• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    From the IDNR Website:

"The CheckIN Game system is a free online system that allows hunters to check in their harvested game from any device that is connected to the internet. Hunters who use this system will receive a confirmation number that must be written down on a temporary transportation tag for the harvested game species. This system is set up for white-tailed deer, wild turkey and river otter."

The CheckIN link: https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/gamecheck/login.html

The system has been in operation I think three seasons now...could be two...I remember before it was brought on-line there were quite a number in opposition. The reasons ranged from increased poaching to too complex for average hunters. Since then I haven't heard anything. Nothing. That usually means the system is working. So, I was curious. Who's used it and what has been your experience?

I've used it since it went live. I've checked in at home and I've checked in out in the field. This year I thought of another positive for this system while archery hunting wilderness style in the Deem Wilderness area - no carts, no atv's, nothing with a wheel - pack/drag out only. I was within a whisker of taking my first long bow kill and it dawned on me - 2.5 miles from the truck - this is going to be one heck of a drag! However, with the CheckIN system, I can climb a ridge, check in the deer, then quarter the animal making it easier to pack out.

My experience with the CheckIN system has been positive. It's made the check in process easier and more traceable for me. Hunting at Crane I forward my check in documentation through e-mail/text to the NR director for their data collection.

So...what's been your experience?

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Used it once last year when the processer that we took it to (which was a check station) was closed. Used it twice this year, once for my deer and once for my dad's deer. Confirmation number in less than 2 minutes from the field on my cell phone (when I got to an area with decent reception). Very easy to navigate.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I butcher my own so simply breaking out the smartphone and pushing some buttons undoubtedly beats hauling a deer 30 miles just to get it checked in! Especially if it's warm out and it needs quartered asap....that's where it really shines imo.
    I'd gladly pay a few bucks each time to keep it around.

I also think more deer get tagged because of it. Where I hunt, the check in places all close at 6 pm which during bow....is ridiculous considering it's still legal hours. Previously I'd guess most people on that situation simply don't tag and get to butchering it themselves.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I butcher my own so simply breaking out the smartphone and pushing some buttons undoubtedly beats hauling a deer 30 miles just to get it checked in! Especially if it's warm out and it needs quartered asap....that's where it really shines imo.
    I'd gladly pay a few bucks each time to keep it around.

I also think more deer get tagged because of it. Where I hunt, the check in places all close at 6 pm which during bow....is ridiculous considering it's still legal hours. Previously I'd guess most people on that situation simply don't tag and get to butchering it themselves.

You make an excellent point. Other states (like Kentucky) actually saw poaching decrease when their on-line check-in system was brought on line. I thought it was interesting one of the arguments against CheckIN was increased poaching when other states saw the opposite. I have not seen any reports or articles either way. So far. But, what you say makes perfect sense to me too.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've only used the telephone check in systems here in IN and in KY and it's worked very well. I like the convenience.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Piece of cake to register deer, turkey or otter, if you trap them

Better if you know your CID ahead of time.

I think opening day they had some back up, but that is not unusual .

The IT guy at the DNR said that they would improve it next year with more information made public .

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I used it for the first time this year, and I thought it was easy to use and convenient. I had my license print out right there, and all the information needed is either on the deer or license. I don't see this being too complicated for anyone as it is basically copy and paste. I hope to see the system around for a long time.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Used it last year. For all the reasons listed above is why I think it should be kept. Ever kill a deer in the late evening before dusk and have to dress it out in the dark Or hunt on a holiday? Check in stations are not always open or easy to get to.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    It's work great for me. I never did understand the arguments against it. I suppose that some just dislike change of any kind.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I have used it since it came online.. no problems.. I did recommend a friend check his first buck in person so he could get the metal tag to save..
    2 years ago I took 2 does at the same time.. checked them online while in the field.. by the time I got home I had a message from DNR asking if their system had a mistake because it showed I checked 2 deer at same time..
    But I have heard more "gun counter" talk of guys not purchasing a license until they have shot one, & checking it online.. So I hope the DNR is watching the times closely

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I have used it since it came online.. no problems.. I did recommend a friend check his first buck in person so he could get the metal tag to save..
    2 years ago I took 2 does at the same time.. checked them online while in the field.. by the time I got home I had a message from DNR asking if their system had a mistake because it showed I checked 2 deer at same time..
    But I have heard more "gun counter" talk of guys not purchasing a license until they have shot one, & checking it online.. So I hope the DNR is watching the times closely

I heard that metal tags were not to be issued any more. Did your friend get one?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like it. In days past finding an open check station, evening, Sundays, etc. could involve driving all over the place. Now it's easy.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    No problems with it for me….except the question asking…if this will count against my antler less bonus for my county….? Why are they asking me??? I have n ideal what they are talking about and have been putting down "No" . So far no repercussions, not sure about that question or why its even being asked, you can't evaid it and not answer or it won;t go through…..I always feel like I'm being entrapped on a technicality!!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    No problems with it for me….except the question asking…if this will count against my antler less bonus for my county….? Why are they asking me??? I have n ideal what they are talking about and have been putting down "No" . So far no repercussions, not sure about that question or why its even being asked, you can't evaid it and not answer or it won;t go through…..I always feel like I'm being entrapped on a technicality!!

If you are hunting on an urban zone tag, you can not take a urban zone buck with out first taking & checking an Urban zone antlerless.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I like it except for the deer reduction zone question. I have answered wrong twice because there's no explanation without doing a search for what it means. In my mind, since my county allows four antlerless permits per hunter, I was thinking it was a deer reduction zone. I finally looked up the real definition the other day and found out I was wrong. There needs to be a pop-out box next to the question to explain it.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Used it last year. For all the reasons listed above is why I think it should be kept. Ever kill a deer in the late evening before dusk and have to dress it out in the dark Or hunt on a holiday? Check in stations are not always open or easy to get to.
    I am a big fan of the Online Check In System and what MRP2003 mentions here about taking a deer late evening is exactly what happened to me this year and I was very thankful for the Online Check-In.

Top Bottom