• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Affluenza-brat turned 19 in April (I think it was April). That moved him from the juvenile court system to the adult court. The downside of this is that apparently that forecloses administering any penalties for his violation of probation while a juvenile by drinking at parties and running off to Mexico.

The upside is that Texas law provides that juveniles that have committed certain types of crimes, when they transition to the adult court a judge reviews the case and may place them in jail for up to 180 days. Welcome to the adult world! Just a little motivator for why you want to stay on the straight and narrow when you get out on probation.

In afflluenza-brat's case, the judge awarded him the full 180 days - once for each death he caused - to be served consecutively. That's 720 days total, or nearly two years. This was back in April, and the judge at that time said it wasn't set in stone, would give his lawyers time to convince him otherwise.

So far it appears they haven't convinced the judge otherwise, cuz latest story says affluenza-brat has been moved from maximum (solitary) confinement to a single cell to serve his two years. Still 23 hours per day in the cell, but now the gets access to a TV and a day room. Moving up in the world.

'Affluenza' teen Ethan Couch moved from maximum security | Fox News

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Affluenza-brat turned 19 in April (I think it was April). That moved him from the juvenile court system to the adult court. The downside of this is that apparently that forecloses administering any penalties for his violation of probation while a juvenile by drinking at parties and running off to Mexico.

The upside is that Texas law provides that juveniles that have committed certain types of crimes, when they transition to the adult court a judge reviews the case and may place them in jail for up to 180 days. Welcome to the adult world! Just a little motivator for why you want to stay on the straight and narrow when you get out on probation.

In afflluenza-brat's case, the judge awarded him the full 180 days - once for each death he caused - to be served consecutively. That's 720 days total, or nearly two years. This was back in April, and the judge at that time said it wasn't set in stone, would give his lawyers time to convince him otherwise.

So far it appears they haven't convinced the judge otherwise, cuz latest story says affluenza-brat has been moved from maximum (solitary) confinement to a single cell to serve his two years. Still 23 hours per day in the cell, but now the gets access to a TV and a day room. Moving up in the world.

'Affluenza' teen Ethan Couch moved from maximum security | Fox News

Still well short of what he deserves IMHO.....:(

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I get the hindering, but money laundering?

I am guessing that transferring money to him out of country tripped over the drug-justified money laundering laws that really don't have anything to do with what she did, but fits the definition under the law as written--a form of unintended consequences (or perhaps unadvertised intended consequence that no one admitted when shoving the law through congress).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Under Texas state law, the crime of money laundering mostly covers using illegally gained funds, but also includes when someone "finances or invests or intends to finance or invest funds that the person believes are intended to further the commission of criminal activity."

Mom withdrew $30K the help her son run away from the law. Sounds like the charge is spot-on.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    April Fool! Mr. affluenza gets out of jail tomorrow. He’s apparently finished his prison time and will be on probation until 2024.

He has to wear a GPS tracker, he’s on curfew from 9 PM to 8 AM, There’s some kind of camera-equipped Alcohol sensing interlock system on his car, and he has to wear a patch that will reveal if he’s taken drugs or alcohol.

Judge sets terms for Ethan Couch's release - Story | KDFW

His mother is still awaiting trial.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Annnnnnnnnd once again:

'Affluenza' teen's mom back in jail after bond revoked

Article says judge 'revoked bond' so I guess she hasn't been to trial yet.

ETA: Apparently Junior is doing better than mom: ‘Affluenza Teen’ Ethan Couch Has Ankle Monitor Removed

Can't we just kill these people legally? I mean if it's okay to kill a baby that hasn't done anything wrong yet, surely it should be okay to get rid of these wastes of oxygen that clearly have no intent to be rehabilitated and show no remorse for their actions.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Can't we just kill these people legally? I mean if it's okay to kill a baby that hasn't done anything wrong yet, surely it should be okay to get rid of these wastes of oxygen that clearly have no intent to be rehabilitated and show no remorse for their actions.

:yesway:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Maybe if you make the argument in terms of reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/e...d-from-jail-one-day-after-his-arrest/2286027/

Ethan Couch was arrested on 02 Jan 20 for probation violation after testing positive for THC. He was released the next day because the test result was week and may be the result of CBD oil (legal) rather than marijuana (not legal). it appeared that he was goinb to be tested further, but I can find no further information about what came of that.

Top Bottom