• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    One time, when he was younger, Miguel Jr. asked about what LEO's were paid. I told him it depended on a number of factors including agency, geography, seniority, etc.

I followed up with a friend who is a Federal officer letting him know my boy expressed an interest in learning more about his profession. He immediately said, "Tell him not to!" It was sad to hear a great guy like my friend tell me stories that led him to this POV.

It is sad that what should be seen as a noble and rewarding profession basically losing cultural respect (compared to say, 40-50 years ago) and have some of its own members not recommend it for young people. :(

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’m not quite ready to join the doom n’ gloom crowd, but things are changing. We don’t see the numbers for recruiting like we used to, and that seems to be every department. Any time the pool is smaller, there is a potential for quality to suffer. I hope it’s just a dip in the regular ebb and flow, but we will see. The last few people we have hired were younger guys and they seem like solid people so far.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As of 01/04/19 I have 20 years in my pension. I "could" retire right now but I can't draw my pension for 8 more years (age 52). So unless I find a job that pays as much or more as what I'm making now, I'm not retiring any time soon.

Cliff-vesting AND age restrictions on collecting. That sounds like National Guard/Reserve. 52 sneaks up before you know it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I thought staffing was low because of politicians trying to cut costs so they can blow the money somewhere else.

That too, I'm sure. But Phylo is on the money here. You can't expect people to go into any "unlimited liability" career (military, fire, LEO, etc) when a big part of the appeal-- the nobility, the sacrifice, the honor-- is soiled and besmirched and no longer honorable.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Now I'm confused... Should I comment on how glad I am to be retired, or about the tasty cooking ideas upthread?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Another officer was shot in California.

Truly, I have no idea why people would want to be LEOs in California. They just aren't valued, at least from what I can tell.

I'm personally familiar with an officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty in 2005 in the Oakland area, shooter sentenced to death, and the first appeal isn't even over yet.

I'm sure my over-generalization is probably unfair to some people in Cali, but... I just don't get it.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Another officer was shot in California.

Truly, I have no idea why people would want to be LEOs in California. They just aren't valued, at least from what I can tell.

I'm personally familiar with an officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty in 2005 in the Oakland area, shooter sentenced to death, and the first appeal isn't even over yet.

I'm sure my over-generalization is probably unfair to some people in Cali, but... I just don't get it.

The key point: unfair to some people. This is how the majority there apparently want to live. I suspect California is like Illinois, where there are many moderate or conservative people living in the majority of the state, but their voices are drowned out by the Chicago/St. Louis area voting population.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People seemed to like these California officers:

cast.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The key point: unfair to some people. This is how the majority there apparently want to live. I suspect California is like Illinois, where there are many moderate or conservative people living in the majority of the state, but their voices are drowned out by the Chicago/St. Louis area voting population.

Yes, if you live outside LA or the Bay Area, you are getting screwed and your vote doesn't count.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As of 01/04/19 I have 20 years in my pension. I "could" retire right now but I can't draw my pension for 8 more years (age 52). So unless I find a job that pays as much or more as what I'm making now, I'm not retiring any time soon.

Theyre trying to get it down to 50.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

There is a conservative presence in California; I spoke with him, once.
    He told me the legislature is secretly considering a wall at the border to keep taxpayers in the state.

Top Bottom