Teaching a minor - Ask parental permission?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    The scouts are really good on permissions, yeah. I had to go through a bit of a ruckus with summer camp for my son because I hadn't put the year in the date on one form. Like I could be sending one in from a previous year or something. Print, sign, scan, email, confirm. Yeah, it didn't really take long, but all the Ts crossed and Is dotted.

If it was important enough to some crazed anti parents, I wouldn't even let their kid see a firearm without their permission. I mean, I don't respect their opinion, but I have to respect their right to have it, and to screw their kids' minds up as they see fit. Not presuming they're anti's, just, you never know, and there are roving gangs of lawyers trolling for an opportunity.
    Yeah, but I wonder if that was the case back then, too (mid 1980s).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Can't comment on the good ol' days, as good ol' as the 80's may have been. I'm still in shock as a parent of the 90's/00's. I'm just glad I'm about done with it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would ask the parent first.

That shows respect to the parent and shows the minor that its cool to be respectful (you'll be cool to the minor because you're teaching them to shoot and that is instant cool).

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have carried firearms in the performance of my job. I have hunted since I was 8. I am VERY sticky when it comes to the proper use and carry of firearms. If you read some of the postings here and watch the news you see that not everyone is so concerned with firearm safety. I don't need my child coming back with "but so and so does it like this". I have taught my children firearm safety. If I were to find out that someone took it upon themselves to do this with my child they got some splainin to do. Not saying I wouldn't let my child shoot with someone else. Sayin it isn't gonna happen until I know what their habits are and if it's safe for them to do that or not. It's not their responsibility to teach my child, it's mine. And since I'm going to live up to my resposibility, they should stay out of it.:twocents:

Top Bottom