• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I am a relatively new gun owner. One thing many veteran owners might not appreciate is how intimidating it can be to go into a gun store.

Here are some issues I had and many other people may have.

1. I didn't feel comfortable just walking into one. Didn't know what etiquette was inside.

2. Culture told me it was not a good place to go. Only "gun nuts" go there.

3. It's full of guns, you could put your eye out!

This last weekend, I made a point to take my teenage daughter into two different stores. She saw there was nothing mysterious in there. She meet friendly employees who were very helpful.

Find a friend or family member who has never been in one and invite them to go with you. You might be surprised what they learn that you already knew.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I enjoy going to them but always feel like a teenager in a liqur story,happy to be there but don't feel I belong there.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I need to check out the new place in Muncie, the gunshop on here i want to go to are hours away. For some reason around here people want more then new prices for used stuff or $100 more then you can get elsewhere. I'd like a LGS to support if they can be competitive.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with the OP. The media and society in general has done a pretty good job making many people uncomfortable around firearms and making them leary of gunshops and gunowners in general.

I love to help new shooters get into the hobby and realize the importance of the 2A.
    I usually always ask them after their first trip to the range or a couple shops: so is it what you expected? They always respond no not at all, I was expecting this or that (insert any number of typical steryotypes).

Once they realize how many people do carry firearms and realize they are all different people from all walks of life it helps them to come around to the fact that firearms are not evil.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I will say that I feel much more comfortable in certain stores than in others.

When I walk in one and one of the employees greets me by name... That's pretty nice. It also tells me that MAYBE I've spent too much time in there.

Or when I can go into another local store, with my wife and child, and not have anyone even greet me...AND have to deal with two punks standing at the counter, cussing up a storm, about how "I don't care if it were a 6-year-old who broke into my car, I'm going to smash their face"... Stay classy, you idiot.

-J-

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If I am not there to buy anything Ill tell them that, they will typically answer any questions I have. I've had one store ignore me from there on out, and I had 800 bucks to spend on a handgun and a 1022.

I hate the college age guys who think they are U8312 1337 or tacticool, and are total jackasses who know nothing more than CoD.

I actually asked the owner about a handgun I knew a **** ton about, and he lied rather than looking it up. I like to test people before I buy. And I like to help others out too...especially at best buy.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    If I am not there to buy anything Ill tell them that, they will typically answer any questions I have. I've had one store ignore me from there on out, and I had 800 bucks to spend on a handgun and a 1022.

I hate the college age guys who think they are U8312 1337 or tacticool, and are total jackasses who know nothing more than CoD.

I actually asked the owner about a handgun I knew a **** ton about, and he lied rather than looking it up. I like to test people before I buy. And I like to help others out too...especially at best buy.

This ^. I always get a laugh when i hear someone talk about a certain gun being "from" Call of Duty like it didn't exist before COD.:dunno: I hate when I go into gun shops and all the guys around my age are looking at the AR's with rails full of accessories Then when i buy a rifle or shotgun thats actually not made of plastic the workers are surprised.

I WILL not buy a gun from Gander Mountain. I can never get anyone to show me a gun anyway. I asked about a gun one time to see if they could get it and the guy just looked at me like I was an idiot.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My only advise to anyone new to the whole LGS experience is to verify any information you hear there thru other independent sources. :yesway:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Great post. I agree. I try to go with my friend whenever he's seriously looking at purchasing a gun and he's coming along nicely... kind of a friendly "coaching"

I wish my dad had taken me to all sorts of different stores when I was young, it would help demistify the ideas of specialty shops. (gun stores, outdoor stores, etc.)

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I took both my boys this weekend. My 8 year old has been in several gun stores and shot a lot of times but it was my 5 year olds first time in an actual gun store. His mom would flip if he tells her that I bought a gun while he was there with me. She is super mega anti gun hippie and doesn't want them to shoot a gun until they are AT LEAST 18. :(

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I took both my boys this weekend. My 8 year old has been in several gun stores and shot a lot of times but it was my 5 year olds first time in an actual gun store. His mom would flip if he tells her that I bought a gun while he was there with me. She is super mega anti gun hippie and doesn't want them to shoot a gun until they are AT LEAST 18. :(

Tell her that kids are like little sponges. They will soak up gun safety now more than any other time in their lives. It's worth a shot.:):

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    If it had not been for Cub Scouts and being introduced to gun safety at such a young age, I doubt that I would have the respect for firearms that I do today!

The LGS in Muncie, I think is a decent place. The store is also part pawn shop, but they usually have a decent selection. There is not a ton of brand new stuff, but if you want it they can get it.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Good post. I agree that I got the feeling like it was baaaad to go to gun shops, and I shouldn't get caught there, like I was breaking curfew or something. That quickly disappeared after a few purchases and at least monthly visits to check the used selection. I think the guys/gal at my LGS know my face by now so that helps when the place is crowded. I usually get quick service.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I was never intimidated by the guns and ammo, per se. I just always felt my ignorance on terminology and etiquette were lacking. After talking with some of the sales folks and educating myself on various things, I became more comfortable.

I do understand how guns and gun stores could be intimidating to a newb!

Mike G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Greenwood
    There is nothing like walking into a gun shop for the first time and feeling like your running the gauntlet of regulars that hang out in there before your cleared to begin browsing and asking questions. :)

Top Bottom