• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Can an unmodified glock (factory barrel) handle the hotter 10mm loads ?

?.......Huh?......the 20 an' 29 run any 10mm ya run thru,I b'lieve.......:dunno:.......I would'n hestate ta shoot anything out of'em 10mm wise......1 good thing on'a 2(G20/G29).....can put a Wolf .40 barrel in,an' shoot the cheaper .40 cal ammo.......cain't do the opposite (10mm loads in a .40 cal gun....)

short308

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    ?.......Huh?......the 20 an' 29 run any 10mm ya run thru,I b'lieve.......:dunno:.......I would'n hestate ta shoot anything out of'em 10mm wise......1 good thing on'a 2.....can put a Wolf .40 barrel in,an' shoot the cheaper .40 cal ammo.......cain't do the opposite (10mm loads in a .40 cal gun....)

I don't know glocks. I just know that if I'm going to buy a 10 I will push it. And if I'm going to push it i want to make sure they have a fully supported chamber. Not knocking glock, the worst case I saw of this was a 10mm 1911. Shib's 1911 actually.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I don't know glocks. I just know that if I'm going to buy a 10 I will push it. And if I'm going to push it i want to make sure they have a fully supported chamber. Not knocking glock, the worst case I saw of this was a 10mm 1911. Shib's 1911 actually.

G20/G29 ?........shoot it.......an' don' sweat it.......only thing more bad-azz carrywise.......be sumthin' in .460 Rowland.......

like I said earlier.......had 1......great carry piece,an' I'll eventually run 'cross another 1......

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Wrong on all accounts! Your comments sound just like the BS found in a lot of gun shops! You wouldn't happen to be a .357sig fan would you...

Please enlighten me on 10mm HP bullet construction.

Speed and energy dont mean squat if the bullet cant perform.

And I dont own a 357sig.

Last edited:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If you plan on carrying 10mm, then it's probably a good way to go. If you plan on hunting with 10mm and/or just want a 10mm handgun, then go for the Glock 20. Go online, find hot loads and use those.

When I had my 20, I shot alot of lighter loads and I just didn't get my kicks out of it anymore.

I found myself liking the 9mm better for carrying for a number of reasons.

I would probably have no issues carrying a 29, other than the fact that I'd prefer to have more rounds in a more manageable platform.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    :rolleyes:.......Uhhhhh.....
    Beg ta differ,dude.......a .40 ain't nuth'n but a 10mm with it's nutz cut out.......big-azz differnce 'tween 1050 fps an' 15-1600 fps......it'a outshoot .357.......it'a outshoot .45 Super........

An' ya prolly need ta shop the 10mm ammo other places than Wallyworld or RuralKing........

Read it again.

He's saying that the existing bullets (the actual projectile) are overwhelmingly designed for the lower velicities of the .40SW.

This is true.

Underwood's loading of the 180gr Gold Dot at 1300fps causes that Gold Dot to almost turn inside out-- it's too fast for the bullet design.
    [video=youtube_share;sl_n_miLfbY]http://youtu.be/sl_n_miLfbY[/video]

XTPs seem to hold together pretty well at 10mm speeds. But they are some of the few loadings that do.

Even if you COULD get loose HSTs, they would do poorly in 10mm as they are fully expanding at only 1050FPS. Same with Rangers/PDX1s, etc.

There is a real shortage of actual bullets designed to capitalize on the extra 200-300fps of the 10mm.

A 135gr Nosler JHP at 1600fps from Underwood doesn't even look like a bullet anymore in the gel block-- it looks like an amoeba or something.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you plan on carrying 10mm, then it's probably a good way to go. If you plan on hunting with 10mm and/or just want a 10mm handgun, then go for the Glock 20. Go online, find hot loads and use those.

When I had my 20, I shot alot of lighter loads and I just didn't get my kicks out of it anymore.

I found myself liking the 9mm better for carrying for a number of reasons.

I would probably have no issues carrying a 29, other than the fact that I'd prefer to have more rounds in a more manageable platform.

As much as I love my G20, I don't see much point to the G29. For one, it's NOT a very compact gun. And in a pistol that size, the actual ballistic advantage over a .40 is not going to be extreme.

One legit purpose of 10mm is 200gr and heavier hardcast bullets, as a woods gun. There's no .40SW loadings that are approximations of this. (though I see Buffalo Bore now has a .40SW hardcast load that's heavy).

If I had a G29 and a G23 side by side, I'd take the G23 every time. I love the 10mm, it's just not a good fit for a compact gun. Makes as much sense to me as a G30 in .460 Rowland.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ballistics by the Inch did some testing, but the difference of a 0.9 inch of barrel length with the ammo the OP would shoot is hard to say. difference between 3" and 4" is 80fps with hot Buffalo Bore 180gr loads.

Is 80fps important? Not to me, but the OP is the one who gets to make that call.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I have one I use as a beater type gun when i don't wanna risk one of my nicer 1911s like on the quad or the RZR or this weekend when my son and I were on the youth hunt and it poured rain. Takes the same loads as my other 10s just fine so I don't have to maintain 2 calibers in my reloading. I like it for it's purpose but it for sure would not be my 1st or only 10mm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My first Glock was .40SW, but I sold it and now just have a G20. I love the G20.

Is it just as bad to have a 10mm as your only glock as it is to have it as your first?

short308

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Did some trading and a Glock 20 followed me home last night. Very interesting, liking it so far. Going to be an interesting carry piece. Thinking about chopping the grip, But I'll give it a while first.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you don't reload, finding quality 10mm is probably more difficult than your common calibers. I've never owned anything in 10mm, but from what I understand most factory 10mm ammo is pretty mild. Underwood Ammo would be a good source of full power loads...I'm sure there are others.

Try www.littlestonesrus.com/ ...they just introduced 10mm ammo! I like their program where you buy their ammo in a plastic box...then they make you a nice deal on reloading it for you...it costs about 1/2 the price of the original purchase, if you retain and return the casings in the same box!

I've been buying their 9mm PD stuff loaded with Sierra JHP's...it's really accurate and at 1350 fps x 466'#s...it makes for some nice, light-weight ammo. (Please note that the wife and I decided, about 3 years ago, to start carrying the same caliber...so I've switched to the hotter 9mm +P+ stuff to feel more comfortable with 9mm ammo.)

I'm going to try their .45 Colt +P with the Sierra JHP's for deer this fall...at 1,340 fps & 950+ ft/lbs of energy...it outta be a winner!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom