• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The boys will get older.....Wiser...The ramifications of their lack of actions will haunt them the rest of their lives.....Their friends know who they are and word will get out as to who they are....Girls will not want to be around them...Family will not want to be around them...Nightmares will haunt their nights...Twenty years from now thousands of their dollars will be monthly spent on therapy......

I sincerely wish I could agree with you but I don't. I believe you are applying rational standards and thought processes to people who are incapable of such thinking. I think they are more likely to be thought of as "bad-ass" by some, if not most, of their peers. This conduct is the tip of the iceberg. Some of them will mock and curse another victim as they kill him/her.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I sincerely wish I could agree with you but I don't. I believe you are applying rational standards and thought processes to people who are incapable of such thinking. I think they are more likely to be thought of as "bad-ass" by some, if not most, of their peers. This conduct is the tip of the iceberg. Some of them will mock and curse another victim as they kill him/her.
    Don't take offense here, but I truly hope you are wrong in your post.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    They won't be cured and chances are slim they will be acquiring a conscience until the fires of the pit scorch their souls.
    I wish them a peace and understanding they can change with.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    One of the articles describes this situation, "After the body was retrieved, detectives noted that one of the teens stared ahead during the questioning. Next to him, his mother broke down in tears, distraught at the situation he was involved in, Martinez said."

So at least his mother is a decent human being who is humiliated at what her son did / didn't do. I'll guess that she never looks at him the same again and he will see that on her face from now until the day she dies.

The very least they should have done was call for help. I only pray that if I am ever in any situation similar to this that I have the courage to do everything possible to save someone else, otherwise every time I see myself in the mirror I'll cringe.

Of course, I also pray that I don't wind up on the news as a foolish idiot that died trying to do something I couldn't, but rather that than nothing.

Regards,

Doug

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Over here, France (and other European countries) you are required by law to render help to someone in danger (up to 5 years in jail).
    If you don't know how to swim you are not required to jump into the water but not calling for help would be a crime.

In the US you are only required by law to rescue your spouse apparently.

And in some states you are required to call 911 if you notice someone in danger.

I understand where you are coming from, but let's be clear... more laws won't fix this, and are not the answer.

The boys will get older.....Wiser...The ramifications of their lack of actions will haunt them the rest of their lives.....Their friends know who they are and word will get out as to who they are....Girls will not want to be around them...Family will not want to be around them...Nightmares will haunt their nights...Twenty years from now thousands of their dollars will be monthly spent on therapy......

And then one day up in Kingdom they will stand at the Throne for Judgment...And will cringe, shake, beg, and cry when God hits the play button on the video....

I feel sick...My daughter is autistic and this just hurts....When she is not around or at school I rely on the kindness of strangers if she ever finds herself in such a situation....This sort of ruins that for me.....

Agreed, even having kids that don't have any special needs, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. It's difficult to tell your kids that the only people who they can really trust to have their back are in the room with them having this discussion. That was the exact speech I gave my son who is about to head off to college as we watched the news about the Penn State hazing incident that occurred earlier this year.

On another note, publishing each of the teens' names, and other information would be great, since they aren't charged with anything, it would just be a matter of reporting what was already posted to social media and including names for people that are probably already tagged in the post, etc. Shouldn't be a problem... Then whatever happens to them happens.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I understand where you are coming from, but let's be clear... more laws won't fix this, and are not the answer.

I was just saying that it's a thing in some countries.Not that it needs to be a law everywhere.
    I'm not sure how often people are charged with not rendering aid to a person in danger anyway since the law says you have a duty to help only if you don't put yourself in danger.
    In most situations you have to put yourself in danger in order to help someone (person drawing, person in a burning car, person attacked in the street etc).

That's a moral issue, not a legal issue.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This demonstrates the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath.
    A sociopath, would simply shrug and walk away, indifferent to this poor man's suffering and pending death.
    A psychopath would record it, then giggle while fully able to at least call for help.
    While not technically illegal, it shouldn't be too difficult to use the posting account to determine exactly who recorded this as someone totally untrustworthy.
    These two examples of human debris won't be able to hold down a job sweeping floors in abandoned buildings.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was just saying that it's a thing in some countries.Not that it needs to be a law everywhere.
    I'm not sure how often people are charged with not rendering aid to a person in danger anyway since the law says you have a duty to help only if you don't put yourself in danger.
    In most situations you have to put yourself in danger in order to help someone (person drawing, person in a burning car, person attacked in the street etc).

That's a moral issue, not a legal issue.

Legal and moral collide on this one. You'll never legislate compassion, human spirit, and kindness.
    The only thing legislation can do is sterilize all emotion and compassion.
    You'll not act with your heart but act fearing repercussions of the law only.

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Those kids were stoned! I think that accounts for a lot of the behavior (I hope).

Had you been in good enough shape to make it out to the drowning person I assure you they would have drown you as soon as you made contact, sucks to say but true.

Yeah, looks like an untrained person would have had a hard time rescuing the guy. My step son and I saved a guy on the 7th at Lake Jocassee, SC. First thing that went through my mind when I went after him was "this guy might drown me". But, he wasn't in panic mode yet and maybe only 10 feet from where you could stand up. I think as a team they could have helped the guy if they weren't to messed up.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Is it just me? I thought this was going to be some white girls videoing and was surprised when it was some black boys. I'm not sure why I assumed it would be white girls but still I was surprised. I wonder if any of them knew how to swim? If not I can't blame them for not going in. And alligators Florida and all. Also surprising there calmness when they realized he was not coming back up. "Pass me the blunt" or what ever. Also that they never did call the police ever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it just me? I thought this was going to be some white girls videoing and was surprised when it was some black boys. I'm not sure why I assumed it would be white girls but still I was surprised. I wonder if any of them knew how to swim? If not I can't blame them for not going in. And alligators Florida and all. Also surprising there calmness when they realized he was not coming back up. "Pass me the blunt" or what ever. Also that they never did call the police ever.

Think on this a bit and the answers to your questions will come.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The problem with the kids was not that it was too dangerous to try a rescue, or even try to call. It was that they didn't give a rat's @$$, and apparently found it amusing to watch the guy drown. Stoned or not, these clowns are bad news.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The problem with the kids was not that it was too dangerous to try a rescue, or even try to call. It was that they didn't give a rat's @$$, and apparently found it amusing to watch the guy drown. Stoned or not, these clowns are bad news.

Exactly. Even if all it had taken is reaching a hand out, they would not have done it. Somewhere along the way, it has become OK to have complete and utter disregard for human life.

Top Bottom