Teens and the 'odd' habits they develop...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    3 kids, and my girls were so much easier than my son. Not saying they were easy, just easier.

1 more year before I boot the boy out and to the curb, I'll be glad to have my house back

I have 4 girls. People often ask me if I wish I had a son. I tell them no, because karma would dictate that he would have been as big an arsehole as a teenager as I was, and I don't think I would have survived the heart attack he gave me. :):

But really, I was just happy that my kids were born healthy regardless of their gender. 10 fingers and 12 toes, just like their dad. ;)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Adjusting my thermostat then opening the windows because they got too hot :xmad:.

Getting 3-4 pumps of foaming hand soap then putting their hands right under the water to rinse.

Putting things like crackers or cereal away and not closing them up.

Eat all the snacks within 24-48 hours of going grocery shopping.

Walking into the bathroom after they showered to see their clothes and towel on the floor.

Love them but glad they have their own place now. In fact I think I’m going to go to their house and eat all their snacks.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yep, this coming from a dad of a 14 yr old girl.

*To clarify your post from earlier (lol, yes calling you out)...three of the four are boys. I mostly gave up on cleaning their bathroom when the youngest was little and we bathed them in groups to speed up bed time...the youngest boy handed me a 'gift' he floated in the bathtub. The tub quickly emptied of screaming children after they laughed at me and what was in my hand - so I pointed out what was in the water they were sitting in.

Girls are significantly less mess but WAY more drama. The boys shed like animals! The sports fanatic is growing a garden of empty Gatorade bottles with mandatory cleaning days (because the smell is too much to enter the room for). The oldest boys are mostly functional as long as the OCD father does NOT enter their personal vehicles [you've been warned]. Fun Fact: What the friends of a teenage boy will draw on the windows of a car can be absolutely hilarious when you're not lecturing them about the inappropriate drawings on their car windows.

Another fun fact, both of my sons are Infantry Marines, I ship a large flat rate box of snacks and other necessity's about once every three weeks to each of them.
    There can be some great snacks but the 4 pack of black sharpies will always be the most popular gift in the box. Some things never change....

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    :laugh: Its funny listening to folks that didn't have the luxury of having a Master Chief Petty Officer as a Dad.
    Thanks Master Chief for preparing all of us for the world.

My biological dad got killed in DaNang back in'72. My step dad was an all Navy welterweight golden gloves boxer. He was a Ceebee electricians mate. My mom...well she had 7 older brothers who were ROK marines during the Korean War. My dad was introduced to baby sister as they liked the old man enough to arrange a home visit. They got married after the Korean Conflict. Vietnam was starting up and my dad's mission as an interrogator was paramount to winning the Indo China violation. He was MIA considered KIA. His tortured bloated body turned up in a DaNang hospital. Thrown out of a Jeepnee as they went to far and his heart gave up. Poor bastage. I learned real quick not to open your yap and be observant.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My biological dad got killed in DaNang back in'72. My step dad was an all Navy welterweight golden gloves boxer. He was a Ceebee electricians mate. My mom...well she had 7 older brothers who were ROK marines during the Korean War. My dad was introduced to baby sister as they liked the old man enough to arrange a home visit. They got married after the Korean Conflict. Vietnam was starting up and my dad's mission as an interrogator was paramount to winning the Indo China violation. He was MIA considered KIA. His tortured bloated body turned up in a DaNang hospital. Thrown out of a Jeepnee as they went to far and his heart gave up. Poor bastage. I learned real quick not to open your yap and be observant.

What an interesting story sir!

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I'm sorry you lost your dad as a kid, it was difficult enough losing mine at 60. My father was a UDT Frogman, nothing more. He ran his life as hard as a concrete floor and when Parkinsons hit him, he went out as hard as he ran his life. He was 82, a few years ago when he told me to get my ass back to Florida and get this hospice train on the tracks.
    Right before he went under the first morphine drops, I was showing him a few pics of his youngest grandson on facebook that other parents had taken of the young men as recruits at Depot Parris Island a few days before, he shook his head and said, another ****ing Marine......

