Talk me off the ledge folks! (not you hoosierdoc, you're worse off than me)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    No argument. Transformers generate an electromagnetic field also. That's how they work. But as you said, not strong enough to be damaging.

Maybe all the electricians are offing themselves because they have to work with tin knockers all day.:):
    Witn no wishto hijack this thread, I have a question for you hi tension/electric guys. I was having a beer outside at Rock Bottom on 86st (Indpls). Some Hi T wires are nearby. I swear I heard 'singing' from the wires. Is this possible? No anal probing followed, so at least there's that. I only had 1 beer and my pooch was with me.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Witn no wishto hijack this thread, I have a question for you hi tension/electric guys. I was having a beer outside at Rock Bottom on 86st (Indpls). Some Hi T wires are nearby. I swear I heard 'singing' from the wires. Is this possible? No anal probing followed, so at least there's that. I only had 1 beer and my pooch was with me.

Yes. totally possible. It's especially prevalent on a humid or rainy day. What you are hearing is 60 Hz "hum"

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If you have a good digital amp probe you can see the field around an electric motor with it. It is there. Not at a damaging level but it is there.
    I'm kinda concerned about all this talk of digital probes. Who gives them and who gets them?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It was probably the pooch singing. Mine sings occasionally. Funny coincidence that an ambulence or police car drives by with sirens blaring shortly after.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think electricians are high on the list because they spend the majority of their day trying to fix stupid. IE, guys who can't troubleshoot a single position 2 coil air valve.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    If you have a good digital amp probe you can see the field around an electric motor with it. It is there. Not at a damaging level but it is there.

I can't even count how many times my credit cards, & room keys magnetic strips were wiped out by working on the motors & generators in Mills, Power Plants, and Draglines.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't even count how many times my credit cards, & room keys magnetic strips were wiped out by working on the motors & generators in Mills, Power Plants, and Draglines.

If you have a phase imbalance or a very poor earth ground on the system you will get that.
    Take Amp clamp and open the jaws slightly around the junction box on a 440 3 phase motor. Adjust the jaws till you get the highest reading and then move it along the motor casing. You will see the field.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you have a phase imbalance or a very poor earth ground on the system you will get that.
    Take Amp clamp and open the jaws slightly around the junction box on a 440 3 phase motor. Adjust the jaws till you get the highest reading and then move it along the motor casing. You will see the field.

Maybe you can "see" the field, but you can't actually see it with the amp clamp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe you can "see" the field, but you can't actually see it with the amp clamp.

Yes it does register on the read out. I have been doing this since digital clamps (Fluke) have become the norm. The jaws have to be open slightly for this to occur. Not magic.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

I've never had that problem with AC motors, it's always been the DC motors, & Gen's with field excitation.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think a few of them attract people who make the mistake of getting their self-identity wrapped up in their career. A career that then sucks the life out of them through stress and long work days. They can't stand the way they are living, but can't leave it because their career is their entire self-identity.

I once had a conversation with a guy who left a high-profile career to become a humble janitor. He said it doesn't pay much, but being dead pays nothing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes it does register on the read out. I have been doing this since digital clamps (Fluke) have become the norm. The jaws have to be open slightly for this to occur. Not magic.

I was only saying it doesn't make the field become visible. What you read is only a representation. Like an oscilloscope. In other words, you "see" it rather than you see it.

Top Bottom