• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Niche caliber.

Even if you do find ammo (and can afford it) chances are it isn't any more effective as a SD round than a 40.

Most bullet construction in 10mm/40 is designed and manufactured at 40 velocities, not hot 10mm.

Sure, you can find hot 10mm, but if its HP it probably wasn't intended for 10mm velocity.

Wrong on all accounts! Your comments sound just like the BS found in a lot of gun shops! You wouldn't happen to be a .357sig fan would you...

:rolleyes:.......Uhhhhh.....
    Beg ta differ,dude.......a .40 ain't nuth'n but a 10mm with it's nutz cut out.......big-azz differnce 'tween 1050 fps an' 15-1600 fps......it'a outshoot .357.......it'a outshoot .45 Super........

An' ya prolly need ta shop the 10mm ammo other places than Wallyworld or RuralKing........

I'm a huge fan of the 10mm. My G20 is presently my only Glock. I think it's the best all-around handgun on the planet.

But let's get some truth out there. First, there's no 10mm load that's pushing a bullet at 1500fps that a .40SW would only push to 1050fps. If you have a HOT 180gr .40 load at 1050fps (most are 1000ish), a HOT 10mm load in 180gr is still under 1300fps. Not 1500. Not 1600. The 10mm is not some kind of magic energy beam-- it's a projectile weapon just like any other gun. To get 1600fps in a 10mm, you are talking at lightweight 135gr load from Underwood that's pushing the envelope for pressure. That same bullet in .40SW would be about 1300fps-- probably faster. Heck, underwood shows their 155gr GDHP as being 1300fps (I have some in possession) for .40SW.

The bottom line is that 10mm is MAYBE 250-300fps hotter than .40 in equivalent loads. And that's VERY generous. Most 10mm loads are not even 200fps faster.

The reality is that no one is designing .40 caliber bullets for higher 10mm velicity ranges. A 180gr Gold Dot almost turns inside out at 1300fps-- and a BONDED bullet shows jacket/core separation in TNoutdoors9's testing. It's simply too fast for the Gold Dot.

Federal HSTs? .40 caliber only

Ranger T? .40 only.

Noticing the trend yet? None of the major companies is offering their "latest greatest" bullet designs optimized for 10mm speeds.

Instead, you get a Silvertip in a 10mm Winchester. You get an XTP (no slouch) from Hornady, not a Critical anything (unless you get from Cabela's--more on that in a second). From Federal you get that antiquated Hydra-shock. See? None of the current latest LEO bullets loaded at full 10mm power, if it's loaded at all.

The simple fact that 357 posted is absolutely true: none of the major ammo manufacturers offers a full-power 10mm load with a bullet designed to take advantage of that power.

Instead, the 10mm enthusiast must resort to smaller companies loading component bullets at full power. Maybe a Buffalo Bore with a Barnes TAC-XP is as good as it gets; maybe not.

Survey the market for 10mm ammo looking for the latest bullet designs from each manufacturer and you will come up empty. If you find any at all, it's the old ammo they've been pumping out for 20 years on a limited basis.

There is one notable exception. Hornady now makes under contract a Cabela's exclusive 10mm loading of the Critical Duty. It's the same 175 gr bullet as the .40SW version, but about 150fps hotter.

This is, to my knowledge, the only 10mm loading from a major manufacturer that uses a bullet design less than 10 years old at velocities more than 100fps faster than .40SW.

I just took delivery of a box, and they look awesome in 10mm form :rockwoot:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    To continue--

There's no evidence, really, that the extra 200fps of a 10mm gives you a major ballistic advantage over the .40. Even if you COULD spray a 180gr Gold Dot at 1400fps-- would it help you any? Does the extra recoil speed up your follow up? Does the flash from the nuclear load help your night vision?

Terminal ballistics are not a linear relationship. A 700lb-ft 10mm load is not twice as deadly as a 350lb-ft 9mm load. Even if you COULD get as many bullets on target as quickly.

IMO, the main appeal of the 10mm is versatility, not brute power. I love being able to shoot 220gr or 135gr bullets with several options in between. I can shoot the super hot loads or just .40SW level performance-- or less if I wanted. Heck, a Gold Dot short barrel is only 950fps @ 180 grains-- a real *****cat load.

It's just so versatile. Usually you'd have to have a revolver to get that kind of versatility.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I'm a huge fan of the 10mm. My G20 is presently my only Glock. I think it's the best all-around handgun on the planet.

