• ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I had the M99, M95 and 82A1. all are gone

1st, ammo prices aren't what they were 10 years ago, let alone 15 years ago. so feeding an 82/107 comes with a hefty price tag.

2nd, don't ever use the words precision, accurate or sniper when talking about an 82/107. Even the older ones with Krieger barrels were far from accurate. 2 MOA from a rifle isn't precision. And if you know the 82/107 platform its anti material with very few incidents as anti personnel so pinpoint balls on isn't required. The 82/107 shines when FAST follow up shots are required to take down a critical targets, NOT punching holes in paper trying to group a .5 MOA clover

3rd, the M99 and M90/95 are Barrett's attempt at a precision rifle. Notice how I said attempt. While they are better than the 82/107 they too have their limitations and quirks. The build quality is on par with price point which for me was the main reason to get rid of them

4th, MATCH ammo. Unless your loading yourself to get the greatest accuracy your going to go bankrupt buying enough good ammo to get proficient on the .50 platform. Ball ammo and the like is fun but you wont be happy with the groups, especially if your shooting it out of the 82/107

5th, distance. Unless your shooting at 800+ yards this is the same as having your local little league play the Yankees. If you cant stretch it out its a waste, a .50 at a 100 yard range is just someone saying look, I got a .50 Very few .50 owners get time beyond 800. That in my opinion is like giving a woman a Porsche GT3, what a waste.

6th, variants. If .50 is what your after you have options. If the name Barrett is what you want then there you go. You can get into the .50 game for around $2k, rifle only, but if you cant shoot it what does that say about you? Same goes for .338, that can be a money pit too.

Hers an old INGO thread for you to read up with

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/97983-barrett-m82a1-3.html

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I makes me curious for the OP, how do you invest $13k in a gun and be ready to sell it after 9 shots?
    Darren

The guy owns a log cabin which needs some serious maintenance/repairs and needs money. That's why he's selling the gun. As for why he hasn't shot it much..............I don't know.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've shot about 30 rounds through my brother-in-law's Barrett, and would describe the recoil as like a big guy, say a linebacker, pushing you hard on the shoulder. It isn't like a punch, and it doesn't smack you. It shoves you with authority. A 12 guage with 3.5" high brass loads is more like a punch or a mule kick. The Barrett isn't as bad as that. The fun is when someone wearing shorts is standing 5 to 10 yards, 45 degrees offset behind a prone shooter. The muzzle brake blasts hot gas and dirt/sand all over their lower legs. That gets their attention, for sure!

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    They are fun guns. The Fifty Caliber Shooting Association has a separate competition for the semi-autos. You're looking at going into the sport VERY deeply with this. Give this much thought before doing. I shoot mine on my farm, and have enjoyed it for 16 years. Give deep thought to all expenses of this.
    I'm NOT trying to discourage you, but know the expenses of ownership ahead of time.
    JMHO.
    MIKE.

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Cant find anything on barrett quality here. Does anyone know what to stay away from, or what to look for when buying a barrett

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I looked at the Barrett rifles last year as my son (47 yo) really wanted a 50. We looked only at Single shot due to the cost. I ended up after (several weeks of serious investigation) purchasing an Armalite. With a Vortex scope (reconditioned) recommended by Allan, the total cost was just a little over $4K. We had looked at the Lapau .338 but ammo is outrageous. The Armalite according to ALL reviews is accurate to .7 - .8 MOA, and the Muzzle Brake is actually more effective than any (including Barret) other 50 BMG. My son is ex military so did have experience shooting the 50.

We haven't had an opportunity to shoot the rifle yet as he purchase a rural home and has been very busy renovating the property, while working full time. He does intend to build a backstop / range so will be able to shoot it at home when finished, althought at a very short range for that caliber. We intend to visit some long range clubs when time permits, as they are 80 to 100 mile away.

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    I've been thiking about getting one . I would like to see what your son has to say about yours. Tell him he needs to get that backstop done before the house.haha

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    We bought an Armalite about 15 - 17 years ago. We shoot it all the time, either at our place or at Bass & Bucks in Walbash and occasionally Elwood. When we bought ammo we loaded up on new LC at under a buck a round, along with thousands of bullets of various configurations.

Two of the guys we shoot with load 338 Lapua, when components are bought in bulk I believe they can load 250 -300 grain SMK ammo for 1.25 to 1.55 a round.

Top Bottom