Teaching a minor - Ask parental permission?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Another thread got me thinking about teaching others to shoot.

If you were going to shoot with your son, for example, would you teach one of his friends/relatives to shoot without having asked permission of their parent?

Let's assume this is done in the back 40, at a safe range, there are no age issues, proper safety is taught and the shooter is 100% supervized etc. Everything is done correctly.

I can see how an anti parent, or any parent for that matter, could get upset by this by either feeling they want to do the teaching, want to be present, or that it is too dangerous and they don't want their kids around guns at all.

I can also see the arguments by people who will say that it is just a tool and that operating it in a safe manner must be taught. No different than teaching someone to chop/saw wood etc. They didn't see a need to call a parent to ask permission just to do some shootin out back.

I feel like permission could be asked...out of courtesy for some reason. But I can't quite put my finger on why I feel that way.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    anytime you are going to involve my child in a dangerous activity I want to know about it before hand.

these could include but are not limited too:
    1) shooting guns (training or not)
    2) transporting them somewhere without consent or knowledge
    3) chopping wood
    4) operating large power tools
    5) preparation and or use of fire or explosive devices.
    6) lion hunting

anytime you do something with someone's children seek permission regardless of what it is.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    anytime you are going to involve my child in a dangerous activity I want to know about it before hand.

these could include but are not limited too:
    1) shooting guns (training or not)
    2) transporting them somewhere without consent or knowledge
    3) chopping wood
    4) operating large power tools
    5) preparation and or use of fire or explosive devices.
    6) lion hunting

anytime you do something with someone's children seek permission regardless of what it is.
    Good answer. I was thinking more of a kid whose parents didn't teach him because they weren't gun owners themselves(I should have put that in the OP)...but yes, anything dangerous should be discussed first.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've taught lots minors in lots of classes. If parent or guardian is there, fine. If parent or guardian is not staying for the class, then they must provide written permission for me to teach their minor child to shoot a firearm. I don't know if there is statute that requires written permission, but I do.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I am going to do ANYTHING with a minor, I ALWAYS talk with the parent FIRST.

I've gone shooting with friends/family and their kids, and ALWAYS double checked with the parent when their kid asked to shoot. Ideally before we leave ("Hey, we are going to the range. Would Tommy like to shoot?").

Heck, I've sent the neighbor kids back to check with their parents when they've asked to hang out with me. In the garage, in the yard, cleaning guns, whatever.

Why? Their parents are 100% responsible for them. If they want ME to take over some responsibility, even for a short while, they need to tell me. No way will I assume responsibility for someone's child without their knowledge or consent (emergencies not withstanding). I expect the same from anyone who interacts with my daughter. Protects them, protects the kid, and protects me.

:twocents: (or about 1.2 cents after taxes. I'm a 53%-er).

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Yes, Definately ask. Who knows, you may get some good questions from the parent and even get a chance to introduce them to our wonderful sport!
    It's happened to me before.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    And, them not being gun owners, they may actually be anti's, and if you go "behind their backs" on it, they could go all nonlinear on you.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I would be OK if someone let my kids shoot assuming they were doing it safely. I personally would ask the parents of the kids if there was any doubt in my mind that they would care.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot alot, and my son (7) has grown up around it and firearms. He shoots alot as well and has been taught safe and correct handling of firearms. I am always right beside him watching his every move when firearms are involved. I would be extremely angry if I were to find out my son was shooting or around others who were shooting without my permission! Especially if it were a parent of a friend who I've never shot with. I know how I want my son exposed and trained on firearms, and I don't really trust too many others with firearms PERIOD, let alone with my son involved. My point is, I'm a "gun guy", and my son is a "gun Kid", and I don't want this happening. I can't imagine a non gun parent being non chalant about it. If it's not my kid I ask permission. If it is my kid YOU better ask permission.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I believe in the "dangerous sports so ask permission" thing...but also, if they're truly anti....I wouldn't feel bad about simply introducing the child to it to form his OWN unbiased opinion....doesn't mean he has to shoot, but it could be an otherwise good educational/opinion forming experience for what could be a sheltered kid...

you know the type that likes to hide the real world from their children and say there is nothing bad and grow up blindly believing everything their parents say word for word, regardless of facts

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    I would want parental permission as well. That being said, I remember going to scout camp as a kid and learning to shoot a .22, and I wonder if my parents had to sign a special permission slip for that?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The scouts are really good on permissions, yeah. I had to go through a bit of a ruckus with summer camp for my son because I hadn't put the year in the date on one form. Like I could be sending one in from a previous year or something. Print, sign, scan, email, confirm. Yeah, it didn't really take long, but all the Ts crossed and Is dotted.

If it was important enough to some crazed anti parents, I wouldn't even let their kid see a firearm without their permission. I mean, I don't respect their opinion, but I have to respect their right to have it, and to screw their kids' minds up as they see fit. Not presuming they're anti's, just, you never know, and there are roving gangs of lawyers trolling for an opportunity.

Top Bottom