Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    DON'T DO THIS!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_HRyAG2xqU[/ame]

It'd be helpful to let us know what you already know. IE, most Tannerite requires a high powered projectile to detonate, etc... What would you like tips on?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    love the stuff. a water bottle sized container will mess up a 55 gallon drum pretty good - using twine to hang it from something works pretty good. never had any issues with it going off using .223, not sure what the low end is on effective caliber.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I recently learned that Tannerite won't detonate sympathetically-- meaning you must mix up your entire load together and put it into one container. We tried wrapping 5 containers together and only the first one detonated.

I would also suggest starting small to get an idea of what the explosion looks/feels like, and then move up to bigger loads from there. You can have lots of fun filling up tennis balls or old 35mm film canisters.

Don't mix the parts until you are reading to shoot it. Store it and transport it unmixed.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My son and I shot some in Arizona a couple years ago. He used about a small pop bottle sized amount. We put rocks, stones, drift wood and any other junk we could find laying around over it. We shot from about 50 yds with an AR and it was a pretty good wallop.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    tannerite is awesome. we had a lot of fun with a junk car one time. We also learned that skoal cans are too small and dont do much. So keep it bigger than that.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The 1/2 pound containers are great for casual shooting and give a pretty good explosion, much like a black powder cannon going off. To detonate, it has to be homogeneous as Esrice said, or you will just make a mess.

Also has to be struck by a high powered rifle bullet. .22LR won't do it, nor will handguns, so don't waste your time with it.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    That kind of crap like the legal issue in the tannerite video above really confuses me.

So this guy uses his legally owned gun to detonate some legally purchased Tannerite, on his own property, and has to go before a judge. Why don't the police go after someone actually committing a crime?

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    That kind of crap like the legal issue in the tannerite video above really confuses me.

So this guy uses his legally owned gun to detonate some legally purchased Tannerite, on his own property, and has to go before a judge. Why don't the police go after someone actually committing a crime?

I think what the problem was that you can only have 50lbs(?) mixed at one time, that was 100lbs.

You can get some that will work off of 22. It a different brand.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I THINK Bradis sells the 1 pound containers. How many yards away should you be when you shoot it?

I'd advise at least 100yds, even for the 1/2lb stuff. No reason to be any closer really, and not worth catching a stray piece of dirt, rock, plastic, etc.

The containers pretty well disintegrate except for the bottom, which usually stays in the impact crater or other hard surface you set it off on.

If you put it on a sump, or other hard surface, you can place soda bottles, etc. on top of the can and launch them pretty high up in the air.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd advise at least 100yds, even for the 1/2lb stuff. No reason to be any closer really, and not worth catching a stray piece of dirt, rock, plastic, etc.

The containers pretty well disintegrate except for the bottom, which usually stays in the impact crater or other hard surface you set it off on.

If you put it on a sump, or other hard surface, you can place soda bottles, etc. on top of the can and launch them pretty high up in the air.

Crap. I guess I can't get any then. :(

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Right now my range is only a lil over 25 yards. My summer project is to make it 75 yards. But that's going to take some work.

I really had no idea on the distance for Tannerite.

I wouldn't chance it at 25, but wouldn't be afraid of it at 75 at all.

It is hard to compare the size of the explosion, but would be about like a cherrybomb going off to give you sense of size.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I wouldn't chance it at 25, but wouldn't be afraid of it at 75 at all.

It is hard to compare the size of the explosion, but would be about like a cherrybomb going off to give you sense of size.

Yea I've never seen a cherrybomb lit before. Not even Tannerite.

I've led a very sheltered life....

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    We sometimes shoot snuff containers filled with the stuff at 200-300 yards. They make perfect targets and really go boom when hit. They seem to be almost as loud as 1/2 lb containers. Good reactive long range target.

Top Bottom