• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    People wear footwear as little as possible. No, I'm not in the Navy. Although the Thai Navy has an aircraft carrier, they have no airplanes on it. The biggest Navy ships I have seen are old PBR's and SWIFT boats. I'm a government officer at a university.

How'd you get that gig? Sounds like a cool experience!

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    How'd you get that gig? Sounds like a cool experience!

On my second trip to Asia in 2011 I traveled Thailand for a month researching environmentally and culturally sustainable local economic development with ISU. I was offered a job at one of ISU's partner institutions during the trip. This last fall I accepted the job and moved to Bangkok. It isn't a bad job. I work on research that will be published internationally at the university and help to cultivate relationships with foreign institutions for the school. I work in the international affairs department of the university.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    OP you are holding out on us.
    Show us the pics of the hot thailand girls!
    :postpics:

What hot girls?

6782508958_d510be72b6.jpg

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I would love to go to Thailand. But everyone would assume you were there for the perverts.

I'm the same age as the "backpacker" crowd, so I don't look bad here. I would feel slightly odd as a middle-aged white guy coming here by himself. I know that whenever I see a fifty year old fat white guy (not that your fat), I make assumptions as to why they are here.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    What's the gun laws like their? Can't imagine they let the average Thai legally own one.

The gun laws aren't too bad compared to much of Europe. Apparently you need to get the police to sign a permission slip before you can purchase a pistol or rifle. Shotguns are supposedly easy to get. Thailand definatly has a gun culture. It seems like everyone has guns. Whenever I mention to someone I like guns, they instantly tell me what they have. I've had everyone from taxi drivers to professors tell me about their firearms. With police permission you can even carry a gun. Some foreigners who are long term expats legally carry guns.

One thing that I find quite odd about guns here is what the police carry. Apparently they are given some type of financial assistance to buy their own guns. There is no uniformity as to what caliber or type of gun they carry. Each and every officer buys their own guns. I'd say about 30% carry revolvers, 20% S&W M&P's, 20% Beretta (a variety of models), 20% Ruger, and 10% 1911's.

Chinatown in Bangkok is full of gun stores. There are supposed to be around 40 within a few square miles. I keep meaning to go take some pics of the Thai gun shops and post them up.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    :popcorn:. This is interesting. My daughter has spent time in Saipan and has visited several other countries for short stints. She was in Saipan for a year. I imagine it is somewhat different than most other countries in that part of the world. She really thought she was in paradise.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Update: A day in the life of jdmack79

Even the ordinary could be interesting to some people, so here is an overview of my day:

I left my apartment and walked through the "Thai" (read: poor) area that I live near.

I kept walking for around 1/2 mile until I reached the Chao Phraya River. I caught a river taxi to head South towards town. The river taxis run for around 16 hours per day. The fare is 15 bhat, or 50 cents. I chose to ride on an express boat that didn't stop at ever pier. As the taxi approaches the pier an attendant jumps off of the boat and directs the captain with his whistle to a gentle docking.

On the boat you try to find a seat if one is available. During rush hours the taxis are quite crowded and you must stand. An attendant comes by rattling a change container, collects the fare, and gives you a ticket. The ride itself is fast and enjoyable. (as long as the filthy river water doesn't splash on you)

I decided to go visit a few Buddhist temples today. I went to Wat Pho, or "The Temple of the Reclining Buddha," first. It is known as the location where Thai massage was created. Wat Pho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia After paying my "foreigner" entrance fee, which according to the sign is higher than the fee Thai people pay, I entered. The temple was enjoyable. I walked around and took in the sights.

Outside the temple I stumbled across a Thai marching band.

I left Wat Pho and took a ferry across the river to Wat Arun, or "The Temple of Dawn." Wat Arun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is nearly 400 years old, and is in my opinion one of the most beautiful places in Bangkok. I wondered around the temple for a while. I gathered my nerve to climb the steep stairs in the 100 degree heat, and was rewarded with a tremendously beautiful view of the old city. After I climbed down I bought some bread that the monks were selling in order to raise money for the temple. I used the bread, like many others, and feed the massive catfish in the river. The buddhists consider fishing by the temple to be wrong, so the fish there are huge.

It was getting dark and the boat traffic on the river was quieting down, so I decided to head back towards my apartment.

I got off the boat at the pier near my place after sunset and was in awe as I looked over the river. I can't say why, but I frequently just stand and stare at the absolute beauty of this nation. The boats were moving with their usual rhythmic drone, old men were fishing in the river, and the city was bustling around me.

I could just be crossing the river on my morning commute or grabbing a bite to eat when reality strikes me, I'm in Thailand and I love it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for the update and the info on gun ownership. I was kind of surprised. I kick myself for not traveling when I was younger (and before I had a kid).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No thank you on the croc. I'd rather eat almost anything else.

Oh man where is your spirit for adventurous eating? For me one of the only reasons I would want to go to Asia is to eat.

I lived in Florida for a few years while I was in college and made friends with som local kids. We would have cook outs on the weekends somtimes only it wasn't burgers and brats on the grill. It was catfish and Gator!
    It was really good. I dont imagine Croc would taste to much different than Gator.

Top Bottom