• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can see some value to that. Whatever works for you. All the systems I've seen in this thread require habit or routine. All it takes is for us to forget one time to do our routine or a temporary change in that routine is required for whatever reason ...and a safe might go left unlocked.

Yup. And as we get older/busier etc sometimes things fall through the cracks. I was near sick when I saw my safe unlocked.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Two things mentioned in this thread that I have to comment on.
    1. Good habits are GOOD! Make a habit of doing task the same way, the best way, each and every time.
    2. Multi-tasking is HALF A$$ING!. Do one thing at a time, the correct way. Multi-tasking means that you are doing each action with only partial attention to what you are attempting to do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. Good habits are GOOD! Make a habit of doing task the same way, the best way, each and every time.
    2. Multi-tasking is HALF A$$ING!. Do one thing at a time, the correct way. Multi-tasking means that you are doing each action with only partial attention to what you are attempting to do.

+10 rep inbound.

Problem is I have always been a good multi-tasker. Of late not so much. Building new habit structures is hard.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My routine is to always put the dial back to Zero. It accomplishes two things (1) a reminder to lock it and (2) feeds my nature to be stupidly compulsive about neat and orderly.

Yes - I still have left it unlock by accident....

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

You could never, ever work as a medic where multi-tasking becomes an art form...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

If I didn't multi-task, I would save tons of money not following Gunbroker and INGO all the time....

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a nice safe I am no longer needing. Got married, had two kids, moved, and went back to school. Guns got sold. Safe is empty and needs a new home.

I know the feeling though. I still panic and then realize its empty.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Most houses have a refrigerator magnet just the right size for this. Place it on the crack in the top corner opposite the hinges. A little trial and error will show you a place where opening the door causes the magnet to fall off. Now the hard part. Train yourself to look for the magnet, or to replace it when closing the door. Took my teenager forever to learn this, but if they can then you can too.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Mine is also a key to unlock the dial so you can turn to da magic numbers and is in a closet. The door usually opens to half way on its own and stays their. I havent left it unlocked (yet) and left the house in the 20 years i have had it, but the open door and open closet and key in dial lock and spin dial to reset to zero seem to be just enough things to do that i aint on autopilot.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I could level mine, as some have suggested, so that the door doesn't swing shut but when I put it in place, I anchored it to the floor joists and the wall studs.
    It's not like the doors slams shut from the full open position. It will just find it's way closed if left open several inches.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    How about mounting a light that is on when the door is open? Use something like this, battery and led of your choice. Double sided tape to mount it to the top corner. Lights on, door is ajar.
    AMPIRE-Magnetic-Switch-NC-black-8600_b_0.JPG

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    How about mounting a light that is on when the door is open? Use something like this, battery and led of your choice. Double sided tape to mount it to the top corner. Lights on, door is ajar.
    AMPIRE-Magnetic-Switch-NC-black-8600_b_0.JPG

That would work great, unless the door swung shut. Then, I am back to square one.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I have been distracted and had this happen before as well. I have the safe to keep my kids out of my guns, not so much for theft. I taught them when they walk up to it to turn the dial so that it locks. They don’t know that it locks, it’s just their habit, so that if I don’t forget, the first thing they will do is lock it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    A stick about afoot long.
    A hole drilled in about the 7 inch point.
    A short cord through the hole.
    Fasten, Tape, the other end to the midpoint of the door.
    When you open the door.
    The stick drops in and sticks up.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I did the opposite of a fridge leveling. My safe has a very-slight forward angle with a few springs on the side of its shelf that presses on the door, so the door naturally swings wide open when unlocked. Also installed an auto light, again taking inspiration from a fridge, for convenience, but the two combined make for a good "Hey, safes open still" combo. The glowing light is noticeable as soon as the lights go out as the switch is right next to the safe.

Now that I think of it a fridge would make for a great design blueprint for a gun safe. Imagine a Gunsafe with French doors and a pull out bottom ammo drawer, all auto lit, clear see trough containers inside the doors, movable Glass shelving, and on the outside a dispenser for CLP.

Side note, im now hungry and will proceed to the fridge and make a sammich

RMG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    West Side
    I did the opposite of a fridge leveling. My safe has a very-slight forward angle with a spring, so the door naturally swings open when unlocked. Also installed an auto light, again taking inspiration from a fridge, for convenience, but the two combined make for a good "Hey, safes open still" combo. The glowing light is noticeable as soon as the lights go out as the switch is right next to the safe.

Now that I think of it a fridge would make for a great design blueprint for a gun safe. Imagine a Gunsafe with French doors and a pull out bottom ammo drawer, all auto lit, clear see trough containers inside the doors, movable Glass shelving, and on the outside a dispenser for CLP.

Side note, im now hungry and will proceed to the fridge and make a sammich

I am first in line for your side-by-side gun safe, bottom drawer ammo safe! Great idea, hahaha!

Top Bottom