• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I think your calculations are slightly off. If I recall correctly, the M1 has a weight rating right at 72 tons when combat ready. When it isn't loaded for war, it should come in right around 67 tons. Granted, it has been a few years but I don't think they have changed too much....

Sorry to not be exact in my weights :n00b:, I was just using round numbers to show that the 5 axle rig in the op was not legal if the tank weighed anything near what it normally should.

BTW: Depending on your source, the gross weight of an abrams is all over the place, depending on which model you are looking at. Here is the first link I clicked on, and it uses 57.16 tons as a gross wt.

M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank | Military-Today.com

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Sorry to not be exact in my weights :n00b:, I was just using round numbers to show that the 5 axle rig in the op was not legal if the tank weighed anything near what it normally should.

BTW: Depending on your source, the gross weight of an abrams is all over the place, depending on which model you are looking at. Here is the first link I clicked on, and it uses 57.16 tons as a gross wt.

M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank | Military-Today.com

I apologize if you thought I was being a jerk. I wasn't.

I am getting my info from the United States military Advanced Individual Training instructors. I graduated as a distinguished Honor Graduate from Ft. Knox Ky.. Granted, that was back in 1997 but I did graduate none the less.

As for the weight, I do see that it is missing it's side skirts and I am bettering the engine and transmission are missing as well as the hydraulic systems. If this is the case, I bet pennies to dollars that your calculations might be closer than most.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I am getting my info from the United States military Advanced Individual Training instructors. I graduated as a distinguished Honor Graduate from Ft. Knox Ky.. Granted, that was back in 1997 but I did graduate none the less.

Isn't Ft. Knox the Army's center for tank training? I would qualify that as "Subject Matter Expert" on this thread at least.

Last edited:

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I added the "ultimate" crowd / zombie control weapon to my existing preps. I was told my HiPoint carbine was not a zombie defense weapon of choice. So I got something with a little more stopping power.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Isn't Ft. Know the Army's center for tank training? I would qualify that as "Subject Matter Expert" on this thread at least.

I guess if one were to pronounce it with a french sissy accent, you could call it Ft. Know. However, yes, Ft. Knox is where (at least in 97) the Army and Marines both held their tank training. I was an M1A1 Tank Systems mechanic and worked as part of the crew on an M88 recovery vehicle (also known as the Hercules). While I don't consider myself an SME on the M1A1, I am quite versed in it's operation.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Approx 145pm

52B0EFFC-477C-4CF7-AEB2-58A93AECC706-33449-0000227A714D3A88.jpg

That's my tank I've been promised.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    A D-11R will weigh around 230,000lbs when operating. Tore down to move, the hulk comes in around 160,000lbs, 80 tons. That takes 13 axles. The truck in the pic, with a 35 ton detach like in the pic will come in about 40,000lbs empty. He can gross 80,000lbs legally but with a permit, he can go as high as 100,000lbs Still nowhere close to what he needs. And judging from the tires, he was not over weight. A 100,000lb excavator on a 7 axle truck is about all it wants, and the tires look low.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom