• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Don't get me wrong, I love the AK's. They are immediate attention getters due to their reputation as the bad guy's assault rifle. But , for the type of shooting I do, I'd prefer something more accurate. There's GOTTA be aftermarket stuff out there, somewhere, right?

How can I become a "lucky bastard?":dunno:

If you must put a peep on an AK, go for a TWS dogleg top cover. Tech Sights are available as well but it doesn't add a rail. Also you are going to feed it good, more pricy ammo to get maximum accuracy.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Maybe this isn't the forum for all my questions, but, are their aftermarket barrels that would be more accurate? I always feed my rifles the same ammo once I get it sighted in so there is consistency from weekend shoot to weekend shoot. Never did care to buy the cheap, 40 year old military surplus stuff.

Changing barrels on AKs is a pain. Full-auto of Military Arms Channel is working on a project rifle that has an aftermarket barrel shroud that increases rigidity and heat dissipation.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Don't tell my Norinco 84S-1 it is not accurate. There was a day at the range a while back when I was witnessed poking holes in 12GA shotgun hulls. This was confirmed by another INGO member who after watching in disbelief, picked up the Norinco and verified you can shoot holes in shotgun hulls... at 50 yards.

Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder, literally but the short sight radius, hard to see rear sight slot and large front sight pin make it really tough to be accurate, but it is possible to get amazing results with an AK if you practice with it.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Don't tell my Norinco 84S-1 it is not accurate. There was a day at the range a while back when I was witnessed poking holes in 12GA shotgun hulls. This was confirmed by another INGO member who after watching in disbelief, picked up the Norinco and verified you can shoot holes in shotgun hulls... at 50 yards.

Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder, literally but the short sight radius, hard to see rear sight slot and large front sight pin make it really tough to be accurate, but it is possible to get amazing results with an AK if you practice with it.

My bad - should have qualified my statement of "accuracy." I'm talking about nice, tight groups at 100+ yards.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Got to agree with with every one on the Bulgarian made ak's.... Yugo's i love because they are so over built. if you ordered a 10 pound paper weight those yugo guys will give you something that weighs twice that.... But over all it doesn't matter witch ak you end up with there all never fail weapons

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If you want upgraded sights and your AK has a side rail, you can get surplus illuminated reticle scopes for them. I looked into it and everyone who has one likes it. I personally was going to get one for my WASR but that sorta fell on the wayside.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    polish aks have very good machining

Agreed i was very impressed with the quality of my underfolder i bought a parts kit off midway back when they where $120 had some heavy finish wear on it.... now im debating how to make the nds receiver match the rest of the rifle... im diggin the battle wear look

the wood furniture on these guys is amazing

Alexp120

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    East german AK, then bulgarians, then polish, then yugo, then chinese then romanian. There are no large numbers of true russian - soviet AKM (so called AK47) in US, with the exception of bring backs and some limited "samples". Most of them fully automatic and sitting in private collections. If they were available (soviet ones, made in 70th) they would be equal or better than east german.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Hmmmmmm

I'd almost invert your entire list.

I'd go Russian, Mak90's (chinese), yugo, bulgarian, polish, romanian.

Of course the BEST Ak's are MY Ak's.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "Accuracy" seems to be hit or miss, so to speak; one rifle will (as noted above) put holes in shotgun hulls, while the next may be hard pressed to hit the side of a barn from the inside. Yes, the sight radius is short, and that affects it, but mostly, the philosophy driving the design doesn't put priority on tack driving. With a "real" AK, the selector goes "safe/full/semi" rather than "safe/semi/full". It's technically an assault rifle, but meant to be used like an SMG, vs the M16 which is meant to be used as a rifle. So, yeah, pointing in the general direction and hosing the target down with lead, vs aiming.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    There are no large numbers of true russian - soviet AKM (so called AK47) in US,

then you basically can't call anything an AK-47/AKM because the only true AK-47/AKM are the original russian machine guns.

Everything else is just, literally, a copy or a variant.

If your just talking Russian variants, there are hundreds of thousands of Saigas and SGLs in country today, made on the same assembly line as the current AK100 series rifles.

Top Bottom