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Man, this sure doesn’t beat these last few stories, but OP, I remember when my son came back home after the first year in college, it was like there were two men living in the house and while the house is big, there was in no way shape or form room enough for two men in it.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Man, this sure doesn’t beat these last few stories, but OP, I remember when my son came back home after the first year in college, it was like there were two men living in the house and while the house is big, there was in no way shape or form room enough for two men in it.

LOL.... When I got divorced Master Chief told me I could move back home until the house was sold and I bought another home for myself. I asked him if he forgot the day I moved out as a young man? As he was thinking I said Thanks Master Chief.... But no Thanks. :patriot:

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    I have 4 girls. People often ask me if I wish I had a son. I tell them no, because karma would dictate that he would have been as big an arsehole as a teenager as I was, and I don't think I would have survived the heart attack he gave me. :):

But really, I was just happy that my kids were born healthy regardless of their gender. 10 fingers and 12 toes, just like their dad. ;)
    I'm surprised karma didn't get you via your girls' dating choices as teens lol

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sitting here enjoying my 10-year-old.

Mom and I have a deal. She is my problem until puberty. Her problem after that.

My daughter is a few months beyond 9 years old. She desperately wanted to get herself a training bra...

Wife and I said no... But my wife compromised with little bralettes. I didn't even know what bralettes were. Anyhow - I am totally not prepared for what will be happening in a few years' time.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My daughter is a few months beyond 9 years old. She desperately wanted to get herself a training bra...

Wife and I said no... But my wife compromised with little bralettes. I didn't even know what bralettes were. Anyhow - I am totally not prepared for what will be happening in a few years' time.

No way to prepare for it, I was not prepared for the first boy to pull In the driveway and get out of his truck.:facepalm:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    No way to prepare for it, I was not prepared for the first boy to pull In the driveway and get out of his truck.:facepalm:

If my daughter ends up anything like her mother ... boys won't be much of an issue until beyond HS / college. That may be a blessing and a curse.

But, I'm gonna raise her to be a rough and tough / take no **** young woman so that she's confident and strong on her own and hopefully doesn't fall into the common trap of "I'm not anyone if I don't have a boyfriend". We'll see

Boy child, however... Gotta raise that little heart breaker up to also be rough and tough / take no **** young man - but also kind, sensitive, and caring.

Gah.

I did NOT envision this how my day going. *sigh*

Anyone else day-drink to pull out of existential crises?

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    My son is one month past his 16th birthday which means I recognize nearly all the grievances up thread. Of all the things that baffle me on a daily basis, the various smells that linger throughout the house and cars are most confusing. :dunno:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Things I don't miss:

1) loss of keys
    2) odd noises at odd times. Sort of a water buffalo crossed with a goat bleat type of sound. Used in many cases in lieu of English.
    3) loud bass thumps from an enclosed vehicle whilst anywhere in the vicinity of my ears.
    4) did I mention lost keys?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was never a problem, myself, mostly helpful, but not to the extent of making my bed. This became relevant. I was always surprising them with signs of maturity. I did bewilder them sometimes, mostly with technology. I was a pretty big hacker and phreak as a teenager, but mostly white hat. One time my mom was in my room while I was home for a summer at university, to make my bed. She didn't find booze, pr0n, or drugs, she found an AR15. That kind of took them aback.

My son was one of the ones like that as well. He was mostly into video games, but learned a lot of history, and he became a master tactician and strategist. He was a crap student, though, so he went straight to adulting. The good part there was he moved to Texas, now he can't get his hands on my .45ACP and curse all my internal combustion engines.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

Raised 3 daughters. This one is easy, they will always want to shake your hand. Imagine you are standing barefoot in a fresh steaming pile of dog s^^t, as you look at his hand and turn away.

I loved the one where one daughter was standing on top of a $200 school jacket on the floor, that we had just bought telling me she needed some new clothes.

Don

Top Bottom