But let's get some truth out there. First, there's no 10mm load that's pushing a bullet at 1500fps that a .40SW would only push to 1050fps. If you have a HOT 180gr .40 load at 1050fps (most are 1000ish), a HOT 10mm load in 180gr is still under 1300fps. Not 1500. Not 1600. The 10mm is not some kind of magic energy beam-- it's a projectile weapon just like any other gun. To get 1600fps in a 10mm, you are talking at lightweight 135gr load from Underwood that's pushing the envelope for pressure. That same bullet in .40SW would be about 1300fps-- probably faster. Heck, underwood shows their 155gr GDHP as being 1300fps (I have some in possession) for .40SW.

The bottom line is that 10mm is MAYBE 250-300fps hotter than .40 in equivalent loads. And that's VERY generous. Most 10mm loads are not even 200fps faster.

The reality is that no one is designing .40 caliber bullets for higher 10mm velicity ranges. A 180gr Gold Dot almost turns inside out at 1300fps-- and a BONDED bullet shows jacket/core separation in TNoutdoors9's testing. It's simply too fast for the Gold Dot.

Federal HSTs? .40 caliber only

Ranger T? .40 only.

Noticing the trend yet? None of the major companies is offering their "latest greatest" bullet designs optimized for 10mm speeds.

Instead, you get a Silvertip in a 10mm Winchester. You get an XTP (no slouch) from Hornady, not a Critical anything (unless you get from Cabela's--more on that in a second). From Federal you get that antiquated Hydra-shock. See? None of the current latest LEO bullets loaded at full 10mm power, if it's loaded at all.

The simple fact that 357 posted is absolutely true: none of the major ammo manufacturers offers a full-power 10mm load with a bullet designed to take advantage of that power.

Instead, the 10mm enthusiast must resort to smaller companies loading component bullets at full power. Maybe a Buffalo Bore with a Barnes TAC-XP is as good as it gets; maybe not.

Survey the market for 10mm ammo looking for the latest bullet designs from each manufacturer and you will come up empty. If you find any at all, it's the old ammo they've been pumping out for 20 years on a limited basis.

There is one notable exception. Hornady now makes under contract a Cabela's exclusive 10mm loading of the Critical Duty. It's the same 175 gr bullet as the .40SW version, but about 150fps hotter.

This is, to my knowledge, the only 10mm loading from a major manufacturer that uses a bullet design less than 10 years old at velocities more than 100fps faster than .40SW.

I just took delivery of a box, and they look awesome in 10mm form :rockwoot:

:dunno:

10mm 125gr. Barnes TAC-XP Lead Free 20rds.

Only one x'ample..........

Like I said.......the '.40' ......came from the 10mm.......just castrated,LOL!.......'cause the FBI dudes could'n control/qualify with most 10's.......(Puzzies,LOL!....:): )

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Um-- READ THE SENTENCE CAREFULLY.

I will translate into English, since I'm fluent. It says:

..there's no 10mm load that's pushing a bullet at 1500fps that a .40SW would only push to 1050fps

See that whole "that a .40sw would only push to 1050fps" part? Yeah, that means that the same 125gr Barnes load is not only 1050fps in .40SW. Consider that Buffalo Bore loads that exact Barnes Bullet to 1300fps (from a G23!).

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=325

So you've proven my point exactly. The difference between 10mm and .40SW isn't 400 or 500fps. it is MUCH less than that.

And again, there's precious little evidence that the remaining couple hundred FPS really matters in terms of terminal ballistics. Especially when the bullets are optimized for the slower speed.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Um-- READ THE SENTENCE CAREFULLY.

I will translate into English, since I'm fluent. It says:

See that whole "that a .40sw would only push to 1050fps" part? Yeah, that means that the same 125gr Barnes load is not only 1050fps in .40SW. Consider that Buffalo Bore loads that exact Barnes Bullet to 1300fps (from a G23!).

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=325

So you've proven my point exactly. The difference between 10mm and .40SW isn't 400 or 500fps. it is MUCH less than that.

And again, there's precious little evidence that the remaining couple hundred FPS really matters in terms of terminal ballistics. Especially when the bullets are optimized for the slower speed.

:):.......Well I'll go along with all'at......:):

rec'n my point is/was........they's no off-the-shelf .40.......at's gonna run with'a full-house 10mm......:dunno: ......I've never seen a '.40+P' load......or me'be I ain't look'n on right shelves....:dunno: .....rec'n somebody that re-loads could load a +P......but then you git'n into 10mm pressures,ain'cha?.....:dunno:

Like I said .......the .40........came about by de-nutt'n the 10 mm.......I think.....

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    i was getting ready to buy a glock 29 this past week but had some untimely bad luck come about but this will be one of my next gun purchases. held one at the louisville gun show today and that was all i needed to confirm that i wanted one.

Top Bottom