• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don't mean to derail the thread, but do you mind explaining why it's not as drop safe? I was under the impression the trigger "safety" on a glock was to keep the trigger bar from moving rearward as both the trigger and bar on a glock move the same direction. In the 320 design, it isn't needed as the trigger bar moves forward when the trigger is moved to the rear. I do admit I could be wrong as I haven't researched this exhaustively (mostly due to lack of relevant info available on the topic).

To the OP, I own a 320 full size and enjoy shooting it. I don't see an advantage over my glock or m&p, or any other striker fired pistol. It shoots well and seems to be reliable so far. However, I am not a trigger snob, as I cut my teeth on mil spec ar triggers and Berettas in the army. It would be a solid choice and represents a good value, but I wouldn't discount other designs.

I don't know anything about the guts or the "why" of it. I am not qualified to explain why it is the case. I'm afraid I can't say much without betraying a confidence, but someone I trust who was in a position to know told me of the concern. I'm also aware of a real world oopsie, nothing I responded to personally but again from someone I trust and who had not made it public info. I like to cite sources and be able to say how I know what I know in these types of things, but in this case I can't ethically do that.

In short, waist high drop, no problem. Head high drop, can be a problem. Unless you're really short, I guess.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I used to have a P320. The polymer felt cheap and scratched easily, if that's important to you. It shot ok and was reliable. But other than that.....meh.
    I got rid of it and bought a Walther PPQ M2. Best striker fired pistol on the market, in my opinion.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Sig sale at Point Blank Friday thru Monday. No, I don't work there (anymore).

I love the P320. My only comment is make sure you like the trigger on YOUR P320. I found that they varied from gun to gun. Most were buttery smooth. But some had some jankiness to them.

Test it thoroughly.

As was already stated, the PPQ-M2 has a superb trigger.

I'm going to get a Sig this weekend too. Can't decide if I want a P229 Legion or a P225-A1 or a M11-A1.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Sig sale at Point Blank Friday thru Monday. No, I don't work there (anymore).

I love the P320. My only comment is make sure you like the trigger on YOUR P320. I found that they varied from gun to gun. Most were buttery smooth. But some had some jankiness to them.

Test it thoroughly.

As was already stated, the PPQ-M2 has a superb trigger.

I'm going to get a Sig this weekend too. Can't decide if I want a P229 Legion or a P225-A1 or a M11-A1.

Thats good to know. Is that in Carmel?

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I don't know anything about the guts or the "why" of it. I am not qualified to explain why it is the case. I'm afraid I can't say much without betraying a confidence, but someone I trust who was in a position to know told me of the concern. I'm also aware of a real world oopsie, nothing I responded to personally but again from someone I trust and who had not made it public info. I like to cite sources and be able to say how I know what I know in these types of things, but in this case I can't ethically do that.

In short, waist high drop, no problem. Head high drop, can be a problem. Unless you're really short, I guess.

Thanks for the info.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I've only fired one magazine through a friend's 320 and thought it was a cool but with a couple reservations. The first being that it had a fairly high bore axis, although this is not uncommon with Sig handguns. The second complaint I have is the grip feeling very generic; not as blocky as a Glock's grip but still could have been better. I would suggest you check out the Walther PPQ/CZ P-10c/HK VP9 as potential options.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Here's a negative about Sigs, at least for me; they tend to pinch the underside of my finger between the end of the trigger and the trigger guard. i've newer really experienced the same issue with any other guns.

What about the H&K VP9?

I've had a Glock 19 for the past 5 years or so. I've trained with it and shoot it fine at self defense distances. But when I shot the VP9 the clouds parted, the angels sang and the sound of steel rang loudly across the valley.

That gun felt like it was made for my hand and I shot it more naturally and accurately than any pistol I've ever picked up.

I will have one soon.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I agree with other comments, the P320 is a very nice gun, but test out as many others as possible before you make a decision. As well as the Walther PPQ and CZ P10, you might try the CZ P-07 and the Sig SP2022. The latter two are hammer fired instead of striker fired and feel a lot different (also both are DA/SA). Like I said, nothing wrong with the P320, but there are LOTS of good guns out there, make sure you've tried as many as you can.

I would also suggest trying out a CZ 75B or 75 Compact, or other similar guns. Since it's home defense, you can get a full sized gun like the 75B, or an SP-01. The SP-01 might be better since it has a rail and you can mount a light. IMO an all metal hammer fired gun is a lot more enjoyable to shoot than a polymer striker fired gun any day of the week. You can even look at the nicer model Sigs like a P226 or P229. Plenty of places sell them used at reasonable prices, or you can buy a CPO (certified pre-owned) or police trade Sig for a reasonable price. Don't even get me started on 1911's... :):

Point is, there are lots of guns on the market. Since you won't carry it, you have a lot more flexibility ;)

OP, have you shot an M&P? Compact and/or full-sized?

