• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I am interested in this as well.

Peoples "Standards" for AKs are so low, how do you measure "best"?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Probably the best AK imported into the land of shall not be infringed was the now banned Poly Tech Legend, the closest to a true AK Type 3 in semi-auto you could buy.

It can be argued that Hungarian or Chinese were the better imports, but with the ban on them, it is really hard to tell what they would be like today with our higher quality standards.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    For the ones that have been imported here: China, Russia, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Poland, Hungry, Romania, Egypt in about that order. Russia knows how to build an AK, China makes so very nice ones that arguably are better depending on the type. Bulgaria can equal or surpass Russia depending on issues.

Overall very hard to say, there are pros and cons of all of them and each country has their own tweaks. Then when you throw in the import like Century having to monkey with them it can skew the results somewhat.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Get a Saiga and convert it for cheaper than what an Arsenal or Poly would cost you. That way you can still have a Russian rifle made in the same plant that the Russian Ak's used to be

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Picture134.jpg

Poly tech but mine is not a legend.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hmm... not knowing squat about AK's I would have assumed the Chinese ones would have been at the bottom of the list but it seems like a few people have them at the top. What makes them so good? :n00b:

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Seems they would have been able to fix that during the production run over decades and several countries.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Why are they so notoriously poor for accuracy?

Most Soviet conscripts never had access to a sight tool and this was kept with the armorer. Ive read that the armorer bore sights or "Gets it close" and its considered good. And then.....theres the internet. Americans care about accuracy a helluva lot more than most countries. My guess anyways.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Most Soviet conscripts never had access to a sight tool and this was kept with the armorer. Ive read that the armorer bore sights or "Gets it close" and its considered good. And then.....theres the internet. Americans care about accuracy a helluva lot more than most countries. My guess anyways.

You're probably right. Most video's I've seen of AK's in use, they are just pointing i the general direction and pulling the trigger. Seems a terrible waste of ammo.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    The whole misconception on bad Chinese AKs is what allows lucky bastards to find usually great MAK90s with crappy stocks to be picked up for $300 or less and resold for $700-800.

Seems they would have been able to fix that during the production run over decades and several countries.

Valmets and Galils did exactly that. However, the standard AK sights may not be the best for accuracy but they are plenty effective for combat on moving targets. I normally paint my fronts blaze orange and "Fullerize" my rear sights by widening the notch to about 0.80" and rounding the corners.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    The whole misconception on bad Chinese AKs is what allows lucky bastards to find usually great MAK90s with crappy stocks to be picked up for $300 or less and resold for $700-800.

Valmets and Galils did exactly that. However, the standard AK sights may not be the best for accuracy but they are plenty effective for combat on moving targets. I normally paint my fronts blaze orange and "Fullerize" my rear sights by widening the notch to about 0.80" and rounding the corners.

Don't get me wrong, I love the AK's. They are immediate attention getters due to their reputation as the bad guy's assault rifle. But , for the type of shooting I do, I'd prefer something more accurate. There's GOTTA be aftermarket stuff out there, somewhere, right?

How can I become a "lucky bastard?":dunno:

Top Bottom