• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Yay or nay? Both. Internet forums share opinions and that is all. IMO the all metal classic Taurus revolvers are a pretty decent value. By that I mean the model 65, 66, 82 & 85 (from memory). I personally would not recommend any of the lightweight or polymer guns.

The 82 is the one I'm looking at. I really like the look of these revolvers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Taurus revolvers are good enough for most folks for most uses, but there are better guns for not much more money.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned a few Trackers in .17 HMR. They were OK pieces with 1 of them needing some attention out of the box. It was used and the original owner was not honest as to its condition (imagine that) but once it was made right it was a great piece. That one had several Coyote's on it as a buddy used it when deer hunting to cull the herd so to speak.
    If I was still invested in .17 I would own one.
    Absolutely no interest in any other Taurus offering.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In general I'd agree with BBI's assessment. With one caveat. The .44 raging bull in an 8 3/8" barrel may well be the perfect hunting revolver. Lord willing, I will have another.

Let's see, I have,

Model M327 2" barrel .327 snubbie stainless 6-shot
    Model M85 .38spl+P 2" barrel snubbie blued 5-shot
    Model 605 .357mag 2" barrel total titanium 5-shot
    Model 607 .357mag 4" ported barrel blued 7-shot
    Model 445 .44spl 2" ported barrel blued titanium 5-shot
    Judge .45Colt/.410bore 4" barrel Ultra-Lite 5-shot
    Raging Bull .454 Casull 8-3/8" ported barrel stainless 5-shot

Not the first issue with any of them.
    The model 85 is still new and unfired, which is unusual for me.
    I had no intention of buying another Taurus revolver, until Palmetto State hooked me with one of their 'Daily Deals".
    I got a model 85 AND a PSA stripped AR15 lower for $209, but there was a rebate available.
    Once the rebate comes in, I'll have just over $160 in the model 85 AND the stripped lower!

Yeah, guess I'd have to say "Yay"

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Taurus seems to have some decent prices on revolvers. I was specifically looking at the Model 82 .38 Special with the 4-inch barrel. It's got a classic look in a blued finish and I think it's an attractive handgun.

But are they any good? I've read reviews that go both ways on them.

Here's a link to the particular gun on cheaper than dirt: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...er-grips-blued-finish-2820041-725327200727.do

A lot of people beat on Taurus pretty hard, but I cannot. I only have three Taurus products now, but I have never had a bad one....yet. One of my nephews has a Taurus revolver in .357 Magnum, and his has been great for him.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I used to have a stainless model 66 (7-shot 357) with a 4" barrel and never had any issues, but I got rid of it and picked up a SP-101 with 3" barrel to carry on occasion. I'm not much of a revolver guy but wish I had kept the Taurus (and still added the Ruger). I've been thinking that everyone should have a 4" 357, so a S&W 686 is on the list for one day in the future.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Let's see, I have,

Model M327 2" barrel .327 snubbie stainless 6-shot
    Model M85 .38spl+P 2" barrel snubbie blued 5-shot
    Model 605 .357mag 2" barrel total titanium 5-shot
    Model 607 .357mag 4" ported barrel blued 7-shot
    Model 445 .44spl 2" ported barrel blued titanium 5-shot
    Judge .45Colt/.410bore 4" barrel Ultra-Lite 5-shot
    Raging Bull .454 Casull 8-3/8" ported barrel stainless 5-shot

Not the first issue with any of them.
    The model 85 is still new and unfired, which is unusual for me.
    I had no intention of buying another Taurus revolver, until Palmetto State hooked me with one of their 'Daily Deals".
    I got a model 85 AND a PSA stripped AR15 lower for $209, but there was a rebate available.
    Once the rebate comes in, I'll have just over $160 in the model 85 AND the stripped lower!

Yeah, guess I'd have to say "Yay"

Dang mgderf! I'll take that as a super-sized "yay" :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Love my ported, 4", Taurus .44mag.

Especially fun for nighttime chootin.;)

Had a titanium .357mag I won in a raffle. It was nice. Not nice enough for me to add another round to inventory, but if I had been into .357s, it would have been a keeper.

DaveM44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Southern
    My admittedly little experience with Taurus is that, if you get one of the good batches it'll serve you well. I wouldn't want the experience of needing to send it in for repairs though, that seems to be rough. I have always tossed the idea of a .44 Tracker around though, I've just been afraid to pull the trigger so to speak. It has one of the few stock revolver grips I actually like.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had 2 Model 85's, an older 85CH that was awesome, and a stainless 85 that was good, but the quality was not near as good as the older one. I would not hesitate to buy another revolver from Taurus.
    A good friend of mine has 2 Taurus revolvers, a Raging Bull in .44 and a 6" .357 that have both been awesome for him.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Leave it to BBI to provide the correct answer. Used Model 10 or 15 S&W would be the way to go.

Yup. I said 10 because the linked Taurus in the OP was fixed rear.

I've owned 2 Taurus revolvers. One locked up when the crane bent. The other worked until I traded it toward an LCR. Besides the better trigger, the real nice thing about a pre-lock 10 or 15 is they aren't losing value. Take care of it and it's easy to get your money back out. A new Taurus that's now a used Taurus loses money.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yup. I said 10 because the linked Taurus in the OP was fixed rear.

I've owned 2 Taurus revolvers. One locked up when the crane bent. The other worked until I traded it toward an LCR. Besides the better trigger, the real nice thing about a pre-lock 10 or 15 is they aren't losing value. Take care of it and it's easy to get your money back out. A new Taurus that's now a used Taurus loses money.

I mentioned the model 15 because I have seen some security company trade ins running around. The triggers on these old guns are quite nice.

Top Bottom