• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    TP is a septic systems worst enemy. Especially the "bunny wads". We burn ours daily, usually in the morning.
    Tree roots are the worst enemy, TP is number 2.

See what I did there?

If I could not throw my (and everyone else’s) tp into the septic I would get a new septic that worked correctly. This is America, and I am not acting like I live in a 3rd world country. I know it’s real money and you gotta do what you gotta do but I prioritized an upgrade.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I've got a tile coming off the outlet side of tank. Straight 4 feet. Then it gets mated to a black corrugated pipe. Then I lose it 6 feet down the line. Back to digging tomorrow.
    cr9F4IA.jpg

uiIxZ33.jpg

VpXSNGp.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Well, you've got the best probe money can buy. Now all you need is a diesel shovel. Or find someone near you that can shove a locator rod through the pipe and locate it without digging.

There's enough roots in the pic of the plastic tile to be of concern, and a clue. If the tank is plugged (or at least overfilled) but there is no flow through those pipes you've uncovered you have isolated a problem so no need to dig on downhill just yet. If it was backed up (downhill from pic) it would be flowing out the hole you poked in it with the probe. A garden hose can help shed light on the problem area as well.

You can uncover a seam in the clay tile (every foot) and stick a wire in it, kind of like a dipstick, to see what is going on in that section if needed.

If you're losing the pipe due to it getting deeper rapidly, my guess is, again, the problem is uphill not downhill.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Well so, again, I'm not even 100% sure I have an issue. I just want to be prepared for when I do....

I was informed that my tank should always have a level 6-8 inches from the top... Is that true? If I recall last time I pumped the drains got slower and slower.... I do believe I have an issue down the line cause I should get more than 2 years out of a pump, no? Only 2 people and only 3 drains run to that septic

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Well so, again, I'm not even 100% sure I have an issue. I just want to be prepared for when I do....

I was informed that my tank should always have a level 6-8 inches from the top... Is that true? If I recall last time I pumped the drains got slower and slower.... I do believe I have an issue down the line cause I should get more than 2 years out of a pump, no? Only 2 people and only 3 drains run to that septic
    Your tank should be level up to the discharge hole, which should be near the top, but it may be hard to say 6-8" vs 4" or 10". So nearly full, all the time. It's an anaerobic system where the bacteria, without air, "eat" the solids on the bottom, and liquid flows out the top. All the time, a little at a time, liquid (gray water) flows out, into the "finger system". Quotes around that because if you have a proper septic field the grey water disperses out the pipe, through the stone, into the soil around in the immediate area, and a perimeter drain (generally required in any humid environment clay soil) removes the filtered (by the soil) grey water as clean water into a ditch. If you don't have a proper finger system the grey water goes directly to the ditch, through that outlet at the top of the tank, until someone doesn't pump their tank often enough and the solids build up so much that it's actually solids, not liquids, at the top of the tank, trying to travel down the 4" tile to the creek. So if you find solids in the pipe, this is whats happened. Sometimes, in some locales, there are cost share monies available to make the upgrade to a field which is well worth pursuing.
    All that being said, if you do pop the top off the tank and there is a thin solid crust don't be alarmed, this is a normal byproduct of the anaerobic action in the tank. But there should be water below this, and then solids at the bottom.

You should be able to run water out of your house and see flow through the pipes you have uncovered, 1 to 1 ratio. Think of the tank as a holding tank, but it never goes down, it will always be full, thats how it does its job. Do the math on how much water you use, and you will realize that the tank is a small fraction of (probably) monthly use. I'm just hitting on this because you seem to be very concerned about pumping and the tank being full. If you are saying you only get two years out of a pump because you know for sure that the tank was full of solids, then you have an anaerobic bacteria problem (my guess).

If you run that water and everything looks ok, the only other thing I would think to explore is if you have problems during a peak flow event, like spring thaw or a large rain, where the tile your hooked to (or even possibly your field) is backing up into your tank, or at least slowing it down.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

So this is all exploratory poopsmithing?

If you're actually worried about it, rent a backhoe, dig it all up from the house to the distribution junction for the drain bed in an afternoon, rip out all the roots you can find back as far as is reasonable, and replace any plumbing you find that is damaged. Fill it back in with some rock or sand over the pipes so it can wiggle if it wants, then shovel the dirt back on it.

If you're not really worried about it, then put the shovel down and poop in peace. The end result of this to not be a massive PITA still results in a backhoe at some point unless you really, really, hate yourself. Digging holes in the yard with a shovel like you're trying to remember where you hid the loot, as temps start getting into the mid-90s, sounds like something the warden would make you do to teach you a lesson.

I'm going to start calling you Cool Hand CTC. :laugh:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    So glad someone finally explained it to me... 1:1 ratio makes perfect sense and now...

I do unfortunately recall the last time I had it pumped the toilet was draining slow, so that's why I worry about a drain issue from the tank

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    So glad someone finally explained it to me... 1:1 ratio makes perfect sense and now...

I do unfortunately recall the last time I had it pumped the toilet was draining slow, so that's why I worry about a drain issue from the tank
    Don’t know why a pump out would slow anything down, unless there was a vent issue or some kind of airlock thing going on.

I bet you were so excited to get the tank pumped you took an extra big poo and that’s what slowed it down.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    So this is all exploratory poopsmithing?

If you're actually worried about it, rent a backhoe, dig it all up from the house to the distribution junction for the drain bed in an afternoon, rip out all the roots you can find back as far as is reasonable, and replace any plumbing you find that is damaged. Fill it back in with some rock or sand over the pipes so it can wiggle if it wants, then shovel the dirt back on it.

If you're not really worried about it, then put the shovel down and poop in peace. The end result of this to not be a massive PITA still results in a backhoe at some point unless you really, really, hate yourself. Digging holes in the yard with a shovel like you're trying to remember where you hid the loot, as temps start getting into the mid-90s, sounds like something the warden would make you do to teach you a lesson.

I'm going to start calling you Cool Hand CTC. :laugh:
    I remember being young once. That learning curve between trying to earn some sweat equity (I said ‘sweat’ get your mind out of the gutter) and learning if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Don’t know why a pump out would slow anything down, unless there was a vent issue or some kind of airlock thing going on.

I bet you were so excited to get the tank pumped you took an extra big poo and that’s what slowed it down.

Not Gunna lie, I left the lid off, and right after the flush I ran outside to see it all in motion....

It was kinda of like watching a birth and it's not what you wanted to really see

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    If the copper sulfate killed the grass it for sure killed the bacteria inside the tank. Until you restore that you are going to have problems.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Anyone have any trusted septic professionals in south Indy/North Greenwood area they could recommend to perform an inspection on a system for a house i have an offer in on?

House is being sold 'AS-IS' and I really want to make sure the septic and all major systems are up to snuff (or at least operational and not in need of being replaced soon) before my inspection period is up in 10 days.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Bumping this up but for now the septic is fine.

I have a seprate grey water for the laundry and kitchen sink. She is not going down. I've ran a 50nft snake through it and I ran out, so a 100 footer is on the way.

Can I still use a grey water setup legally? Any grandfathering?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Bumping this up but for now the septic is fine.

I have a seprate grey water for the laundry and kitchen sink. She is not going down. I've ran a 50nft snake through it and I ran out, so a 100 footer is on the way.

Can I still use a grey water setup legally? Any grandfathering?
    Probably depends on jurisdiction, as to grey water legalities.

Typical grey water setups are because the old timers (I’m not making a judgement call here) thought that sink and laundry killed the activity in a healthy septic, so they would route it around, but it would be tied into the finger system, downstream of the tank. Most of those finger systems I encounter are one very long line to the creek. The only reason I mention this is that if the grey water outlets in what the tank also outlets into, and it is in fact plugged, the tank might be or could soon be plugged.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I was informed that my tank should always have a level 6-8 inches from the top... Is that true?
    Yes, the tank has to have enough liquid to flow out of the tank exit, down the fingers out to your field.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I've got the main. It's 3 inch that goes into a soft corrugated section. Will uncover the mesh point and pull the corrugated section off and look both ways.

I ran into alot of in organic rock up to 120 feet from the house.

Top Bottom