic ugly guns labeled "tactical" by some of the more optimistic.
    There's no more or less maintenance on either as far as I can tell.
    Am I anal in cleaning? I may be to some and to others I may be lax in my cleaning. I don't have rusty guns and my wood guns are still in good shape. Many are over 100 years old and still get shooting time.
    Good bluing lasts forever as do any quality made product. Good wood will outlast a human's lifetime.
    I own both, shoot both, and use both for all types shooting.
    Tactical is ugly to me but it has a wicked cool factor making it desirable to me. A well finished quality gun is sexy, beautiful, and to be appreciated.

You can be as anal as you want about cleaning, but if you actually press any firearm into service in adverse conditions, it's going to end up showing it.

But stainless and synthetic will go a lot further before becoming a ratty mess, and doesn't require you to baby it in the field. That last part can mean a lot, do you want function or form? Really all it comes down to.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I love a long gun with a deep walnut finish...but I'm not taking in afield, because I'll be afraid of denting/nicking it and paranoid about cleaning and oiling it. As such, that relegates it to being a range toy.

Kinda like taking a Belgium-made Browning Diana on a poor-weather bird hunt...you can do it, but its stupid as hell when you can get a Benelli, Versa-Max, Beretta or similar that will take inclement weather.

You can also make a black synthetic stock look about any way you might want to with some Krylon...

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I like the old grandpa type guns. Something about wood and blued steel.

I don't have a single long gun that isn't blued with a wood stock.....they just look nicer, and I have more pride in ownership because they display craftsmanship and not automated machining.

You would have to be running 70 year old rifles to get one that wasn't fully made with automated machining. NC machines and pantographs have been fully in use longer than many of us have been alive.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Wood stocks, while beautiful, can absorb and lose moisture as the seasons change. These dimensional changes can affect the point of impact depending on how and where the stock touches the barrel. Synthetic stocks typically don't have these dimensional changes.

It's already been mentioned that synthetic stocks can be abused more without showing damage. They also can have pillar bedding blocks molded into the stock where wood stocks would have to have them added.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    A lot of new synthetic socks are such crappy pieces of plastic is disgraceful that some manufacturers put them on their rifles. Some are really rough and nice. A KID showed me a Rem 770 he bought that had a plastic stock that flopped around like a sorority chick. That synthetic stock is NOT superior to the well crafted piece of Walnut currently t residing on my 40 year old M77 and that rifle is not more accurate despite being more tactical than mine. My old M77 goes everywhere in all conditions BUT (as others have said,) I tale care of it. I wouldn't call it anal, bit out status reasonably clean and gets dried off. Most folks never push their synthetic rifles to the environmental edge they claim they need them for. That being said, my wife nearly bought a MacM stocked Savage in .338 because she thought we needed a Winter gun.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    A lot of new synthetic socks are such crappy pieces of plastic is disgraceful that some manufacturers put them on their rifles. Some are really rough and nice. A KID showed me a Rem 770 he bought that had a plastic stock that flopped around like a sorority chick. That synthetic stock is NOT superior to the well crafted piece of Walnut currently t residing on my 40 year old M77 and that rifle is not more accurate despite being more tactical than mine. My old M77 goes everywhere in all conditions BUT (as others have said,) I tale care of it. I wouldn't call it anal, bit out status reasonably clean and gets dried off. Most folks never push their synthetic rifles to the environmental edge they claim they need them for. That being said, my wife nearly bought a MacM stocked Savage in .338 because she thought we needed a Winter gun.

Those stocks usually aren't being advertised as superior either. If you look at most budget lines, the cheapest rifles have the synthetic stocks. That's because they're cheap and easy to produce. If you go up in price from there, you will get wood stocks. Go up from there, the wood/finish gets nicer. At the top of the heap, you have the high-performance synthetic stocks or the very beautiful expensive wood stocks. The sythentic stocks are better for performance and consistency, but the high-budget wood stocks are for looks and craftsmanship.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am a grandpa gun kind of guy. But I don't drag mine threw the woods. Mine are mostly range toys. I removed the plastic stock from my wally world 700 30-06 with a Boyds thumb hole. If feels good to me and that's what counts. Build what "you" like and that's what's cool!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I agree that some are garbage though. The Savage FV-SR rimfire comes with a DREADFULLY useless stock if you are over the age of 10.

aescsar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2014
    Bedford
    It just depends on what your after, some folks prefer a beautiful rifle, some prefer performance. Neither is the wrong answer, just different.

Most wooden stocks are too long for me to use, especially when I wear bulky winter clothers, so I usually take about an inch and a half off the end.

"Tactical" stocks often have adjustments that make them easier for me to use. Of course, cheap plastic stocks are almost worthless to me as they are harder to modify.

My daddy was a woodworker and I have a deep appreciation for gorgeous woodwork, and quite frankly most of the "grandpa" guns out there don't have nice wood stocks, and I much prefer the elegance of a nicely made tactical stock (which to me means either it is adjustable or it had other features you simply can't get on a wood stock) over a cheap wooden stock.

I also like being able to come in after shooting out in the rain, set the gun over the floor register, and be done with it. I don't dare do that with a wooden stock.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I really think it's a user preferance and intended use thing. I have and use both. I have a 'Grandpa" gun wood stocked 30-06 that has spent a lot of time in a saddle scabbard out west and killed a lot of critters. A scabbard is hard on a gun and the bluing is worn off in many places on the barrel and the finish is rubbed on the wood. I could restore it, but it will happen again on the next trip. Plus I kind of like the wear and tear it has earned. Try as you might, wear is unavoidable with hard use. I also have synthetic stocked satinless steel barreled rifles that have spent equal time in a saddle scabbard and you can't tell from looking at them. On a trip to northern Quebec to hunt caribou where it rained almost all day everyday, I was glad I had a stainless synthetic "tacticool" rifle with me. The wood stocked rifle would have drawn moisture. It was unavoidable and nothing ever dried completely. I choose the rifle I take based on circumstances, weather, how I will be hunting, traveling, etc...not just by Grandpa style or tacticool. That being said, I'd wager more make that choice by coolness factor rather than by use factor.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom