• ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Taurus revolvers?....and ........go!
    Ok, what I mean, is good stories, or bad stories...I've heard hit or miss, some great, some cr$p...what say you INGO?

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I've had a Taurus 44Mag 4" SS for 15+ yrs(bought it Used), run probably 1000+ rds thru it with No Problems. Basically @ S&W clone. Bbl is Ported to help with Muzzle Jump, but it's still a Handful (that's why I enjoy 3 wheel guns chambered in 44Mag).

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Only one I ever owned is a used Taurus 96 which looks like a Smith & Wesson Model 17 22 revolver. In fact when it was sitting in the case I thought it was an old Smith 17 at first. The accuracy is quite good , better than my Smith 617 4" 22lr. The trigger of course is not as good as a Smith , in SA for target shooting it is still not bad.

Attachments

• Taurus 96.jpg
      Taurus 96.jpg
      115.3 KB · Views: 8

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like Taurus revolvers.
    I also like Taurus semi-autos, but only the steel framed ones.

I have a Taurus 1911 and a PT99 that are both fine, serviceable firearms.
    Fit and finish are not as good as S&W, and the triggers aren't as polished, but they work, and are roughly half the price of a Smith &Wesson.

Taurus revolvers, in my opinion, are mostly good to go.
    Again, not as smooth and polished as the S&W, but serviceable nonetheless.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you can find the rossi versions i find them better. I know rossi was bought lock stock and barrel by Taurus. They rossi model 60 and model 66 copies were made on machines smith sold and rossi moved to Brazil. Smith did a model change and moved away from the line machines they were using.
    I have had a few interarms import rossi since long ago. I think I got the model 66 and model 60 copies for 300 for the pair. (Tells you how long I have had them.) I have shot them a ton and they are still fine handguns. I was made an offer for the model 60 copy I could not refuse and still have the model 66 stubbie copy. Last time I saw rossi at the nra convention they were at the Taurus booth. The handguns seemed to be the same ones I purchased in like 1986. Been a couple of NRA’s ago in Indy.
    my two cents

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Taurus offers a lot of variety in chamberings and barrel lengths, which I think is pretty cool, and their pricing is clearly attractive. The guns look nice as they are basically an S&W knockoff. Unfortunately, I've never bought one that works. I've owned 2 early on in my shooting career...a 605 snubby in .357 and a Model 44 in 44 Magnum. Both guns had timing and lockup issues...you'd pull the trigger and get a click, then rotate the cylinder and feel it lock into place. When you opened the cylinder, more often than not, you could see where the firing pin had dimpled the outer rim of the case head and missed the primer altogether.

That's bad enough in itself, but the scary thing is, sometimes it would hit off-center on the primer and actually fire, with the cylinder out of alignment with the forcing cone. That's scary stuff, especially when you're talking about magnum calibers! Both guns had the same issue. I got rid of the .44 because a friend really wanted it, even though he knew about it's issues. I sent the 605 back to Taurus (which was an absolute nightmare, btw...cost me $70, and then they shipped it back without any notification so I wasn't home to receive it and I ended up having to drive up to South Bend to pick it up from the FedEx depo) and it came back still doing the same thing. I sold it off with full disclosure at a loss, and was happy to be rid of it.

They have this obnoxious obsession with porting, too, which I absolutely hate. It does very little for recoil mitigation, but introduces all manner of blast, flash, and unburned powder directly up and into the face of the shooter. I have several snubby .357s and even a 2 3/4" 44 Magnum...the recoil doesn't bother me. But the blast from that ported Taurus .44 definitely did. The porting was a pain to clean, too.

I swore off ever owning another Taurus after those two debacles. Fool me once, shame on you, full me twice, shame on me, and all that. In the past year I've helped friends and family with a couple of other Taurus revolvers, both with timing issues. I can't prove it, but based off what I'm seeing they are using poor hardening technique on their extractor ratchets. Every problem gun I've come across (including the two that I owned) have issues with timing, and its always just one or two teeth on the extractor ratchet that seem to be the problem.

My recommendation is to spend a little more and buy a Ruger or a Smith. Both those companies make quality guns, and have an excellent warranty that you'll likely never need. I've got about 10-15 revolvers from those two that have been excellent, and many have seen very heavy use. The only one that has had to go back was the cheap Wrangler .22 that we bought for my son, and Ruger paid shipping both ways, communicated well, and were very easy to deal with. I'm 0 for 2 with Taurus, won't ever own another, and can't in good conscience recommend that anyone else do so either.

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    I have two...

A 66 4" ported was my first handgun purchase back in '94. It has been flawless as long as long as it is kept clean. I had a carbon/crud build up under the transfer bar that locked it up once but I can only blame that on myself and 'dirty' handloads. I don't notice the flash from the porting and can easily tell a difference in full power loads when compared to my 686. The DA pull is a little heavy but smooth and the SA pull is as good as my 686. I probably have a 1500 rounds through the Taurus.

I also have a new 85 that I had the springs replaced in. It runs fine with factory ammo and about 80% with hard primer handloads in DA. Single action has not been a problem and hits the hard primers with enough force to set them off fine. Before the spring swap the DA pull was rough and very heavy. It's the ulralight model and really disappears IWB and is pretty good for pocket carry as well with loose cut jeans.

I think the older revolvers are fine and the fit/finish/function on my 66 rivals my 686 though not my 15-4 from the mid 70's.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My Taurus Model 44 6.5" barrel has well over 4,000 rds through it. IIRC I bought it in 1991. The cylinder has gotten just a little loose, nothing major, and my gunsmith can fix it like new if I ever feel it needs it. I bought my mother a Taurus Model 85 in 1990. She still shoots and uses it without any problems. She doesn't have the rd count I have on the 44mag of course, but it goes bang every time you fire it, and she can hit a paper plate at 5 yards, which is pretty good.

20220219_142511.jpg
    20220219_143745.jpg

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I kinda want one of those lightweight 44mags. Not like I'd shoot it a ton, but just enough to make myself comfortable to pack with it.

There was one for sale here on the classifieds (November) and I really should have bought it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I kinda want one of those lightweight 44mags. Not like I'd shoot it a ton, but just enough to make myself comfortable to pack with it.

There was one for sale here on the classifieds (November) and I really should have bought it.
    I have a model 444
    I think that's what it is.
    A light weight .44 spl with a 2" barrel.
    It is incredibly comfortable to carry and not as bad to shoot as you might think.
    Being specials instead of magnums tames it down quite a bit.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have a 3” Taurus 38 (82) that I was gifted in 1986. It was WELL used but has a hammer mounted firing pin and looks identical to a S&W. It seems pretty solid and shot well.

My Brother bought a new Taurus 357 in 1995 I believe a 605 (6 shot ported barrel) it seemed built pretty good and shot well too.

But the new revolvers from them feel…well a lot less quality in the steel and construction. (To me anyway) This is just from handling them maybe if I shot one I’d feel different. Just have been a S&W guy with wheelguns since my USAF days

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up a used model 85 probably 17 years ago. I don't shoot it a ton, but it's a great little revolver. I wouldn't hesitate to trust it.

I have shot several of their newer offerings in various calibers and I have been overall pleased with their performance as well, but I do believe the older manufactured ones were better.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Bought a model 415 in 2002, basicly a five shot 41Mag with 2-1/2" ported barrel. Went to local gunsmith once and back to factory twice. Jim.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I picked up a used model 85 probably 17 years ago. I don't shoot it a ton, but it's a great little revolver. I wouldn't hesitate to trust it.
    I too like my 85, it's a great shooting revolver with some good weight. If I ever see another one at a LGS I'd pick it up in a heartbeat!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I have a Taurus 1911 and a PT99 that are both fine, serviceable firearms.
    Sorry to the OP about hijacking with this question...

Saw a nice PT99 stainless in box with 2 mags at LGS. It seemed very smooth. Care to share your opinions about yours as compared to a standard Beretta? I know they are a lot less expensive and the frame mounted safety allows for 1911-style cocked and locked carry but doubt I would carry it. Has yours been reliable? Would you hesitate to pickup a used one?

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Never had any problems with new or older Taurus revolvers, older ones did have a lot nicer fit and finish. Of course I can say the same about S&W and Colt on fit and finish.

Top Bottom