• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They should be buried out back, but legally (I'm no lawyer) I can't see a law.they broke but there are so many laws no one can keep track of until the government wants you bad enough and then they magicly apear.
    I don't care About these scum bags one bit but what I do care about is the government making cases against civilians for not responding to others in danger. If hope.most of us would help a fellow human in need or call for help if possible but I never want to see government force us to do it. Never

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So now I'm reading that they may face charges after all. Turns out it's against the law to not report a death. Misdemeanor.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think what they need is an expensive public service PR campaign to remind everyone that anytime you see some one drowning, just call 911.

Maybe with a catching jingle.

Wolf1661

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would hate to see a law requiring us to do whatever, but I think we as a society should do what we can to render aid an assistance. We used to do that. Now everyone has a phone out and are recording whatever is going on. Same with watching the live streams.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I would hate to see a law requiring us to do whatever, but I think we as a society should do what we can to render aid an assistance. We used to do that. Now everyone has a phone out and are recording whatever is going on. Same with watching the live streams.

Sometimes that video, recorded by the person who didn't help, can have an over-all positive effect much bigger than if the person had helped the person instead of recording the video.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This demonstrates the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath.
    A sociopath, would simply shrug and walk away, indifferent to this poor man's suffering and pending death.
    A psychopath would record it, then giggle while fully able to at least call for help.
    While not technically illegal, it shouldn't be too difficult to use the posting account to determine exactly who recorded this as someone totally untrustworthy.
    These two examples of human debris won't be able to hold down a job sweeping floors in abandoned buildings.

I seriously doubt that a career path was on these pieces of pig excrements minds!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sometimes that video, recorded by the person who didn't help, can have an over-all positive effect much bigger than if the person had helped the person instead of recording the video.

For society as a whole? It sure didn't do a lot for the special needs person that drowned while they stood by watched and filmed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was just saying that it's a thing in some countries.Not that it needs to be a law everywhere.
    I'm not sure how often people are charged with not rendering aid to a person in danger anyway since the law says you have a duty to help only if you don't put yourself in danger.
    In most situations you have to put yourself in danger in order to help someone (person drawing, person in a burning car, person attacked in the street etc).

That's a moral issue, not a legal issue.

Agreed.

The problem with the kids was not that it was too dangerous to try a rescue, or even try to call. It was that they didn't give a rat's @$$, and apparently found it amusing to watch the guy drown. Stoned or not, these clowns are bad news.

Also agreed. For some reason I could not get the video to show up, only the audio so I did not see where exactly he was, but I'm probably not jumping into the water in that situation either, but I most certainly would have called for help, etc.

... but I never want to see government force us to do it. Never
    Agreed, and that was my point earlier in the thread. Govt is not the answer.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They should be buried out back, but legally (I'm no lawyer) I can't see a law.they broke but there are so many laws no one can keep track of until the government wants you bad enough and then they magicly apear.
    I don't care About these scum bags one bit but what I do care about is the government making cases against civilians for not responding to others in danger. If hope.most of us would help a fellow human in need or call for help if possible but I never want to see government force us to do it. Never

It's a crime in Florida if you see someone in danger and don't contact law enforcement.They can be charged with that.

In almost all states you have a legal duty to rescue if it's your spouse or kids that are in danger.
    Not that it should take a law to force parents rescue their kids. :rolleyes:

In California you have a duty to rescue anyone on your property, including trespassers.
    I guess it means a burglar can sue you if he hurts himself while kicking your door and you don't call an ambulance for him ... but that's California so no surprise there.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Since the kids are minors this will not follow them most likely , sealed juvenile records and whatnot with their names not being published. They should have called 911 but personally after going through lifeguard training I would never rescue someone I did not know from drowning it is just too dangerous of a situation unfortunately

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Whether or not they should have/could have rescued him is not even the point. They thought it was funny that someone was dying. I still can't wrap my head around that.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    You know bringing that up about the lifeguard training. I forgot about that. My step dad about 30 years ago saved someone from drowning down at saint paul here in Indiana. Lucky for him my step father was a certified lifeguard. But the person he saved later on sued him. Because he claimed he hurt his back even though he used the correct technique to bring him to the shore. My step dad was lucky the judge was on his side. Basically said your suing him even though he's saved your life? The man later replying but my back hurts and the judge replied back but your alive. My step dad got off Scott free but it just goes to show even saving somebody life there is the possibility of you getting a lawsuit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But it makes him look good and that is important while the media still cares about the story, we all know the prosecutor will drop the charges once no one is looking.

You, sir, are 100% correct. Not every jag action is a crime, nor should it be.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Since the kids are minors this will not follow them most likely , sealed juvenile records and whatnot with their names not being published. They should have called 911 but personally after going through lifeguard training I would never rescue someone I did not know from drowning it is just too dangerous of a situation unfortunately

Wow.

i also went through lifeguard training. I'll give it a shot. Yes you have to be careful, but yeesh.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dese...alls-accidental-plunge-over-Niagara-Falls.amp

two guys went into niagara river just above the falls to save a girl they did not know.

Top Bottom