• J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Cleaning: Hoppes #9
    Lube: Slip 2000, or Slip EWL

If stuck with nothing else, then whatever comes out of the car oil / ATF dip stick.

I used old prescription pill bottles to store lube in. The pharmacy gave me a few without any crazy looks.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I've got a variety for cleaning shooters, but most will do just fine.

I'm particular about using Eezox on any gun that's better than polymer/AR/shooter class. Real nice stuff. Pythons and antiques all get loved in Eezox.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Breakfree clp, and hoppes 9 for stubborn stuff.

I tried all kinds of the fancy smancy crap, always come back to this combo. Simplicity I guess.

The one "newish" one I tried that I liked was weapon shield, but meh. Always come back to the wombo combo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have several medical syringes left over form the spouses last surgery. A couple of different sizes and gauge.
    I use these a lot. Maybe 6 different ones loaded and marked for content.
    I tend to stay with the Hoppes oil and mix my own blends for specific areas/guns. The Permatex assembly lube is in a modeling syringe with a large tube dispenser instead of a needle. These allow me to apply exact amounts in precise places.
    The little bottle with the long tube on it looks like it will replace the Hypo's I have in my bags.
    The patch's are a plus.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I have had very good luck with BreakFree CLP for decades. Simple and effective.

I like Boresnakes as well and good old fashioned toothbrushes for the rest.

Muzzleloaders are a different story, in case you want to know.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Depends on what I'm cleaning, taking special care and certain lubes/grease on certain guns/bolts/rails etc.
    Break Free CLP, Hoppe's #9, Hornady One Shot, G96 RFG, Lucas Extreme Duty.
    If I had to choose just one do-it-all it's the Hornady

01313_8O8s9HacRhF_0zS0kM_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    I stick to Hoppes, but I'm not beholden to it.

However, the best all-around cleaning/preventative product I use is boiling water down the bore of a milsurp once I've burned through corrosive surplus ammo. Windex or straight ammonia don't do anything. Boiling water, followed by a standard cleaning routine has never let me down.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I stick to Hoppes, but I'm not beholden to it.

However, the best all-around cleaning/preventative product I use is boiling water down the bore of a milsurp once I've burned through corrosive surplus ammo. Windex or straight ammonia don't do anything. Boiling water, followed by a standard cleaning routine has never let me down.

I keep Windex/windshield washer fluid in an old oiler bottle to take to the range when shooting milsurps with corrosive ammo. I know the ammonia is a myth when it comes to neutralizing the corrosive salts, but those things are mostly water, which DOES neutralize the salts. The added benefit is that they have surfactants which do some cleaning when I run a few patches soaked in them down the bores. When I get home, it's just a standard cleaning with Hoppes No. 9, followed by a very light coat of Breakfree CLP. In general, if I've not put too many rounds of non-corrosive ammo through a rifle, it gets a bore snake with just the Breakfree CLP. Handguns get a patch down the bore with Hoppes followed by CLP.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For actual cleaning, I generally just use Hoppe's #9. Works well for the overwhelming majority of what I need it to. I am not a competition / precision shooter and, therefore, don't need to scrub a rifle barrel down to the steel. If I can see fouling in a pistol barrel, I've been using Slip 2000 Carbon Killer. I do not know how well or if it works.

I do have another product that I use for copper fouling, but I can't remember what it is.

I also make liberal use of Breakthrough CLP in a needle oiler for some light cleaning and light oiling. But, as we all know, CLPs are jacks of all trades and masters of none. But for MY purposes, it's lubricating properties + that of Rig Gun Grease take care of all my firearms lubricating needs.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've tried several different products over the years...and I keep coming back to Hoppe's #9 products for just about everything! It's hard to argue with stuff that simply works!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Packed out with the little extended tube oiler in my range bag. Lots of gear in the limited space in the back seat of the extended cab and I made sure the range bag was in a bit of a tight spot. I just checked and no leaks. The cap is fairly tight on the tube. This may well work out.

Top Bottom