• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would submit that Sig (as much as I don't like to admit) makes a good quality 1911. I'm not a big fan of the 229, grip radius too large for my hands, and I'm not really thrilled with the detestable DAK (which I have for a "former" duty weapon), and the DA/SA pistols have an acceptable SA release, but nasty DA pull unless one wants to spend big bucks to have a competant gunsmith smooth the pull out.

I'm a recently certified Sig armorer, and for the price one pays for these pistols, they should be smooth like butter. I found that they are a combination of stamped metal parts, and way too fragile. With that said, however, a lot of police departments issue and utilize Sig pistols. When they work, they usually work well. When they don't, they can be irritating outright nasty instruments to troubleshoot. That, however, can be said of any mechanical device made by man.

I personally find the bore of the pistols to be too high with regard to gripping the weapon, which may be deleterious to adequate and rapid recoil control. However, if one loves the Sig, there can certainly be worse choices. The pistols can be highly accurate in the right hands, but so can any other weapon. It seems that with the Sig, one has to work harder to establish and maintain adequate manipulative skills in order to be a master of the weapon. I would also submit that the P220 is single stack for those with smaller hands, and is of adequate caliber, the .45 ACP.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I made the mistake of getting rid of my 9mm 239 a few years ago. Regretted it. Won't ever get rid of the one I have now.

I originally began carrying my 229 .357 because of its compact size. Thought the 226 was just to big.....until I fired the 226. The 226 is the Cadillac of the Sig Handguns IMHO. More accurate than any of the others, probably because of the longer barrel. Your mileage may vary. And the larger size wasn't difficult to get used to.

I bought an 80's era 9mm Interarms to carry around as a beater, and as a "sacrifice" if something was going to ever get stolen from my vehicle. I didn't want to chance doing that with one of my West German models. It has turned out to be no less accurate or reliable than every other Sig I own. Was really surprised by it.

Don't underestimate any of the old Sigs laying around out there in the 'used' market.
    You can pay half as much as a new gun and in some case end up with a better gun.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also has a Sig 1911 C3 45 acp that looked and fired beautifully. But it was too pretty to carry and I also didn't want to get caught in a defensive situation and get tripped up on the safety lever, being a regular Sig shooter and used to the double-action response.

Last edited:

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I would submit that Sig (as much as I don't like to admit) makes a good quality 1911. I'm not a big fan of the 229, grip radius too large for my hands, and I'm not really thrilled with the detestable DAK (which I have for a "former" duty weapon), and the DA/SA pistols have an acceptable SA release, but nasty DA pull unless one wants to spend big bucks to have a competant gunsmith smooth the pull out.

I'm a recently certified Sig armorer, and for the price one pays for these pistols, they should be smooth like butter. I found that they are a combination of stamped metal parts, and way too fragile. With that said, however, a lot of police departments issue and utilize Sig pistols. When they work, they usually work well. When they don't, they can be irritating outright nasty instruments to troubleshoot. That, however, can be said of any mechanical device made by man.

I personally find the bore of the pistols to be too high with regard to gripping the weapon, which may be deleterious to adequate and rapid recoil control. However, if one loves the Sig, there can certainly be worse choices. The pistols can be highly accurate in the right hands, but so can any other weapon. It seems that with the Sig, one has to work harder to establish and maintain adequate manipulative skills in order to be a master of the weapon. I would also submit that the P220 is single stack for those with smaller hands, and is of adequate caliber, the .45 ACP.

Ive heard alot of negatives about the external 1911 extractor...care to weigh in on the issue? (from an armorers perspective) not a random couch commando ;)

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    IMO you can't go wrong with any of the classic P series Sigs. They just flat work and are great guns.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'd have to say most of the classic P-series.

P6
    P220
    P225
    P226
    P228
    P229
    P239
    P245
    P224's model I want isn't out yet.
    P227 jury is still out, have to wait and see.

Won't pay the price of admission for a P210.
    P230 and P232's slides are to close to the web of my hand for comfort.
    Don't like to carry 'cocked and locked', so that takes out the P238 and P938
    Don't care for the plastic framed P250 and P290 (block).

Here's a couple, 228 in the middle.
    (P239/357sig - P228/9mm - P229/9mm)
    familyc.jpg

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    sig-guy; said:
    P230 and P232's slides are to close to the web of my hand for comfort.

I had a 232. Something about the geometry of that gun actually hurt my hand during recoil, and it wasn't "slide bite". I can fire any other Sig and caliber with no problem but the lowly 232 .380 hurt my hand with every shot.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I have the P238 and P938 as 2 or our current 3 CC guns. Both are highly recommended. They are tiny 1911s in function and looks. The fit both my wife and my small hands nicely. (Our 3rd and large CC is a Ruger LC9.) If I did not already own a Beretta 92FS Vertec (special small grips) in SS that I got from a LEO friend for under $400, I would definitely go for the classic P226. I love the look, feel and trigger. However for the price difference, I will stay with Beretta for a full size handgun for now.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    My first handgun was a Sig 229 in .357 Sig. I let that one go on a trade and bought a 226 in .357 with another barrel in .40. Let that one go in a trade for a Benelli m1 super 90. Wish I had both back. Of the two I like the 226 better but it's a bigger gun and I shot it better. I once bought a sig p250. That p250 for the gun that spent the shortest time in my possession. I had it only 4 days. Two guns I still regret trading. Odd that the gun that only stayed with me 4 days made by the same company.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would also stay away from the 250. Plastic frame, "drop in fire control unit", ad nauseum.

I've had friends that have had troubles transferring the fire control module from one frame to another due to the fact that their fire control module was an earlier version that would not fit into newer version frames.

Oh, and it has the most detestable DAO trigger pull of them all.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I bought an 80's era 9mm Interarms to carry around as a beater, and as a "sacrifice" if something was going to ever get stolen from my vehicle. I didn't want to chance doing that with one of my West German models. It has turned out to be no less accurate or reliable than every other Sig I own. Was really surprised by it.

I wouldn't call an Interarms imported 226 a beater. They are a highly coveted gun by Sig collectors and I wouldn't be leaving that thing in my car to be 'sacrificed'. I would have it refinished and put away. The order for coveted W. German Sig 226s go Interarms, Tyson's Corner stamped, Herndon stamped, then good 'ole Exeter. Just food for thought.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I wouldn't call an Interarms imported 226 a beater. They are a highly coveted gun by Sig collectors and I wouldn't be leaving that thing in my car to be 'sacrificed'. I would have it refinished and put away. The order for coveted W. German Sig 226s go Interarms, Tyson's Corner stamped, Herndon stamped, then good 'ole Exeter. Just food for thought.

Good grief! Had no idea. Gun will be removed from car immediately. It does indeed have the West German stampings but I thought it was a lesser valued gun because it had "Alexandria, VA" on it as well. (I think that's what it says) I suppose that explains the great functioning of the old gun. Thanks for the info.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Good grief! Had no idea. Gun will be removed from car immediately. It does indeed have the West German stampings but I thought it was a lesser valued gun because it had "Alexandria, VA" on it as well. (I think that's what it says) I suppose that explains the great functioning of the old gun. Thanks for the info.

Glad I could help! If you have the original box with the test target then you perhaps have a 'Holy Grail' gun of 226 collector's.:rockwoot:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I had a 232. Something about the geometry of that gun actually hurt my hand during recoil, and it wasn't "slide bite". I can fire any other Sig and caliber with no problem but the lowly 232 .380 hurt my hand with every shot.

Blow back vs locked breach design.

Top Bottom