That didn't last long. ABC Cancels Roseanne after tweet about Obama aid.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Being crude and hateful toward an individual is a lesser offense than being crude and hateful toward an entire group, so the social punishment is less (particularly if you can justify the victim "deserving" it).

Are you suggesting Barr's remarks were against a group? If so, what group? The only group mentioned was the muslim brotherhood, otherwise, I see it as a jab against one person - Valerie J.

The media may be spinning it towards a group, but the reference was not even close.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What the feck, guys.

Sometimes I think there should be a permalink at the top of INGO to fecking dictionary.com!

The word derives from the old English, with influences from Latin, where "fekus" was a colloquial term for "fig."* Figs were considered an indicia of wealth. So, someone who had a wealthy role would be considered "fekanus." Someone who was less wealthy would be considered "feklus" that loosely translates to "small figs." From there, it was Anglicized to "feckless" meaning a lack of figs, that is, someone who had been reckless with their fig-keeping and squandered their wealth.

So, "feckless" evolved to mean someone irresponsible or irrational. There is no "positive" version of feck, or fecking, or feckitosity.

* Absolutely nothing in that paragraph is true.

Aeroflame

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Brookville
    I knew the right shouldn't be embracing her too much, she was always a little bit on the loony side.
    As a black man, i sent Roseanne a tweet accepting her apology. I think many in the white community were more upset about it than we were. However to put this in the right historical context: WWI white soldiers told French women that black soldiers were monkeys and had tails. This is just one example. Therefore in the black community if you make reference to any comparison to any primate, you may as well use the “N” word. I think she was just ignorant of that fact so all is forgiven.Sometimes people say inappropiate things out of not knowing any better. Sorry she lost her show and sorry for all those others out of work now.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    What the feck, guys.

Sometimes I think there should be a permalink at the top of INGO to fecking dictionary.com!

The word derives from the old English, with influences from Latin, where "fekus" was a colloquial term for "fig."* Figs were considered an indicia of wealth. So, someone who had a wealthy role would be considered "fekanus." Someone who was less wealthy would be considered "feklus" that loosely translates to "small figs." From there, it was Anglicized to "feckless" meaning a lack of figs, that is, someone who had been reckless with their fig-keeping and squandered their wealth.

So, "feckless" evolved to mean someone irresponsible or irrational. There is no "positive" version of feck, or fecking, or feckitosity.

* Absolutely nothing in that paragraph is true.

I'll thank you to leave the size of my figs out of it. Good day, sir.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are you suggesting Barr's remarks were against a group? If so, what group? The only group mentioned was the muslim brotherhood, otherwise, I see it as a jab against one person - Valerie J.

The media may be spinning it towards a group, but the reference was not even close.

I think I've laid out why referring to a black person as a monkey is going to be perceived as racial due to the long history of the slur and reason behind it. You can argue intent if you like, but the perception is well rooted.

Top Bottom