What about the H&K VP9?

MY opinion is that the M&P platform is better than the Sig. Just feels better in my hands. The Sig feels "tinny" upon dry-fire. I've not live-fired one.

I hate the way Sigs feel when dry fired, but they feel completely different when firing them live. I'm happy to meet with you sometime and let you shoot my P226 Legion SAO or my P229.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I hate the way Sigs feel when dry fired, but they feel completely different when firing them live. I'm happy to meet with you sometime and let you shoot my P226 Legion SAO or my P229.

Thanks for the offer! I'm always up to go shooting. :D

I have SOME trigger time behind a 229 in .357 Sig. Same with a 239. Both of those were traditional DA/SA variants.

All in all, I'm just personally not a fan of DA/SA guns. Or DAO guns, for that matter - but I've not had any REAL experience with the DAO versions of Sig and/or H&K. Sig 250 - yes. KelTec P11 - yes. Jframe - yes. But that's about it.

Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    Maybe I'm way off here so please correct me if I am wrong. But I'm shocked noone is recommending the Springfield xdm series. I am still in love with my springfield XDM-9 with over 3000 shots through it. have you given that a thought? It has a great capacity for multiple assailants. Also imo its grouping is great within a inch or two.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe I'm way off here so please correct me if I am wrong. But I'm shocked noone is recommending the Springfield xdm series. I am still in love with my springfield XDM-9 with over 3000 shots through it. have you given that a thought? It has a great capacity for multiple assailants. Also imo its grouping is great within a inch or two.

When I went shopping for a full size pistol, I rented a Glock, M&P and a XDm. Shot them all back to back. I really had my mind set on the M&P. But I shot the XDm so much better. The natural point of aim was perfect for me. I bought a used 5.25 9mm XDm. Several thousand rounds later, I still love it. Had to change the mag springs am I'm also going to change the recoil spring soon.

Shootas many as you can then make your choice.

Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    When I went shopping for a full size pistol, I rented a Glock, M&P and a XDm. Shot them all back to back. I really had my mind set on the M&P. But I shot the XDm so much better. The natural point of aim was perfect for me. I bought a used 5.25 9mm XDm. Several thousand rounds later, I still love it. Had to change the mag springs am I'm also going to change the recoil spring soon.

Shootas many as you can then make your choice.

I also had to change mag springs have not done recoil spring yet but I'm going to look into it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My winter edc is a Sig 250c shoots great 100% reliable it has a DAO trigger instead of the striker but very similar to the P320.

The Sig P320 is a great choice if it fits you hand.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I also had to change mag springs have not done recoil spring yet but I'm going to look into it.

You guys change the striker roll pin yet? I've done it twice. I did my recoil and striker springs this year, I have about 4-5k down the hole. Haven't touched the mag springs yet. They are on the list though.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I bought an P320 a few weeks ago. First trip out shot 300 rounds, been my constant companion since. The bore axis isn't an issue for me, I think the P320 is soft shooter and overall an exellent gun. I also own a M&P9 and owned a XD and SR9C. Although the M&P9 trigger is horrible and don't care much for the caution logo milled into the slide. I have owned XD, shot many many glocks, not a fan of either one for different reasons. I wan'ted something that was "g19 compact" size. So the Sig made sense. I almost bought a VP9 but I do not like the magazine release and watching that MAC youtube video for some reason kept popping up in the back of my mind, M&P9 sucked also. I'll probably buy the CZ P10C when it comes out. Also would like to shoot the Walther PPQ.

With all that said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the current striker fired offerings. We have VS battles for the fun of it but at the end of the day they will all serve you very well and last many years.

Cars0n

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Southport
    You guys aren't great at talking me out of it. :(

I still need to track down places to rent the PPQ and VP9. Doubt anywhere close is going to have a p10c to shoot anytime soon. At the very least, this has reassured me that if I grab a P320 before finding one of the others, I'll still be ok.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You guys aren't great at talking me out of it. :(

I still need to track down places to rent the PPQ and VP9. Doubt anywhere close is going to have a p10c to shoot anytime soon. At the very least, this has reassured me that if I grab a P320 before finding one of the others, I'll still be ok.

Well, considering the :(, don't buy one! Get a PPQ. Or a M&P. Or a Hi-Point! Anything but a P320!

There. How's that?:)

Top Bottom