• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I have been dabbling with binary targets for awhile and am actually am going to start a company to sell them in Indiana. I have all the materials ordered and am waiting for my labels to come in but once I get production rolling I plan on advertising on ingo and having a special rate for members. Will keep posted of course

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I'm not sure about price but I second the H2 on being a lot better report than Tannerite. Got it on my to buy list for the 1500.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Not sure I understand all the fear of telling exactly how it's made.. If you type in tannerite on Google, one of the first things to pop up is a Wikipedia article that tells you the ingredients used to make it, all the way down to the percentages of each mixture used. Wouldn't it be just as easy for a terrorist to do the same? Or is that article missing something that I am unaware of?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have been dabbling with binary targets for awhile and am actually am going to start a company to sell them in Indiana. I have all the materials ordered and am waiting for my labels to come in but once I get production rolling I plan on advertising on ingo and having a special rate for members. Will keep posted of course
    You will need an FEL to do this legally... just saying since you never mentioned getting the license, just getting the stuff...

As for saying how to make it, it is a rule here I believe and see no reason to tell how it is made in any case.

Tannerite, or this sort of explosive isn't very powerful plus it is hard to set off in general so it doesn't lend itself well to terrorism anyway. ANFO explosives on the other hand are extremely powerful and not all that hard to set off and so we now have out fertilizer regulated. I find that ridiculous since all it takes to buy a few tons of AN is some land. AN was about $30 for a 50# bag, the linked site above charged 80 dollars for the stuff. I can do without exploding targets at this point. When AN was cheap and easy to buy I made plenty so I can say I've done it and it is over now.

Last edited:

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    As for saying how to make it, it is a rule here I believe and see no reason to tell how it is made in any case.

Tannerite, or this sort of explosive isn't very powerful plus it is hard to set off in general so it doesn't lend itself well to terrorism anyway. ANFO explosives on the other hand are extremely powerful and not all that hard to set off and so we now have out fertilizer regulated. I find that ridiculous since all it takes to buy a few tons of AN is some land. AN was about $30 for a 50# bag, the linked site above charged 80 dollars for the stuff. I can do without exploding targets at this point. When AN was cheap and easy to buy I made plenty so I can say I've done it and it is over now.

Thanks for clarifying. I kinda thought it may be a rule, which is partly why I didn't say either, plus I figured if anyone wanted to know that bad, they could Google it themselves. As for the terrorism aspect, I thought the same thing about Tannerite as well, and sort of misread your comment above before I commented. I read it too fast and didn't realize that comment was about ANFO explosive devices.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    If you want to make exploding binary targets cheap, buy ingredients separately and make it yourself. No FEL is needed as long as you use it as soon as you make it (no storage allowed) and don't use it in any business manner.

Here is the tannerite patent. Patent US20030033952 - Tannerite binary exploding targets - Google Patents
    You can find ingredients with simple google search.

:yesway:

Looks like link above is fixing to sell all the ingredients to roll your own. (lastmanstanding)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If you want to make exploding binary targets cheap, buy ingredients separately and make it yourself. No FEL is needed as long as you use it as soon as you make it (no storage allowed) and don't use it in any business manner.

Here is the tannerite patent. Patent US20030033952 - Tannerite binary exploding targets - Google Patents
    You can find ingredients with simple google search.
    Correct but the post I was referring to has a person who is going into business selling them. To sell them an FEL is required. You can't sell just the parts either, Tannerite does that as do all the other places selling these sorts of targets. To go into the business will require an FEL. Of course, rules change but rarely towards the less restrictive these days. I checked into doing this two years ago.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Tannerite, or this sort of explosive isn't very powerful plus it is hard to set off in general so it doesn't lend itself well to terrorism anyway. ANFO explosives on the other hand are extremely powerful and not all that hard to set off

You have this backwards, and seem to have a misconception here.

ANFO is MUCH harder to set off and is considered a blasting agent, not a High Explosive. ANFO requires a booster and is not cap-sensitive and has an unconfined detonation velocity of around 10kfps, only going a little higher under confinement to a steady state of about 13.8kfps steady state in a 12" bore. It has a hard time sustaining a detonation wave in smaller (<4" columns) bores. It has good heaving properties but not so much shattering (brisance) properties.

Tannerite and similar formulations, ARE cap-sensitive and have an unconfined detonation velocity in excess if 16kfps, as much as about 19kfps depending on the amount of aluminum and other sensitizers. They increase even more under confinement and can reach a steady state in as small as a 1" bore. It has much greater brisance. FWIW, there are more toxic byproducts from any of the AN-Al explosives than from ANFO, not that this is really relevant here.

Tom Terrific

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Marshall County
    I was at a shoot not long ago that used open coffee cans of gasoline. Fill the can half or two thirds full of gas, toss in a match, the top (fumes) is what burns. Then go back to the firing line and shoot the can. Gasoline sprays all over and the ignition is already there.

tcoats84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2013
    i just tried out .22 sensitive targets from usa chemical supply. this was my first experience with binary exploding targets. I was rather impressed. prices seemed better than competitors.

Top Bottom