The Break In At Techres's Shop (Pics & Video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Fellow INGO members,

I have held off on posting about this while the early stages of the case were working themselves out. While things are still early, and as such I am going to be very careful and non-specific on certain points, I would like to share this now:

On July 1, 2011, just after 5:30am our store was broken into by a team of four burglars. In one minute they stole $23,000+ in product including both retail product and customer machines. These are the security videos of the break in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RipLGrBunDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy70mxYrncU

The alarm system went off quickly as the break-in occurred and police were on scene before I got there, but the damage was still done. We had to rebuild our door, inventory stolen items and begin assessing who to call.

There is nothing worse than having to call a customer to tell them that their computer and data were stolen. One was a dissertation and both the original copy and backup - both stolen.

By early afternoon we had repaired door, a new security bar system in the works, and a good idea of just how bad things were for us. It was not a good day and one worker even said, "What's the point of getting all the serials to the police, they never get machines back." We prepared to get a solid and final list to the police anyways.

Then the phone rang. It was the local police working as liaison with the Ohio state police who had just pulled over a carload of 4 individuals. This is the WHIO report on it:

4 Arrested For Role In Computer Store Burglary - News Story - WHIO Dayton

I cannot relay how excited we were to have the police read us the names which were still attached to the machines found in the car with the 4 individuals! Those were our computers!

apple.jpg

By last thursday we had worked out with OSP the retrieval of our machines and with the Preble County Prosecutor what was needed in able to keep the 4 in jail and prosecuted. On Friday I got my subpoenas to appear and the following monday drove 3 hours each way to be in court.

The defense apparently had hoped no one would show so they could attempt to get the charges dismissed. Instead they moved for a continuance to reschedule the hearing for Wednesday.

The defense was less happy on Wednesday because they really hoped no one would show and I did to their dismay.

The hearing went forward, with extra security I guess due to the number and history of the defendants, and I got to sit on the stand and watch defense attorneys go for a hail mary pass.

They failed. They lost and we made real clear that we were ready to do whatever we had to do take these guys off the street. The prosecution said that the testimony was perfect and they likely will plead out in the process.

This was yesterday. Add to that - when I returned to our shop, I got a call from our police here letting us know warrants were being issued and the 4 will be facing additional charges here in Bloomington as well just as soon as Ohio is done with them.

Go team! It is nice for the good guys to win one for once.

Techres

P.S. A huge thanks goes out to all the departments that worked together to make this happen: Bloomington PD, Ohio State Police, Owen County Sheriff Department, Paris Police, and New Hope Police as well!

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Glad to see all worked out for you and the customers, unfortunately you had to incur the expense of travel but as stated well worth it I am sure...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Fantastic story with an inside view, wow. Glad it worked out and thanks for doing everything you could to get these bums tossed into jail.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Sorry the bad guys got you.
    A person can have 100% insurance, but that only helps on the material items.
    The grief, anger, and distrust of fellow man will pass with time.
    On a positive note, it sounds like thru all of this, you,
    law enforcement and the judicial system wins again.
    You get to smile, the bad guys meet Bubba.

Oh ya, good of you to acknowledge the joint efforts of the detectives.
    Without them, we would certainly be living a lawless society

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Can't believe they didn't snatch those awesome red chairs. Those are sweet.

Glad you got your property back, and thanks for taking the extra step in getting them significant time.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Good job techres! Sorry about the break in, but way to do what it takes to have them put away.

NOW, may I make a suggestion? Looks like your store could use some of that 3M security film on the windows/doors!! melensdad just put some of that on his windows and it looks like it makes it darn near impossible to get through a window with out a LOT of effort!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Sorry to hear that this had to happen to your shop but, very glad to hear that in the end just was and still is being served.

+1 to everyone involved (except the thieves of course)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    :stickpoke::stickpoke: If you would allow yourself to carry in your store this would have happened. :D

I kid, I kid. Seriously glad the items were recovered and big kudo's to the agencies that worked on this for such a quick conclusion.

Sucks that your shop had to be broken into though.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If there is one person I'd rather not have testify against me in court, its techres. :D

NOW, may I make a suggestion? Looks like your store could use some of that 3M security film on the windows/doors!! melensdad just put some of that on his windows and it looks like it makes it darn near impossible to get through a window with out a LOT of effort!

That was my first thought as well!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. We had a worker there with his young son not more than 2 hours earlier working late to go on vacation. I also work late often. They were through the door and to the back room by 10 seconds. I have spent much time thinking about those 10 seconds.

2. The shop looks very different now. We are better prepared. Zombie defense prepared.

3. I actually talked to the owner about the film stuff. He likes bars mounted to the building. They would have to take a very different approach if they tried again.

4. These guys will not try again for many years. They will be otherwise occupied.

5. When I left court, I accidentally made a few unnecessary turns. They are from NY but still appear to be a part of something larger. It was nice to make a few accidental turns all alone.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    3. I actually talked to the owner about the film stuff. He likes bars mounted to the building. They would have to take a very different approach if they tried again.

The bars a probably a better idea for a business like that. More of a deterrent factor...

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    gotta admit, the BGs were pretty thorough. They got in and out in about 60 seconds, got $15k + of stuff, kept their heads down away from the cameras and had a clear plan of attack.

I'm glad to hear that they're off the streets and not stealing from people.

Top Bottom