• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I know the 17 will set it off. We put the small jars in pumkins and shot them from 50 yds they are fun to shoot and watch explode. We also detonated 10 lbs in a jeep cherokee with a birage of Ar, Ak, and a few other weapons from a 100 yds out. I think there were 15 people shooting at this jeep. It was after dark, we had a spotlight on it. There were tracer rounds going and it was just cool. When the tannerite went off it blew the drivers door about 15 yds in the air and it went flailing through the air. I think it flew 40 yds or so. The top peeled back pretty good to. It was sweet!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That kind of crap like the legal issue in the tannerite video above really confuses me.

the issue was the amount of it that he had at once... and the main reason it was a problem was because it set off an alarm at a nuclear power plant. The BATFE comes down kinda hard on the Explosives part.

for all they knew, this was someone's test run on how to best blow up the nuclear plant. who wants to bet Tannerite gets restricted more heavily soon?

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    Go to the tannerite web page . Dan does a pretty good job on the legal stuff. I helped him mix a 5 gal. bucket of the stuff up at the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot a few years back . You should have seen that one go off!:ar15:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Go to the tannerite web page . Dan does a pretty good job on the legal stuff. I helped him mix a 5 gal. bucket of the stuff up at the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot a few years back . You should have seen that one go off!:ar15:

that is huge! We put 8 pounds in a coffee can under a mazda and it lifted one side of the car about 2 feet off the ground and left an 18 inch deep crater in the ground.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A buddy mixed up 40#'s and placed it inside a junk pickup truck. When we shot it, the truck turned into a convertible, sending the bench seat flying in the air. Very impressive, and lots of fun.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have shot it a few times and its a lot of fun and one heck of an explosion. I will say that if you have any close neighbors or live just outside city limits, you may want to let someone know your shooting it. We shot about 5 lbs of it one evening just outside of Yorktown city limits and the cops were called. Nothing happened because it was totally legal but we still had to explain what it was. Just something to add so you dont have a buzz kill after you shoot it.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I've shot a 1/2 pound at 40 yards. We did get some cantalope fragments sprayed on us. :D

I wouldnt do more than a 1/2 pound at that range though.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    From what I have read...

Use 8" squares of tinfoil to mold a golf ball size. The foil makes it easier to hang/position/etc.

17hmr works, from what I've read.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Detonation requires a centerfire rifle cartridge. I set off 1lb cans at 40-50yrds, but wear eye protection. DO NOT mix it until you are ready to use it, once mixed, transport becomes a crime. The guy in MN was huge....it was the seismic alarms at the power plant that caused the issues....he beat all charges....more than can be said for his dump truck! I would compare a tannerite charge to a "flashbang" grenade that packs a punch. Pay close attention to the shock wave after you shoot it, this can be done easier when the trees have leaves. My wife can hear it over 3 miles away when I set it off....WAY fun, but try to have something to blow up planned ahead and be prepared for clean up!

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    just tried some over the holiday and was really surprised at how fun and cheap it was. 5lbs and you will feel the concussion and it will DESTROY a wood pile.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Its much cheaper to buy the stuff individually and mix it when your ready. AL flakes work well. 20oz plastic bottles work great for the containers. Makes home ranges a lot more fun. But like others have said, don't mix it till you are ready to use it. Binary compound and all that...100 yards is probably preferred for safety, but if you are just buying those premixed small cans, you will be fine at 30 yards. Done it many many times. Just wear ear/eye pro. (and don't put crap on top or around it to make additional shrapnel.)

Also, if you have neighbors and are planning a day of this, its always nice to throw them a line about it. That way no one is surprised and calling 911 for no reason.

Top Bottom