• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Aint nuthin' wrong with a wood stock of decent grain. Free floated, action or maybe just recoil lug bedded, they stay pretty consistent.
    Might have to check/rezero from summer chucking to winter yoting, but then that's no big deal. How is more shooting a bad thing? ;)

Easier and cheaper to mold stuff and bolt it together (stocks and recoil pads/buttplates), than fit and finish wood.

Wood stocks can get beat up rather easily, and if you want to camo it.............it's less of a sin to Krylon that cheap arsed black plastic.
    Cold weather.........if bare faced, that wood is a little nicer than plastic.

I run a 700 synth, because it's my yote rifle and I'm gonna bang it around. However if I find an old red pad #1 with good wood I'll snag it as a second .243...............just for shooting chucks. Because some pretty rifles can shoot darn well :)

And functional with good looks is a winner.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    One of my favorite rifles isn't really a grandpa gun or synthetic. It's a Model 70 Winchester in .243 with laminated stock. Decent bluing and nothing fancy except the accuracy and smooth action. It's seen a lot of nasty weather over the years. I bought it in 83 and it's got a few thousand rounds through it with plenty of yotes, foxes, ground hogs, and a few other types of game. I check the scope every year but I haven't had to adjust it in a few years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I like the old grandpa type guns. Something about wood and blued steel.

I don't have a single long gun that isn't blued with a wood stock.....they just look nicer, and I have more pride in ownership because they display craftsmanship and not automated machining.

I agree! That's what I grew up with, but I am a newer firearms owner and it just seems the whole world of firearms has been overloaded with this tactical style (if you can call it style) and, although they have their place, I think they look like crap.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    say my old military rifles with wood stock have yet to give me any trouble, a little bit of care go's a long way and if the stock is sealed properly it won't have a issue i can wipe moisture off my stocks and it often beads off on its own. as for why a tactical bolt gun? cause you can if you think its cool get one if you dont like them dont buy one.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol on order. It uses AR mags and has open sights, and a rail for scope. Threaded BBL. In 223.
    I do not run/gun anymore and I have a Bushy 223. Something fun to shoot.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its all about what you like. Although in an older rifle I do like a nice wood stock. But if its a real nice wood stock Id be afraid of damaging it when taking it out.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    To me it's all about "shooting" and I have a very nice, fancy, rifle that's a real shooter so I use it in the field.
    I spend thousands of dollars on a good hunting trip and make sure I bring home the "bacon" with it. (for INGO)
    Do I worry about scratch, dents, and rust? Somewhat I guess but I worry about making that ONE SHOT on a big muley, antelope, or elk from a long way away. I trust that rifle to make each shot. I shoot it well and we work good together. That's what it's all about to me. I'll concern myself about the details after the shot.
    Oh, I've been hunting this rifle hard in all the elements for over 35 years and it still looks darned fine.
    I am breaking in a Rem 700 I put together a few years back. Fluted barrel, composite adjustable stock, bipod, and high buck glass. When I'm comfortable with it I'm sure I'll use it. Or....not.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If guns advertised as "tactical" are wanta' be's, what are the guys who buy them? Pretenda' be's? .......Just kiddin'. :)

My Savages all have oversize (tactical?) bolt knobs. They are easier to manipulate under the stress of a prairie dog stampede!

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Some things just look weird if you get to messing around with them too much.

TAR15%20RightW.jpg

_41026_464SPX_30-30_SUPPRESSOR.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I fall into the "Grand Pa" category I sadly admit.
    To this end I must say I have both the fancy wood, deep blueing, and Plastic ugly guns labeled "tactical" by some of the more optimistic.
    There's no more or less maintenance on either as far as I can tell.
    Am I anal in cleaning? I may be to some and to others I may be lax in my cleaning. I don't have rusty guns and my wood guns are still in good shape. Many are over 100 years old and still get shooting time.
    Good bluing lasts forever as do any quality made product. Good wood will outlast a human's lifetime.
    I own both, shoot both, and use both for all types shooting.
    Tactical is ugly to me but it has a wicked cool factor making it desirable to me. A well finished quality gun is sexy, beautiful, and to be appreciated.
    Thanks to advances in pharmaceuticals... ;) But remember, if it lasts more than 4 hours, call your physician immediately.

But back to the topic at hand, I guess I fall into the grandpa category too. Despite all the practical advantages of polymer stocks, etc., I just plain like the look and feel of wood and blued steel. I don't hunt anymore, so I don't really "need" my rifles to be all that weatherproof, over and above prudent care.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom